Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: 6 mandolins in 2 days

I wish I could have recorded all the changes as we went. I'm a recording engineer by trade, so a phone mic isn't going to do justice to the sound.
    What I can tell you is I was shocked how loud the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Semi-Hemispherical Fret Ends

I did some research on that term a few years ago, and it seems that there is no word in the English language to describe the 1/4-of-a-sphere shape, so we're left with "semi-hemispherical", which can...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello build thread

Looks like I neglected to get any shots of the process of gluing the top linings into the rim, but that is done, and here is the process of gluing the top to the rim. I used an assortment of padded...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Show your cboms!

I've been meaning to post these for awhile. I sold my Beard Bouzouki (among other things) last year and picked up these beauties:

A Crump Octave (came...
  5. snaarmaarwaar in the workshop, NK Forster - Celtic F and guzouki

The lads from http://www.snaarmaarwaar.be/nl/ popped around last week for some tunes. They are playing a recent guitar bouzouki and a Celtic F mandolin. They just emailed me this video. Lovely...
  6. Replies
    Views

Tenor eye candy

Here is my latest tenor guitar. Back and sides are a stunning piece pf Black Heart Sassafras from Tasmania, top is European Spruce, neck Honduras Mahogany, bindings Indian Rosewood, Rosette Black...
  7. Re: First position sounds great but notes die further up the neck

Well there's always the feel test too. You can squeeze the back with your fingers from the sides to the tailpiece side and see if it flexes any. And if your fingers are long enough you can put a...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: new Celtic F mandolin

Well, I don't do anything else Dagger - almost no repairs, just making. But the last couple of years I've been making in batches. It means production has gone up - about 20+ instruments a year. But...
  9. Replies
    Views

More gzoukis....

Been playing around with the camera...this is the latest "top of the range" guitar bouzouki.

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/NigelForster/Guitar%20bouzouki-10_zpsazlwgxws.jpg
  10. Replies
    Views

Nyberg Mandola In Process

Here are three pictures that Lawrence sent me, we are getting near the end of the process. Love the look of the paduak wood. Love the look of the top. Love the look of the neck. Am very excited. ...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Me latest creation...

The body is about 1" narrower than my old Sobell bouzouki shape. So it fits in a case.

Materials - the way I make these days the back and sides materials are almost irrelevant. They are...
  12. Replies
    Views

New Jessen Blue Octave Mandolin

Hi everyone. I think I said I was going to make a blue one some day? Well here it is. I barely had time to get 12 coats of varnish sprayed on outside last week when the temps were in the low 60's,...
  13. Replies
    Views

Rothbury is a lovely place, as is Morpeth. The accent in both towns is stronger than Hexham where I'm from. My old pal Johnny Dickinson is a Morpeth lad. His accent is great.
  14. Replies
    Views

Nigel

'Here is an excerpt of what woods are listed in Appendix II of the CITES convention:

"...the entire genus Dalbergia spp. (except for Brazilian rosewood (Dalbergia nigra), which is listed...
  15. Replies
    Views

Me latest creation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxiozT3Xwfk&feature=youtu.be

Hopefully the new owner will make a video to show you it being played properly!

It's worth staying to the end - we've fitted a single...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: going from mandolin to mandola

https://youtu.be/VozTVxcO2Js
  17. Replies
    Views

Irish Bouzouki Documentary

Hi there folks. I'm not sure if this video appeared on the cafe before. Its a documentary made by an Irish TV Station about the Irish Bouzouki. It features the bouzouki greats, Lunny, Irvine and Finn...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Nigel Forster Gouzouki Build Thread

So, from the top down - I use cheap laminate trimmers, each one permanently set for a different depth of cut. That way I don't have to keep changing the bearings. I just swap router. The routers are...
  19. Replies
    Views

guitar bodied octave mandolin

This one is due out this week -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxlD3KvGiNU&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy!

Nigel
    http://www.nkforsterguitars.com/instruments/guitar-bouzouki/
  20. Replies
    Views

Next - the insides are given a light sealer coat of lacquer. The sides are laminated from Indian rosewood, western red cedar with a modern manmade inert material between the two for mass and...
  21. Replies
    Views

Been busy the last couple of weeks stringing stuff up. It's so time consuming and at the same time stressful: at this stage one slip can cause a lot of problems. You only have to look at a finished...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Jigs on a Forster bouzouki

Nigel

I am going to embed this video properly as it is a really great video really tastefully done by both musicians. I just came back to it after two years.

23. Replies
    Views

Slight diversion - I've been stringing up some of the last batch which came back from the spray shop this last week and plan to get on with the gzouk soon. I only build...
  24. Replies
    Views

The search for the "perfect" way of doing things never seems to end. This year I started pressing frets. I tried it a few years ago and dismissed it, but I thought I'd try it again and if you're...
  25. Replies
    Views

So, I'm on with the last batch of necks for this year - about three or four years back I realised I'd become "sensitised" to wood dust - it creeps up on you so watch out fellow makers. It started...
Page 1 of 2 1 2