Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: I can’t find The Blues in my Mandolin

Could it be that you are missing being able to bend notes as effectively as on guitar, harmonica, sax....?
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Happy Holidays!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8cvTx-AEic
  3. "Over The Mountain (feat. Sierra Hull)" - Cory Wong (Live @ Brook

Wow!

4:40 and beyond, goodness, amazing musicianship. i would so be hitting wrong notes, off time, hands, eyes, brain tired, forget where i was and be looking at Cory like, "ok, i'm done, please...
  4. Replies
    Views

Billy Strings on Mando

Not my style but cool Billy Strings is making the rounds with all the legends and is doing some mando too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGj5MONmdlE&t=90s
  5. Replies
    Views

Taj Mahal & Ry Cooder--mando content

Ry's mando is perfectly tuned for this--sounds just like it should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxvORYMCppw

RxvORYMCppw
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Dagger Gordon playing Here, there and everywhere by the Beatles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxQD-EAD02g&list=PLbqQKQRJF6TbAdYKCkRQ-hhgxTlA1TdCs&index=5
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Fret Material / Type Differences

http://www.lutherie.net/fret.chart.html

Scroll down to see mando specific charts.

I'm up for a re-fret re-plain and I've decided to try EVO. From what I've read the shape of frets (width and...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: neck profiles in classifieds

Here's a helpful image I found from a 7 year old thread:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=143222&d=1454259948

I confess that up to a few minutes ago, I wouldn't have...
  9. Replies
    Views

Easy Jazz chords

10. Replies
    Views

Re: Where are all the (new) mandolins?

I have 5 (one on permanent lend to a buddy) and never sold any. I'm the problem :))
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Where are all the (new) mandolins?

You sold 2 and bought 1…..I’d say you’re part of the solution :mandosmiley::))
  12. Re: Gibson Master Model vs Custom Master Model - advice please

I'd let him take the risk on the investment then. All your questions are very difficult to answer in terms of how easy it would be to sell. Depends on the market at the time, if someone happens to be...
  13. Re: Gibson Master Model vs Custom Master Model - advice please

I would like to give you my opinion on purchasing this beautiful Gibson Master Model F5. If you have the resources to acquire it, and feel like it is the "one" you would be happy to have forever,...
  14. Re: Gibson Master Model vs Custom Master Model - advice please

Gibson has used the Gibson Master Model label on every mandolin they have built in the last 20 years or so. From the F9 model, F5, Ferns, to the actual Master Model. Gibson mandolins usually have 2...
  15. Re: Gibson Master Model vs Custom Master Model - advice please

Even new strings still in the package, unless the new sealed packages, will age. I would ask if I could change the strings and play it with a little more vigor to see how it would sound. After...
  16. Re: Gibson Master Model vs Custom Master Model - advice please

I would go back and play it as loud as I cared to; if you're this concerned with cosmetics, perhaps a new instrument is not the best route for you to follow. Used instruments have a more mature...
  17. Re: Gibson Master Model vs Custom Master Model - advice please

A mint instrument is generally worth more purely for condition.

I don't think that there are fewer buyers for custom instruments, which usually have desirable features.

I suspect not....
  18. Re: Gibson Master Model vs Custom Master Model - advice please

To succinctly answer your questions:

No, I would not buy it. It sounds like an oddball instrument.
    The market for a “proper” Master Model would be much more efficient should you decide to sell.
  19. Re: Gibson Master Model vs Custom Master Model - advice please

If it doesn't have "it" now, there's no reason to believe that it will have "it" later.

An unplayed instrument is still used after its initial sale from an authorized dealer. Kind of like driving...
  20. Re: Gibson Master Model vs Custom Master Model - advice please

^^^THIS!! I'm not convinced this is a true varnished Master Model. And $9k is definitely too much $$ for a modern, lacquer Gibson F5.
  21. Re: Gibson Master Model vs Custom Master Model - advice please

Sounds like you have choices here. Look for a played-in instrument that is worn equally to that playing, or a new-condition instrument that hasn't been played-in yet. Most likely you won't find a...
  22. Re: Gibson Master Model vs Custom Master Model - advice please

If you don't like the sound of the mandolin don't buy it.
    I've had my 1993 Gilchrist A3 since it was new and while it has matured over the years it sounded fantastic when it was brand new.
    At this...
  23. Re: Gibson Master Model vs Custom Master Model - advice please

Remember, even the F5G has the "Master Model" label inside. A true Master Model will 99% of the time be varnish finished and have a serial number "V-70XXX".
  24. Re: Gibson Master Model vs Custom Master Model - advice please

It seems to me you do want to buy the mandolin and you’re looking for justification to take a chance on it. If it’s a really good price, you could always play it (carefully) for some time and, if it...
  25. Re: Gibson Master Model vs Custom Master Model - advice please

Assuming you're buying an instrument to play it, if you don't like the sound now, don't buy it. If you think other strings, pick or different room will enhance the sound, good luck to you.

If its...
Page 1 of 2 1 2