Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Judged strictly as music, Monroe’s (instrumental) recording of Turkey In The Straw is one of my favorite mandolin pieces. It’s exciting to me and I find it a lot of fun to play. It can be tough to...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Fall camp recommendation?

I agree with Don and Keith; both are friends I made over the years at the Monroe Mandolin Camp. The environment there is very welcoming for pickers at all levels. Mike Compton is very dedicated to...
  3. Replies
    Views

Happy 80th Jimmy Page

Happiest 80th birthday wishes to Jimmy Page, the first mandolin player I ever saw live (Madison Square Garden June 1977), who inspired me to learn this instrument (still working on that).
  4. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

Of all the legions of mandolin players inspired by Bill Monroe, Frank was the first to get Bill’s style exactly, note for note, like a tape recorder. Frank could play it so you couldn’t tell it...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Compton playing my Heiden A5

What Bill said. You make it sing too. And I see my case if not my mando in that video!
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Pickguards - remove or not?

Bob said it for me too-I like the way a pick guard looks on an F5 mandolin. They do protect against pick and finger rash, and they give finger posters a spot to land without wearing a hole in the...
  7. Re: Use of Fast Fret String and Finger board Cleaner

On mandolin and banjo, I use Fast Fret down near the bridge where the pick hits the strings, because it helps the pick get through them more easily for me. But I don’t like the feel of it under my...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Butch Baldassari Tunes

Wow Don you and the Heiden sound terrific on that tune! Your notes are very clear and distinct and your tone is beautiful. That’s probably my favorite among Butch’s compositions and you have inspired...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Monel strings - what to do, what to do?

I tried the Martin monel strings on an F5 style mandolin a few years ago and in my opinion they sounded weak and hard to hear compared to both the Curt Mangan monels and the D’Addario monels. Of the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Doug Unger Mandolin??

1984 Doug Unger F4 style mandolin
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Monroe Style Mandolin Question

I have played with the strap over one shoulder and with the strap around my neck and I never had any problems either way. I slightly prefer to wear the strap around my neck but I don’t really notice...
  12. Re: Gibson Must Now Face Antitrust Litigation in Heritage Case

But not from actually playing them.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: B.B King box on mandolin?

The BB Box is based in part on major and minor pentatonic patterns. Niles Hokkanen, who posts here occasionally, wrote a pentatonic mandolin tutorial with the mandolin patterns called The Pentatonic...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe’s mandolin and other Loars.

In Neil Rosenberg’s book Bluegrass A History, in the photo section between pp. 124-125, is a 1945 photo of Bill holding his “newly acquired” Loar. The mandolin looks new, complete with pick guard and...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Monroe Mandolin Camp 2021

Among all the terrific classes and other events at the MMC this year, it was great to see and pick with Don and Dan and so many other old friends again and to meet Shaun and so many other new...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Starting to see the difference

Playing the dobro is like playing the guitar with one finger. My dobro playing got a lot more “linear” (in Allen’s well-chosen word) after I got serious about playing mandolin.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Right arm placement

In my view, positioning your picking arm the way you are is fine, perhaps even ideal. Coming in straight over the tailpiece and straight over the bridge and strings (without resting on them) centers...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Mother of Pearl Buttons for New Gotoh F tuners

Thanks to all who have replied. I have had MOP tuner buttons for years with no problems. I just replaced a set of Gotoh tuners with pearl buttons that were the original tuners on a 20 year old...
  19. Replies
    Views

Mother of Pearl Buttons for New Gotoh F tuners

Does anyone know of a domestic source of mother of pearl tuner buttons that will fit the shafts of a new set of Gotoh F style mandolin tuners? An MC thread on this subject last year had a...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick orientation to strings

My forearm comes straight over the tailpiece and bridge (with wrist slightly arched so there is little or no contact with the bridge) and my pick hits the strings flat so that the plane of the pick...
  21. Re: Looking for some insight into microtonal mandolin

In my case it took some listening to the old time pickers and singers to get used to this sound. The first time I heard a record of Tommy Jarrell fiddling (many years ago), I thought his intonation...
  22. Please keep the interviews by Michael Eck coming!...

Please keep the interviews by Michael Eck coming! The Scott Napier interview is another in a series of interesting and rewarding reads. The narrative introduction was informative and very well...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Earl taylor's f5

Earl Taylor is one of my all-time favorite mandolin players and bluegrass singers. His style was if anything even a little bluesier and minimalist than Bill’s, and his very distinct notes pop right...
  24. Re: Sparse mando and guitar examples aka taste lessons

Here’s another Foghorn-related recording: Reeb Willms and Caleb Klauder, Oh Do You Remember; very tasteful guitar and mandolin accompaniment to lots of great songs. It has the old time feel.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Quarantine Collaboration - (and appreciation)

That’s a really nice collaboration! You both sound great-lovely tone and really creative melodic ideas. The pace suits the tune well and all the playing, rhythm, melody and harmony, is fresh and very...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3