Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: 30 Bluegrass Tunes EVERY Mandolinist Should Know(D Benedict)

Just in case, for those who just want the list...

Kentucky Waltz
    Soldier’s Joy
    Angeline the Baker
    Cattle in the Cane
    Cherokee Shuffle
    Old Joe Clark
    Red Wing
    Wildwood Flower
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD Ellis A4 Deluxe with Hummingbird inlay.

What a beaut!! Congratulations!! I’m patiently waiting on my F5. 😃
  3. Thread: String woes

by withfoam
    Replies
    Views

Re: String woes

I'll also add that I recently went 11.5, 16, 26, 40 and it's amazing. I love the feel. I also love my Mapes.
  4. Thread: Bright tuners

by withfoam
    Replies
    Views

Re: Bright tuners

Just bought one. I've been having the same issue with the brightness of the D'Addario ones. I love how small they are, but in any outside light, they vanish. Can't wait to get my TC UniTune.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Noise, pointy vs rounded, etc.

I started with the CT-55 and have slowly gotten rounder and rounder. Now I'm using the E shape from Apollo Picks (similar to the SR from BC).
    I also like the new rounded Clown Barf ones from Golden...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Do you name your instruments?

Breaking with the thread, YEP. I don't name them all, but some I do. My Collings is named, "Tex." (Pretty obvious as to why).
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Grace Design BiX vs. Red Eye

Thanks, Daniel and Perry! (Also a fan of the podcast, Daniel).

@Daniel, would you say the ToneDexter would still be worth it even if I just have a couple of mics? I have an Ear Trumpet Labs...
  8. Thread: Mapes Strings

by withfoam
    Replies
    Views

Re: Mapes Strings

Yes! I just got my strings this week. 11.5, 16, 26, 40. SO GOOD!
  9. Re: NMD Girouard Concert A5 (pictures and a video)

Congrats!! It's lovely and what a lovely rendition of Over the Waterfall. Thanks for the picking!
  10. Replies
    Views

New case from Northfield

Interesting new case from Northfield.
    https://www.northfieldinstruments.com/northfield-store/airloom-deluxe-mandolin-case

"taking leads from the styling found on the most famous oblong cases ever...
  11. Re: How to Keep a Headstock Tuner from Damaging Your Instrument

THIS is the quality content I come here for. :)
  12. Re: How to Keep a Headstock Tuner from Damaging Your Instrument

I have one on my newer Collings and I love it. That said, I couldn't seem to find the "right" screw and ended up using what came with it. It still bothers me though. I wish I could find which screw...
  13. Thread: Nmd

by withfoam
    Replies
    Views

Re: Nmd

Congrats!!! Collings make great stuff. Been super happy with mine so far.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis Waitlist

A beauty so far!! I'm 546, so here's hoping Tom has a speedy recovery. :)
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando upgrade - opinions sought

Personal experience. I had a $700 Eastman, it was really nice and sufficed. Bought a KM-1050 and it was an upgrade, but not crazy upgrade on sound. Recently bit it and got a Collings MF Deluxe and...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Hidden D'Addario Micro Tuners....

I was able to install the tuner Geno links to without an issue on my Collings. I love it. No adhesive and no clip to look at.
  17. Replies
    Views

Poll: Re: Poll - Gold vs Silver

Same as above. It really depends on the finish of the instrument. I'm typically one for silver, but for a lovely mando with rich brown and orange/yellow tones, I prefer gold.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: New string formula?

Mapes' strings are coated with...something...they've lasted a long time for me and I usually blow through and corrode strings. They also keep sounding great. Might be worth a try.
  19. Re: What Sensation Should You Feel for "The One?"

I'm similar to Kevin above. For me, the first strum was all it took. I went into the shop thinking I was about to plunk down 10k on a varnish they had and started playing the others they had. I...
  20. Re: Rest Strokes - a means to an end, or part of regular techniqu

I've found rest stroke exercises help keep me aware of how I need to attack with my right hand for which tone I want. There's a specific way that I can attack my G string with a rest stroke that will...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Please School Me On Mandolin Strings

I have to admit I was unsure, but I ordered a custom size set from Mapes (they were cheap, too) and they have been awesome. Super long lasting and sound great. I find I'm tuning less, but maybe...
  22. Re: Campanella, Red Diamond, Northfield, Collings experience

What a beauty! Congrats!!

I did the same thing recently and went into Gryphon Strings thinking I'd walk out with an MF5V or Northfield they had, but once I tried them all, I was actually really...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin flagship song?

Guess I need to go look up Rawhide...lol
  24. Re: Clean fretting where there's more finger than board?

What David L said. You may have to adjust the finger behind it to slop back a bit, but the main finger fretting the note is the important one.
    Take it slow and you'll see progress.
  25. Re: Best exercise source for fast accurate picking?

More than specific exercises though, I find it's usually the case of playing slowly and consistently with a metronome. Then raise the tempo once you can play it a few times perfectly. Start slower...
Page 1 of 2 1 2