Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Damage from bridge pressure

A bridge is a bridge. All bridges have to be fitted to the mando unless the mando is a flat top, but most mandos have imperfections in the flattess or curvature of the top... Frets.com has good...
  2. Re: best way to get both strings in a set to play clearly?

Heavier picks might help as suggested above but some may prefer lighter picks, for whatever reason... It is just a matter of technique.... How you hold the pick, how tightly or loosly you hold the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge replacement

I agree that you don't need the Stumac sanding jig.... Frets.com has good info on sanding the new bridge to conform to the top. You do need the self-discepline of holding the bridge in a verticle...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Is there a good way to make a generic nut slot?

I believe you are overthinking this. Cut a nut which works well for a set of medium gauge strings and it should work fine for heavy and light as well, perhaps with slight adjustment. People don't...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: I made my mandolin sound better!

I bought a brand new mandolin as my first.... It is amazing how, after playing it three hours per day for a year, how much better it sounded than it did when I didn't know how to play it...

Will...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Stew Mac Campfire.neck joint

I am surprised that the screw does not use a lock washer. that should cure its tendency to work itself loose. (Oops,,, I guess it had one.)

Did the original Army-Navy mando use this system? or is...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Trade offs: Vintage v. New

I would simply avoid obvious structural repairs, like broken neck or headstock. A crack or two would not bother me if well repaired, but it should be reflected in the price. I love older instruments...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: National Resonator higher frets set up

Since you are in Michigan I would suggest taking it back to see what they can do... I am sure they set those up all the time and could likely tweek yours in a few minutes,,, hopefully. A nut...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: octave has tune issues

I will make the assumption that you are fairly new to the mandolin, based on the number of messages you've sent.

Your Weber is a fine instrument and is likely not part of the problem.

I...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Poor English in Ads

English usage bothered me at first but then I realized that this is an interest group about mandolins, not spelling and grammar.
  11. Re: Looking for Advice on setup for THE LOAR Lm600 (replacing nut

A Cumberland Accoustics bridge is simply a well adjusted bridge base on an adjustable bridge. no magic about it except that it is more expensive than a cheap one. A cheap nut can look kind of awful...
  12. Re: Looking for Advice on setup for THE LOAR Lm600 (replacing nut

I did not read previous comments answering your question... What you are experiencing is "buyers panic". I think most new mando owners experience it during the early stages of ownership... they see...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: How Often Do You Change Your Strings?

If you have never broken one I would attribute that more to the fact that you know how to install your strings properly. It took me quite a while to learn how to properly install them... Since that...
  14. Re: comparing quailty of instruments: why cant my cheapo keep up?

You might try the opposite and see how your friend sounds playing your mandolin.

Since you can make the $75 mandolin sound better by performing a luthier done eleven fret fretectomy on it, Why...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: What do you want out of your music store?

I am not sure real instrument stores even exist outside university towns. At least not here in central NY. There is one interesting one about 30 miles away run by a guy and his wife. He is a piano...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Here is my new mandolin. (I am terrified!)

Think mandolin real hard and cut away what's left over.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: So HOW BAD is the Fender?

As a beginner you are probably fine with a Fender as long as it has been set up properly...
    It takes some ear training before you can tell the difference and ear training comes with experience... So...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Bandolim dimensions

Jacob:
    When examining the inside of difficult to see mandos I use a womans pocket mirror, a dental mirror and a small one battery flashlight (or two battery if it fits). The larger mirror is used to...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Stradolin goes under the knife

Why in the world would anyone want to hot rod it? These are nice sounding instruments and in fact this model, the top of their line, is fairly unusual. Restoration is one thing, which I think Mike...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo... triplets

I think one of the problems with this discussion is that some of us read music and have a much more cerebral approach to mandolin. These are the tremelo measurers.

Others of us do not, or choose...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Shyness and Playing in Front of People

I am related to people who have spent time in prison and others who are close to incapacitated by thinking that chemicals will enhance their life.... Good Luck Guys!!!

I can't believe that people...
  22. Thread: Kit Building

by bmac
    Replies
    Views

Re: Kit Building

Most people start with a three wheeler, graduate, to two wheeler with training wheels, rudementry two wheeler, a five speed, and perhaps the next level (whatever that is).

Very few of us started...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Shyness and Playing in Front of People

Sorry,,, I thought we were discussing bagel blockers and I am definitly against them!
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on a resonator mandolin

A strap is certainly necessary on any of these... I use a standard leather strap on mine tied to the headstock.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: I can feel the bindings on my mandolin

It is possible but unlikely that you should be worried. It depends, I suppose, on the degree of detail oriented finish that is put into the mando. The binding is simply a protective plastic corner...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4