Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Piccolo Mandolin Building Project

I became interested in piccolo mandolins several years ago and finally had Mike Black build me an A4 style piccolo about two years ago. I have found it to be a real joy to play, and it often is my...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Pics of the two mandolins. The more guitar shaped instrument is the second of this design after I posted the first one a few weeks ago. This one is around 1/4" wider and longer and seems more in...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolinetto Build (Bracing?)

Here's the bracing I've decided on. I'm happy with how stiff the top feels. I'm certain it will be able to withstand the string tension, and I'm hoping it'll sound good too.

4. Replies
    Views

Guitar Bodied Mandola

Folks, I'm pretty excited.

Over the last decade or so I've built about a half dozen instruments. But all electric guitars and basses and whatnot. They were really cool, and fun projects, but the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Electric Viking Mandolin

Hi,
    I got tipped that this community would perhaps have some interest in this instrument.

This is a custom made mandolin made by Harald Hougaard of Norway. It is a normal scale mandolin tuned as...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: 1911 Gibson A-4 Restoration

Complete with new Mother of Pearl nut and new ebony saddle on the original bridge.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Alrite Total Makeover

"It aint over until the flat lady sings".

10 light coats of satin lacquer, leveled with 600grit, then a couple more finish coats of lacquer.
    The tuners cleaned up with naval jelly.
    I used an...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: 2018 IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year???

Ummm, do you think that maybe Volume 2 could benefit from, say, Rob's set up guide?
  9. Re: The Locktender's Reel -Tim Connell And Eric Skye

In case anyone want to play along:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/min7b5/Locktenders%20Reel_zps80nxsdhf.jpg
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Setup with Detailed Photos

The bridge saddles need some refinement - the as received string notches are deeper than necessary and some carving needed to improve on the intonation. I believe that for archtops the string notches...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

My first Irish bouzouki assumed its ultimate shape this week. Final sanding and pore filling are the next tasks.

12. Replies
    Views

Adventures in Slotting, or Fretty's Back

So I'm getting a bit tired of cutting fret slots by hand, I don't have an extra table saw to dedicate for that task (I'm sure I'd hate changing the blade every time I felt the urge to make a...