Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Big news from Gibson!

Does it come with a Virzi option?
  2. Replies
    Views

The Dawg's loose again!

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content/1019-New-Music-from-Acoustic-Disc-Dawgnilo-Danilo-Brito-and-David-Grisman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WElqaeMP09o
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson's 1923 F-5 Master Model Reissue

how i would answer the question, if you like the tone of the Dave Harvey builds(i do) and you play the flat fretboards with the small frets with no issue, you will not be disappointed.

i've had a...
  4. Leather Britches played by John and Steve Reischman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGK8BwJahOI

and while we are at it, this came right after the above video, and probably most of us have watched it(more than a few times) i thought it might be a...
  5. Thread: case goodies

by rickbella
    Replies
    Views

Re: case goodies

When my 1925 Washburn Professional (by Lyon & Healy) arrived, I found this charming, crumpled note in the case.

6. Replies
    Views

Re: case goodies

Installment Plan Sales Receipt. Came in original case with 1920 Paddlehead.
    (Thanks Tim S.)

7. Replies
    Views

case goodies

I love to find some "extra stuff" in the cases with a new purchase ...

this time something different than the usual old rusted string sets
    i dig the return policy on the envelope , never seen one...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Cafe Hat

I'm all for progress, yet I value tradition. I thought something valuable was lost when, in the wake of the popularity of "The Preppy Handbook" in the early 80s, the Yale Co-Op began selling baseball...
  9. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

"Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?"

Kinda depends on how badly you need kindling and how much you're willing to spend for it. :whistling:

How about making the day you do...
  10. Early 1900s University of Washington Mandolins

I work at the University of Washington and came across some old photos of campus and had to scan this one in for you all.

I thought it was interesting to find five mandolins in this... Orchestra?...
  11. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

I was always told not to leave in instrument in a car in conditions that you wouldn't leave a dog or baby.
  12. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

Depends. Is it a Rogue or a Gilchrist?

I wouldn't want the Mando to sleep any colder than me. Will it get lonely and perhaps go with a passing stranger? I've heard they sometimes do that.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Grommets vs damper on tailpiece

It may not be the most aesthetically pleasing but a small piece of leather laced through the strings in-between the bridge and tailpiece works for me.
  14. Thread: Glen Duncan

by Astocek
    Replies
    Views

Glen Duncan

I've been thinking about Glen Duncan since hearing about his accident. The Mandolin Store raffle is a great way to support him.

Here's a cool video of Chris Henry interviewing Glen. I am sure...
  15. Replies
    Views

Two Stellar Northfields At Dusty Strings

Was down in Seattle last week and made my usual drop-in to Dusty Strings to check out mandolins for my students here in Bellingham. There were two mandolins in particular that I played that really...
  16. Re: "Elderlys" (To Be or Not To Be Confused With Elderly)

I took a look at the store after Bill brought this to our attention and grabbed a few screen shots. It is a straight out scam. We won't be listing the URL, just be aware. If something looks too good...
  17. Browns Ferry Blues-posted today, loaded with living icons

goodness, everybody on this are top shelf. Sam Bush playing mandolin and bass, quick glimpse of him holding a blonde mando(does he have a new axe?), Bela, Tony T, Michael on fiddle and as always is a...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue chip picks

I've amassed close to a dozen different Blue Chip picks over the years. My kids, and others, seem to always want to know what to get me for Xmas and my birthday. I just provide a link to a wish...
  19. Appreciation Post for the Mandolin World (not the store)

I'm Jason, and I'm a recovering banjo picker. I started mandolin just over a year ago and have been at it, pretty obsessively, I'll admit. Besides practicing and learning the mandolin like my life...
  20. Replies
    Views

This Baby's Got Back!

I am posting an image here (just for the hell of it) of my all-time favorite Lloyd Loar F5 back. The mandolin in question is a signed, February 8th model done in a gorgeous tobacco finish. To me...
  21. Replies
    Views

Beato Interviews Bela!

Just saw a fantastic interview on YouTube last night - Rick Beato with Bela Fleck. What an amazing show... so much great information that would be of interest to any/every musician. Can't think of...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastwood Mandocaster--low volume E course

I had the same issue with my Mandocaster - the A was noticeably too loud and the E was too soft. I tried different gauge strings (12 on the E and 11 on the A), lowered the height of the E and raised...
  23. Replies
    Views

RIP Tom Smothers

I still do some routines I stole from these guys on stage. RIP Tommy.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/comedian-tom-smothers-dies-86/story?id=105945690
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Giacomel A-5

I wasn’t aware that need was part of the equation.
  25. Re: Supporting each other's online presence...

Interesting, but not something this site is willing to engage in as you see it, and we will explain.

First off, the Mandolin Cafe is intended first and foremost as a place to share information,...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4