Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: D' Adario Stainless Steels

They're actually my go to. I don't think they're THAT much brighter, but definitely sound more metallic. I prefer them because I like the sounds I can get on the open G and D strings. I feel like...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Wayfaring Stranger Mongolian Throat Cover

The bowed instrument is called a morin khuur, referred to as the horse-head fiddle, the two string plectrum instrument is called a tobshuur, and the guzheng like instrument is the yatga. A group of...
  3. While the article as a whole was interesting, I...

While the article as a whole was interesting, I definitely have a bone to pick with some of the points made. I'm 22 and have a hell of a lot of respect for the old musicians and the old instruments....
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Guild mandolins? How many? What's the deal?

For what it's worth, I played a gig with the D-35 for the first time last night and I'm definitely satisfied with my choice. It's nice flat picking on a guitar that's actually meant for flat picking!
  5. Replies
    Views

Visiting Girouard's Workshop

Greetings everyone!

I hope your holidays went well. I'm down in Rhode Island visiting my girlfriend's family, and I had recently noticed that Girouard Mandolins is based in Pawtucket. So I...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Any info on this mando-banjo?

I think you're right Mr. E. And the bracing on that CF link is spot on, Allen. I have yet to actually see this mandolin in person, but I think we're onto something! Thanks a bunch!
  7. Replies
    Views

Stolen instruments, sharing for awareness

Got a call at the shop I work at the other day to be on the lookout for these two instruments stolen at the Jennybrook bluegrass festival in Tunbridge, Vermont. A Tony Rice Santa Cruz and a McKenna...
  8. Re: Just for a Chuckle-- Why don't people recognize a mandolin?

9. Replies
    Views

Re: I finally got a Weber

Here she is

10. Replies
    Views

Kids in a candy shop (no mandolin content)

Recently posted by the Fretboard Journal (great publication). At Wintergrass they hosted a seminar featuring Chris Eldridge and Julian Lage and about twenty different beautiful vintage guitars. ...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: The Problem of Rootlessness

I've had this discussion with so many people in so many forms. David Grisman, Barry Mitterhoff, and Andy Statman are all New York based Jewish mandolin players, and are some of the most...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mike Marshall and Hamilton De Holanda

Hmm, video didn't work. Here's the link to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3UluF1YNGA
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Boston Folk Music Scene?

It's fairly small and self-contained. There are a lot of new acoustic groups around now, but they tend not to stick too close to any tradition. There's an old-time (loose restriction) jam at the...
  14. Replies
    Views

Everyone's a critic...

Was watching TNG with some people last night and stumbled upon this gem:

N86icfWM03g