Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick thickness - how to choose?

I'd suggest thin and flexible for Celtic and tremolo. This isn't a 'one size fits all' thing. Ballet, tap and clog all use foorwear appropriate for their dancing style. But you wouldn't do ballet...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: What have I got here? Bozeman Flatiron

If you have the energy, there's an endless thread about this type of Flatiron
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/3496-Compulsive-purchase-Flatiron-1N

Mine is a bit later model, with...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Women with Mandolins

The hang gliding looks fun:

(Though I'd suggest turning down the audio volume)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAXjKgjaBW4
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman 305 strap button--friction fitted?

Well, a traditional mandolin didn't have such an endpin, nor a strap button. Both are recent additions. Many mandolins have neither. Whether inspired by a guitar or a violin may be determined on a...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Troublesome Creek

I thought "Troublesome Creek" was the name of the song, maybe that's blues rather than country.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this how it starts?

Thanks for asking. Yes, I still have the shim. I was intending to fit a replacement adjustable bridge, so far that is a work in progress. The bridge I bought had insufficient curvature to fit easily,...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Help: How To Improve Picking Accuracy

I think you just need practice. Repetition over and over of the correct movement. In that respect, it will take time.

However, when I had that sort of problem, such as picking the wrong string, or...
  8. Re: Ukulele Chords Played on Mandolin: Something is Wrong

I'm sure we already got to the bottom of this one. I looked at that page, these were the chords:
    If you already play guitar or one of the other instruments, that could help, but the...
  9. Re: Ukulele Chords Played on Mandolin: Something is Wrong

Which site is that? Could you link an example so we can see what you were seeing, please.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Shop goodwill flatiron

I'm pretty sure it is just a reflection. It looks a bit odd as most of us are not used to seeing our mandolins (or anything else really) in the artificial environment of the photographer's studio.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this how it starts?

That does look good. Congratulations!
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Well set up beater mandolin??

The only think I bought was a cheap set of feeler gauges which became my files for nut and bridge. Cost about £5. Oh, and a new blank nut after I messed up by going too low. ;)
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: What to call this position?

I'm sure you're right about the way to interpret this particular tune. Thank you for sharing the full arrangement.

Some pieces arranged for tutoring have one mandolin playing a simple part, using...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: why do mandolins have carved top?

Sure. I once saw one of triangular design, a tapering shape with flat top and bottom as well as sides. It was certainly playable and sounded ok in the context of an informal jam.

There's also this...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Received my Ebay Stradolin

Yes, that sounds familiar. I have an Eastman 305, it's well-made and looks nice, but it's hard work to extract any sound from it. The recently-acquired Stradolin barely needs a light touch of the...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Acquired a Strad-O-Lin

Anyway, I thought I'd add a quick sound sample, doesn't cover all the capabilities of the mandolin, but it's something. (mistakes included free of charge)
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a pic of your cat sleeping in your case

I think you might need another mandolin (case) so they get one each!
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Acquired a Strad-O-Lin

Another look at the bridge:

and the catalogue pages shared by Jim Garber. He gave the catalogue dates as 1952 and 1953.
  19. Replies
    Views

Acquired a Strad-O-Lin

A couple of days ago the delivery man brought me this Stradolin.

I'm pleased with it, definitely satisfying to play. The bridge I think should be adjustable but for some reason the two parts seem...
  20. Re: When did you realize mandolin was your primary instrument?

Yeah, that can be a good motivation. When I was a kid, playing (rather badly) with a bunch of others of similar ability, we all played a single melody line, but in some cases it was a counter-melody...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: the first 3 tunes you learned?

I must admit, I so rarely hear other mandolin players (live, in person) use tremolo that if I do chance upon an example, I'm overjoyed, no matter what the quality. I used to look forward...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: the first 3 tunes you learned?

After cutting my teeth on some self-taught stuff, I started to play with some other beginner mandolinists.
    The first tune I learned with them was Човен хитається.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Anybody know anything?

Manuel, the waiter from Barcelona:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX7CeTXoxyU
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: 1st fret playability on your mando?

Sounds to me as though the nut height is not as good as it might be. But adjustments need to be done with care, easy to go too low which then requires more effort to correct.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: How to enhance mando for legato piece

The phrase "resort to tremolo" sounds rather as though tremolo was something distasteful to be avoided, rather than the joyful experience it can be.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4