Search:

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello as an octave?

My custom 10 string 26" scale mandocello covers the range of a mandocello and an OM , going from C to E (C-G-D-A-E).

4PyS26F0HhE

I also tuned my Eastman MDC805 like an OM once:

24wZAswSCn4[...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning mandolin as a fiddler?

Yes. I started on violin when I was 10, classically trained, and played in orchestra all through the end of high school.

I started learning bluegrass and fiddle tunes when I was 13, based on the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Did My Own Speed Neck

I did my first speed neck the same way. The clear finish was flaking off the neck on my Morris hybrid F4. I used a pick to scrape the rest off, then used some 400 grit sandpaper to smooth it all...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Wintergrass Jam 2/22 - 2/25

Where are the mandolincafe folks? I'm usually roving the halls or hanging out in the WAMA suite.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Newbee with Tuner Question

AFAIK Eastman uses Pingwell (aka "Ping") tuning machines on all their instruments. I've changed out tuning machines on a number of guitars and mandolins. In most cases the replacements don't just...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Ten String Bandolim tailpieces?

Allen makes cast 10 string tailpieces. I have one on my 10 string mandola and 10 string mandocello.

Don't know if it will fit your bandolim.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick up Installation

I've installed K&K and JJB piezoelectric soundboard transducers in quite a few instruments, including violins, violas and f-hole mandolins.

There are some differences between installations in a...
  8. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

I disagree with this. My opinion and experience is if you are playing for paying audiences then you have to be on time, be personable and play as well as you can. I play my best when I enjoy what...
  9. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

I'm in the "happy to never play/hear Wagon Wheel again" camp. I think it's the Darius Rucker (ha spell check changed that to Radius - now that's funny stuff) effect. I'm also not playing along on...
  10. Re: internal pickup mounting on an F4 style mandolin

The Tapastring Vintage jack is a 3.5 mm TRS. Some people call them 1/8", but then again we still describe gravitational acceleration in slugs here in the US....

Easy to buy or make a 3.5 mm TRS...
  11. Re: Tuning mandola or octave mandolin with 2nd course an octave h

On the mandola I used a .018 for the higher octave G (plain). On the OM and mandocello I use a wound .023 or .024 for the high G.

A super simple way to do it is buy 2 sets of regular unison...
  12. Re: Tuning mandola or octave mandolin with 2nd course an octave h

My OM, mandola and mandocello are all built by Tom Jessen. One of the many benefits of his instruments is the use of a zero fret, so the nut is just to guide the strings to the tuning machines.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Wintergrass Jam 2/22 - 2/25

I'll see you there Matt! I'll have the Kay bass, and either my Morris F4 hybrid or Cricket Fiddle F5 mandolin (going to the John Reischman intensive on Thursday).
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Wide Nut Fever?

Nut width is something the guys over at AGF obsess over. There are guitar players who say they can only play 1-3/4" nuts, others swear it's gotta be 1-11/16" while others swear anything less than...
  15. Re: Opinions on the Thomann (or other cheap) mandocellos?

I disagree about the necessity of a truss rod. I have a custom built 10 string mandocello built by Tom TJ Lessen of Cricket Fiddle back in 2014. During the build we discussed a truss rod. His...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Bluegrass/Newgrass/Jamgrass Festivals

I live in the PNW. We have more festivals than I have time to attend. Wintergrass in Bellevue WA is probably my favorite. Eclectic mix of artists from legends like the wonderful David Grisman, Del...
  17. Re: Any others here that started their mandolin/instrument later

I encourage you to start attending the jam now. Don't wait or put it off. Sometimes if a person waits until they think they're "good enough" to play with others they end up never going to a jam.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: What kind of hat do I need?

I usually only wear a hat when playing bass. Otherwise it complicates switching from mandolin or guitar because of the strap.

Except for the Mandolincafe hat I'm wearing in my avatar. That...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Tailpiece recommendations?

I really like Allen cast tailpieces. I have them on 4 instruments. Probably not a direct replacement where all the holes will line up though.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning question

INCORRECT. On a tenor guitar tuned G-D-A-E the G is tuned an octave LOWER than the open G string on a standard tuned 6 string guitar (i.e., equivalent to the 3rd fret on the 6 string's low E).

21. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is bluegrass played so fast?

Ever listen to Gypsy Jazz? Now that's fast.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Monel strings

Just one more Curt Mangan fan. I use their monel strings on my hybrid F4, my archtop guitar and my Martin 000-15SM. I put a set on my HD-28 recently when I was out of phosphor bronze.

I use the...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass Jam…just kidding.

I'm just lucky. I have a mostly bluegrass jam every Monday night. Been playing together now for over 15 years. I have another wider-genre acoustic jam every Wednesday night. Every Friday we have...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: USA-made budget mandos, who's who?

Sonny also builds fine F style mandolins. He lives about an hour from me and I've been able to try many of his builds over the years. They are consistently very good. No fancy inlay or binding -...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Fossilized Walrus Ivory Bridge Effect

I think the big ONE is the mandolin itself; build quality, builder's knowledge and skill. The best sounding mandolins to me are those with deep woody tone on the G strings. That's something I...
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4