Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Left-hand pinky woes....any tips or advice

Go to my videos page

http://www.petimarpress.com/videos.html

and watch the "Mandolin Basics" vids on the left hand and the ones on the pinkie to make sure you have good ergonomics.

Below I...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: I made my mandolin sound better!

One suggestion , as I've noted in an earlier reply , would be to record your mandolin when fairly new , if possible , and again some time later under exactly the same recording circumstances (same...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Difference in Loar Models, help?

Is there any chance of getting a hint as to the time frame of this amazing price drop of the LM700? One month? two months? Three? That could turn things in a certain direction.
  4. Replies
    Views

Wow, and again...

I'm in the camp of vibrations over time allow the instrument to resonate more sympathetically. However, what does it really matter? The end result is that over time, with the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Left-hand pinky woes....any tips or advice

You have to take measured, dedicated steps to increase pinky strength and dexterity, particularly for new pickers. It takes time. Playing Blackberry Blossom once or twice a day won't reallly do it....
  6. Replies
    Views

Hi Eric,

Will do. I am supposed to be at the top of the list for these. I ordered them when I first heard about it (I believe it was 2011).
    We do not offer financing directly, but we accept...
  7. Replies
    Views

Check with Pete Martin at petimarpress.com as he has some very good advice for pinky exercises.
  8. Replies
    Views

I've been working on my pinky for a long time, and it generally does OK. But Blackberry Blossom is sort of my white whale when it comes to using the pinky - especially when the tune is played fast. ...
  9. Replies
    Views

P.S. I have started working with some "Baoding Balls" a Chines hand exercise tool, that a late freind left me, maybe for just this problem, I'll report back in a few months...
  10. Replies
    Views

Recently I am trying to practice more, and playing more "hard" tunes and complex chords to get a little better (after years at plateau) before body and brain break down entirely... and noticed the...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: What's up with Gibson?

Right so, Eric, in trouble for being in the wrong thread, that is. :)
  12. Replies
    Views

Kimble F brings me back

Well, I'm finally picking up the mandolin again. Back in 2008, due to a number of reasons, I put the mandolin down and sold most of my mandolins. I pretty much played my guitar. This year, I got the...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Can This Scroll be Enhanced?

Right, the KM1000 is far from a 5k+ Mandolin and as such, you have to be willing to accept some imperfections. However, it's interesting to me that many of these KM1000 Mandolins have the binding set...
  14. Replies
    Views

I was aware of something like that going on, but interesting read nonetheless, cheers!

I didn't expect results this soon though, I haven't really played it hard or much in the three years that...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: The Loar eBay purchase basketcase disaster

Well this thread is yet another object lesson on the pitfalls of dealing on Ebay. My guess is the seller is not an authorized.dealer so no recourse with the manufacturer. And you havent heard back...
  16. Replies
    Views

I find it somewhat humorous that trad-F5 owners are so particular about that little binding point on the curly bit of the scroll, and mine's just sitting here like:

--Tom
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin kit quality vs store bought

If it cant be done with a hammer, i cant do it. I considered it because a friend of mine offer to do it/help. I am two left hands when it comes to fine crafting. I am going to take a look at one...
  18. Replies
    Views

Yes, it's a KM1000 - good eye Adrian! To me, the scroll is the single most beautiful feature of an F5. John is on target when he said the "details that stand out to one person can be completely lost...
  19. Replies
    Views

Yeah, the LM-700 street price will drop $200.00.

The two new lower models will have a carved solid spruce top.
  20. Replies
    Views

I've built two Siminoff kits- first an H5 mandola and then an A5. I should have done it the other way around, but I built the mandola for my daughter while she was still in high school. The mandola...
  21. Replies
    Views

Yes,It does look better.As the guy that pointed mine out said ,"more graceful"
  22. Replies
    Views

112959112960112961Here is one that I re done. The stain could have matched a little better, but I'm happy with it.But nobody noticed it .Not too many noticed it before.
  23. Replies
    Views

I've been in the lutherie business long enough to know that details that stand out to one person can be completely lost on another, and the scroll binding is one of those things. The scroll, being...
  24. Replies
    Views

While there is much truth to this, it can still be done. If you are not already very handy (a tradesmen or technician, for example) and not used to troubleshooting and technical problem-solving, then...
  25. Replies
    Views

Eric - I put a link to the mythical 590 above, in post #5. http://www.theloar.com/products/mandolins/mandolin-lm-590-ms

Its features are pretty well explained and illustrated. You can back up from...
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4