Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: My new simi-hollow electric tenor guitar

Jim, Here are some pictures of the back. Pretty simple really.

I'll see if I can't get a video / sound clip up in the next few days.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Right Hand Planting vs. Free Floating

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Unless what you are doing is slowing you down or a henderance of any sort, I see no need to make a change. The most important things to a solid pick stroke are no...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor Guitar, Ukelele or?

The biggest difference between baritone and tenor is if you get a baritone you are all set to go, it’s already set up DGBE and you can start playing right away. If you get a tenor you’ll have to find...
  4. Replies
    Views

I wholeheartedly second this suggestion. I tuned my tenor uke GDAE using wound nylon strings based on a post here from awhile back. The strings are D'Addario Pro Arte as follows:
    1st- E (e'- E4-...
  5. Replies
    Views

Long scale, (fits in a banjo case) Irish Bouzouki, is what my picking buddy uses
    as sing along accompaniment. also mandolin, learning fiddle.

double course, 8 strings octave below mandolin...
  6. Replies
    Views

Hi Joe, who knows what would suit you best, it could be any of your own suggestions?
    Perhaps you could visit a music store and check out a few different instruments...
    However it seems to me that...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: What to do with the sixth string?

John
    Yeah, I think the instrument is for guitarists who want to try the mando, without learning a new tuning. I didnt know about Keith Richards, but I did know Robert Fripp does something very...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: tenor or new standard tuning

I have tried various tunings on a 3/4 scale Cordoba travel guitar. The shorter 23.5"/59.7cm scale allows either a high A4 or B4.

Here are the tunings I have tried:

C2 G2 D3 A3 E4 B4

D2 G2 D3...
  9. Replies
    Views

I second the advice to string a standard 6-string as a 4-string tenor as the fastest and cheapest avenue to a tenor. I bought an Epiphone Wildkat specifically for that purpose - nice P-90's and a...
  10. Replies
    Views

Glad you didn't let the naysayers get you down. Fanned frets a necessity? NO! I have a 26" 10 string mandocello tuned C-G-D-A-E and it plays great. I tuned my old 6 stringer F-C-G-D-A-E. I used...
  11. Replies
    Views

That always got me as well.

From the humble Wikipedia.

The original version of NST was all fifths tuning. However, in the 1980s, Fripp never attained the all fifth's high B. While he could...
  12. Replies
    Views

See the NST Social Group:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=73
  13. Re: Converting 6-string to full fifth tuning - my experiment

The numerical system allows discussions with an absolute reference as to pitches, without having to reference frequencies. Each octave designated by the number runs from C to the next higher B....
  14. Re: Converting 6-string to full fifth tuning - my experiment

Oh, NST - Fun! Some links from other conversations on the topic here at the Mandolin Cafe, from oldest to most recent...
    The Teleberger...
    And here are the guages I am using at the moment...
  15. Converting 6-string to full fifth tuning - my experiment

A few years ago, I got to try someone's five-course mandolin/mandola; since it was mandolin scale length, I guess it was more a mandolin.

I've always been fond of the deeper mandola sound, and the...
  16. Replies
    Views

Oh, and maybe tune your low F up to a G. It...

Oh, and maybe tune your low F up to a G. It wouldn't be strict 5ths, but who says it has to be. The Fripp "New Standard Tuning" is CGDAEG, isn't it? I've used that successfully on acoustic guitars....