Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Who is this singer/mando player? Nashville Jam/Goodnight Iren

https://www.brennenleigh.net
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Songs that need BG covers.

I've been a fan of Kate and Anna since their first album was released in 1976. On that same subject there are a few Stan Rogers songs that come to mind as well.
  3. Replies
    Views

Sturgill Simpson Bluegrass Album

In case some folks may not have heard yet, Sturgill Simpson released a surprise album late last week consisting of bluegrass recordings of a bunch of his previous songs.

He cut the album with a...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Help identifying an old banjo

"Interesting that the body is wooden within and metal without."

That design is now called a spunover rim. The style apparently dates from the mid nineteenth century.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: help diagnose amp and/or effects

To me, that sounds like two electric guitar parts. Not a lot of effects running there really, distortion and/or overdrive, could be a pedal, could be just the amp (probably a tube amp). Perhaps...
  6. Thread: Pinkie finger

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pinkie finger

One trick that improves playing over all and makes the pinky's job easier, is to think of the pinky as a bond servant of the ring finger. If you want to deploy the pinky over there there, deploy the...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: New Planxty compilation CD/DVD

This is a delight! Wish they made more programmes like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBObgZsxQBE
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Diagnosis nasty sustain in vintage TB

(bold above added for clarity)

I think the key here is that you said the problem goes away when you "lightly damp all 4 strings at once". To me anyway that points suspicion to something with the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Diagnosis nasty sustain in vintage TB

If you have not tightened your banjo's head in 10 years you might want to check it.
    I simple way is to place a straight edge along side of the bridge inside the edges of the tensioning...
  10. Re: Metronone-How often do you use yours and how do you use it?

I use mine a lot, just about every time I work from method books or written exercises. I keep mine clicked to the music stand.

This video rocked my world and I use the metronome so much more...
  11. Replies
    Views

Boom-chick strumming patterns for mandolin?

How do you all approximate on solo mandolin the boom-chick playing of bluegrass guitar? On an open D chord, for example, playing D (3rd string) on the 1 and A (4th string) on the 3 is obvious, but...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Do the sheet rock screws help this mandocello?

When I glanced at that I first read that it was rednecked at the factory. It was rednecked somewhere but I am not sure it was the factory.:)
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Gospel Bluegrass for Jewish People?

NFI, but Jewish Views of the Afterlife is now in its second edition. FWIW, when Jesus was preaching about the heavenly mansion with many rooms, he was referencing common, 1st century, Jewish "Palace...
  14. Fun practicing with YT isolated drum tracks

When running scales and arpeggios, as a break from the metronome, I practice with Youtube isolated drum tracks of rock and soul tunes, to wit:

Rosanna - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qq65EJEfk4...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Very thin under-nut shim material options

old credit card plastic works well for a shim. you might first try a capo on the first fret just to make sure it is the nut and not some other issue, like a bridge buzz.
  16. Re: interesting design: Yellowstone cutaway oval hole

While you are at it, do you want me to get off your lawn too? :(
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandobird pickup upgrades

My personal favourite for the Mandobird (and I`ve tried `em all obviously ;)

https://youtu.be/lgk9j1JPmZI
    ...Vacancy for a good demonstrator!
  18. Replies
    Views

The South Wind

I was playing around on my Big Muddy M-3 yesterday and recorded this. Hope it works and you all like it.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Finger placement advice.

Just make sure you are holding your fretting hand in a comfortable curve, not flat in relation to the fingerboard. Even large fingers taper to a rounded end that will fit a mandolin fingerboard.
  20. Re: Quality of Harley Benton vs Eastwood/Revelation?

Yes, that's my design. The reason I believe it is better than the stock design is that it allows for better intonation and height adjustment than the stock one piece bridge. Also, there is more...
  21. Building a Solo from the Melody - Michael Daves

I thought I'd go ahead and make a home for this video here in the forum since I think it may be of help to some players. And I also think it stands alone quite well, even though we produced it to go...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: When to play beyond 7th fret?

When you want to call your dog.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Hand-Splitting Maple For Mandolins...

I use the equivalent of a Woodmiser, but the optimum way to mill hand-split billets into sets is with a good upright bandsaw...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Diff between 4 and 8 string electrics

The OP said "I'd wanna sound like an electric guitar."

Then you definitely want a single course 4 or 5 string emando. I started with a Mann SEM-5 which is a very nice emando but ended up selling...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Diff between 4 and 8 string electrics

Given that you can get 4 or 8 string electrics on any body style with any combination of pickups, getting a particular sound is relatively easy; after all, an 8 string solid body w/midi out does not...
Page 1 of 2 1 2