Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

I'm learning to inlay. Trevor at TAMCO UK

I thought I would learn to inlay during quiet times in my store. I will post some progress photos as I go along.

The shell hasn't arrived yet so I started with the routing.

I am quite pleased...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Can you talk me off the MAS ledge?

I'm sure that after countless hours of fruitless practice that the hope to become a great player pass will dissipate in even the most well-to-do player. Perhaps, they may even learn to love...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass instruments

This thread has become terrain fought over so many times, it's become (IMHO) both tiresome and un-resolvable.

Willie's original question was interesting. And yes, I can think of several...
  4. Replies
    Views

To be honest, I hesitate to call my own band "bluegrass" simply because I wish to avoid the needless arguments about what is or is not bluegrass. You can prune the tree of bluegrass until all that...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Overpriced mandolins ...

I think Petrus used "argue" in the sense of "disagree," rather than "advocate." "Argue" is a word that can be its own antonym:

I argued that $500 Rogues were overpriced, but Mr. X argued with me....
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Overpriced mandolins ...

Pricing is something that is sometimes hard for many of us to understand with mandolins as with many other things. The observation that, "this is a topic that has been discussed many times here"...
  7. Replies
    Views

Now we're spending our time talking about "what is or isn't bluegrass." Hope we packed lunches…

Let's go back to the original question. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that a well-known...
  8. Re: Who Likes Non-Traditional COLORS on their Mandos?

Mine:

http://jazzmando.com/new/images/SpriteJMwStand.jpg
  9. Re: Who Likes Non-Traditional COLORS on their Mandos?

did somebody say non traditional colors?? This is my Sorensen Pacifica "Jaws".
  10. Replies
    Views

The Country Gentlemen used Mike Seeger's Autoharp on New Freedom Bell, and it fit in well. There's some Autoharp on the Flatt & Scruggs Songs Of the Famous Carter Family, and Maybelle C played a bit...
  11. Replies
    Views

Hand-Splitting Maple For Mandolins...

I get a lot of emails from folks who have a tree in their backyard that is coming down, wondering if it might be good for musical instruments...
    I think that this is the first time--in 35 years of...
  12. Replies
    Views

Trying out my IV kit

OK, got the back glued on. Downhill from here, right? Sanded off the excess, started sanding the body down for pretty. Sand, sand, sand. Got it maybe half way to where it needs to get.

13. Replies
    Views

Re: It Slices, It dices, it plays bluegrass

True enough. In fact, when I was playing a Vega banjolin in a jug band, I used to refer to it as being "utterly devoid of subtlety." :grin: But for the upbeat songs, it was just the thing. As far as...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson as a workplace

Luckily, the CEO, management team and craftsman at my company always seem to agree on when we work and when we take time off. Nice to be past "Corporate Wars".

With 20/20 hindsight, this seems...
  15. Replies
    Views

Loar in Burlington, NC

Had a great time last Tuesday (and Friday...yup, went back for more) at Lowe Vintage Instrument Company on Main Street in Burlington, NC. It's a father/son operation who are working with a veteran...