Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Who was the first American mandolin manufacturer?

I'm so sorry but I uploaded the wrong file...in my haste. Here's the final copy. as attached. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

see post #109 for correct final paper on Mr. Seville.
  2. Re: Who was the first American mandolin manufacturer?

:mandosmiley::mandosmiley::mandosmiley:

I'm pleased to announce my investigation about the first American-made mandolin.
    Thanks to the enormous support from many friends and a tremendous amount...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Derr mandolin, Toledo

It looks to me to be made for Derr by Lyon & Healy. They probably asked for a mix of features like the custom headstock inlay and slightly fancier fretboard markers for a student-grade model. See...
  4. Re: Who was the first American mandolin manufacturer?

I'm very very close to publishing my definitive history on the first American-made mandolin. I'm excited with a sense of trepidation! I think it will help future scholars to continue in the search...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Derr mandolin, Toledo

I am not a great expert in US-made mandolins, but I agree that Derr was probably a reseller, rather than a maker. To me the instrument looks like a run of the mill turn of the century mandolin...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Del and Dawg

It really was a fun show and good to hear and see these two legends on stage together. David was playing a vintage Fern and not 'Crusher'. Definitely had a different tone than what I've heard from...
  7. Re: Nature of instrument in 1845-1847 painting

I think it is simply a mandolin, but as Jim suggests, with a somewhat inaccurate rendering of the bowl. It does look like what would have been an old-fashioned mandolin by the 1840s with the wooden...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Nature of instrument in 1845-1847 painting

Many artists have a hard time accurately portraying instruments. Take a look at some paintings of violins. They often (not always) get the proportions wrong.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: New for Wikipedia, Gabriele Leone

Nice article, thanks for the interesting read!
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: 1762 instrument

Here it is:

11. Replies
    Views

I guess you need big hair to play those English guitars. Here's another one.

12. Thread: 1762 instrument

by Davey
    Replies
    Views

It seems to have five pairs of strings which probably makes it a Cittern. Reynolds was the top Portraitist of his time so I guess he'd have an eye for accurate detail. It's a great painting.
  13. Re: Who was the first American mandolin manufacturer?

A careful reading of MTR's November 19, 1904, Vol. 39, No. 21 shows just how tight the race was with Bohmann given a slight edge over Lyon & Healy. see attached
  14. Re: Who was the first American mandolin manufacturer?

Lots to digest and I agree on most points made; however, I will say that the original question should have been expressed in this way: the first musical instruments manufacturer who happened to also...
  15. Re: Who was the first American mandolin manufacturer?

You bet he is credible. Clarence Lockhart Partee was the founder and an editor of "Cadenza." He sold it to Walter Jacobs in Boston around 1907.

Partee was a student of Bohmann but what we don't...
  16. Re: Gibson A mandolin in China, early 1930s. Guan Zilan

There is a Wikipedia article on this artist.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guan_Zilan
  17. Re: Gibson A mandolin in China, early 1930s. Guan Zilan

Back in the 1930s, Shanghai was a most cosmopolitan city and had been under western domination for decades- the British and US control was known as the Shanghai International Settlement. The city had...
  18. Re: Gibson A mandolin in China, early 1930s. Guan Zilan

That is a Gibson A yes. There were no copies at that time with that tailpiece. She could have picked it up there or she might have had the means to travel to the US.
  19. Replies
    Views

Che Apalache

Interesting band from Buenos Aires using bluegrass instruments to play Latin music.

I don't know them but like this video and heard from a Baltimore old time and bluegrass email I subscribe to.
  20. Re: New mandollin article on Wikipeida, Giovanni Vailati

Good article, :mandosmiley: thanks!
  21. Re: New mandollin article on Wikipeida, Giovanni Vailati

Nice article about a mandolinist unknown to me. Thanks!
  22. Re: Lloyd Loar, 1905. What instrument is he holding?

Possibly a "Style 4" made between 1898 and 1914.
  23. Re: Lloyd Loar, 1905. What instrument is he holding?

I also think it's a Martin.
  24. Re: Lloyd Loar, 1905. What instrument is he holding?

Looks a bit like a Martin but I'm no real expert.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Most vital mandolin articles

If it’s just classical, Katerina Lichtenberg. But if we can stretch it, Dave appollon as well.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4