Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Best Mandolin for Traveling From Sea Level to High Desert?

Klos Guitars says they’re coming out with a carbon fiber unit. Hoping it’s a Tacoma style flat top for price.
  2. Re: Best Mandolin for Traveling From Sea Level to High Desert?

Mix, Carbon Fiber.. is the one ... (My 3rd hand A5 had a refret a couple years ago)

:whistling:

the wood & RH changes is the issue . There was an Ovation line, the top a spruce carbon fiber...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowlbacks of Note

I did suggest Demeglio, Ceccherini and would add Puglisi and probably a real others. I have owned a few teens and twenties Calaces and they are excellent and own a few Emberghers. Nothing against...
  4. Replies
    Views

I recently paid $1500 for a 1913 Calace that had been fully restored. I love it, and thought it was a deal!
  5. Replies
    Views

Why not settle for an Italian bowlback? There are quality instruments available for far less than that Calace. I can attest to the tonality of Italian bowlbacks differing from the American bowls I've...
  6. Replies
    Views

And to add more Italian flavor try Dogal Calace RW92b dolce strings best IMHO for vintage bowlbacks.

Consider also Washburn, American Conservatory, Weymann, Maurer etc if on good shape.
  7. Replies
    Views

+1 on Jim's recommendation for a good quality Vega.

I've found them to be the most "Italian" of the major US producers.
    Lightly built (but with a better neck) and very responsive.

Keep us...
  8. Replies
    Views

Bill Foss: I am not sure which model this is either but it doesn’t look like the top of the line. I hesitate to say that a 1950s Calace is not good but it seems like the price is a bit optimistic....
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Punch Brothers "Hell on Church Street"

I’m inspired by their talent & hard work on their craft and respect the need to create the sounds they want to hear…but…other than Cattle in the Cane, Jerusalem Ridge & Pride of Man not much drawing...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish Tenor Banjo Recordings

Just got "Back in Time", the new album by Angelina Carberry and Dan Brouder - it's a good 'un!
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner Buttons Buzzing

I've used Sunburst's solution for dropping super glue into the button at shaft juncture with success. I also like pops1 idea of modifying an existing plate but not sure if my ocd would allow it, lol!...
  12. Replies
    Views

Before these were available I would buy any tuner set and cut the tuner plates apart at the screw holes. It doesn't have to spread so much that the screws won't hold the plates on but will be enough...
  13. Replies
    Views

Same problem on a 1912 Gibson K4 with the original tuners ("Handel"?). Mike at Portland Fretworks removed, super-glued them back on and tightened things up. Buzz is gone, but some of the little knobs...
  14. Replies
    Views

Maybe you didn't run across this thread of mine. Get some of Stew-Mac's thin super glue and wick it up along the shaft. Worked for me.
  15. Replies
    Views

I had a customer drive 2 hours to bring me his mandolin to track down a buzz. Tightened the screw on a tuner button and that did it!
    So look at the bright side, you figured it out yourself!
    I...
  16. Replies
    Views

I pulled the buzzing buttons off of the shaft and wrapped the shaft with teflon tape (plumbing tape) and forced the buttons back on. So far so good.

I really dislike StewMac tuners. Shoddy...
  17. Re: Correct nut files for different string gauges

You can rock the smaller size file slightly to open the slot for a perfect fit - I have done this many times. As usual, the goal is to have slot depth about one-half the string diameter.

For...
  18. Tom Kimber on tenor guitar, mandolin and tenor banjo!

This came up on my Youtube feed - great stuff!

NC80WnsdMpo
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Vitti 'Na Crozza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVPTX30Qw8s

I thought this tune was "Sciuri scuiri".

I like them both.
  20. Replies
    Views

Vitti 'Na Crozza

https://youtu.be/QzAaCHkRIFc

The song was a leitmotiv of Pietro Germi's movie "Il cammino della speranza."
    In 1950, Pietro was in Sicily to start filming his movie. One day at Favara,
    where...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Types of Mandolin Collections

Years ago, when my son was into baseball cards, we met a man who’s goal was to get a card of one player on each team every year. He wanted to follow the uniforms. I thought that was an interesting...
  22. Replies
    Views

Sort of... I am however convinced that no one starts a collection from ground zero. There has to be some attraction to acquiring it in the first place. And the distinction in my mind between...
  23. Replies
    Views

Another type... but it may or may not be a "collector" though.

A musician who collects tools to satisfy creative needs. I'd land here. I'm not looking for anything expensive, vintage, or...
  24. Replies
    Views

... and a third type: just anything that appeals to the crazed collector. I hereby dub this "The Monkey Mind Collection." It works like this: I get some tiny itch of an interest in some oddball thing...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Bobby Osborne instrumentals

According to some accounts Howdy Forrester wrote it alone; according to others Robert Rutland contributed; or maybe Forrester borrowed some material from Rutland.

The tunes Say Old Man and High...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4