Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade?

I have liked the Collingses and Northfields I've played but I certainly wouldn't buy one blind if I loved my current instrument.

I'd say the time to upgrade is when you:
    1. Play an instrument and...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Neck shape/feel: "V" vs rounded

I own mandolins with both C and V profiles and don't have much of a preference. To me, action is the #1, 2 and 3 most important factors in playability.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Flatiron truss rod wrench?

Update: I cut/scraped the excess away with a knife. The nut is free now and my action is much better after fixing the bow and sanding the bridge down a little.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Low, Low Frets on SOL

If it sounds great and plays great, why change anything?
  5. Thread: Aged-tone?

by milli857
    Replies
    Views

Re: Aged-tone?

Seems like a marketing buzzword to me.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Yet Another CF Mandolin?

I have a plastic ukulele that I have tuned to GDAE it's basically the same concept. Only $50 too.
    ukulele:...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Demonstrating a mandolin

I think some of both is good - first play some open strings, single notes, open chords, and closed chords. Then play a fiddle tune to see what it sounds like in more context.
  8. Re: Should I visit Eastman factory and buy a mando in China?

It'd be very cool if you could take a peek inside the factory, although I don't know if they'd let you do that.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Question about recent Gibson F9's and F5G's

Weber F styles come up for that price range pretty regularly as well, and they tend to have a pretty traditional sound.
  10. Re: Mandolins are 2-3x more than equivelent guitars?

It may be that there's much, much better options at the low end (i.e. <$500) for guitars than mandolins.
    $200 can get you a pretty decent Yamaha guitar, but the lowest end of mandolins that seems to...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Oval vs F holes

It's hard to get the difference across in words. They sound different, there's not one better or worse. Here's a comparison of two Ellis A-styles with F or oval holes; it should give you an idea of...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: USA-made budget mandos, who's who?

Sonny has a few As on the classifieds for $1050 and a 3 point for $1300.
    I also have one of his Fs and it's excellent.
  13. Incredibly ornate French bowlback on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314654838959?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=mssjzDwLS8y&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=oi0Mk8-cTK6&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

14. Re: Sierra Hull & Billy Strings "What Does the Deep Sea Say?"

These two need to release a duo album!
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Just picked my son up his first mando.

Seconded on trying everything out at Fiddler's Green and letting your ears make your decision for you. It's the only way you can be 100% sure you'll be happy with what you get.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: I would like to find a beater

Yeah, the old Flatirons really have gotten pricey. I had mostly given up on finding one at a reasonable price until one popped up in my local music store earlier this year for $400.
    The only...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: I would like to find a beater

I have similar feelings to JeffD. My travel/camping mando (not sure I'd call it a 'beater') is my Flatiron flat top. Sounds really nice, loud enough to take to jams, it was already pretty worn when...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky KM 172 for $245 USD

I'd go for the Kentucky if it's in good shape.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Mandolin Stand?

This Hercules stand is great:
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UKS100B--hercules-stands-uks100b-auto-grip-ukulele-stand
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: VERY quiet mandolin for practicing?

Or a (clean) piece of sponge!
  21. Re: Interesting repair on Gibson A50 Shopgoodwill

These Goodwill auctions often go for above market value. If you're looking for actual good deals, auctions on Ebay sometimes go for significantly cheaper than market, you just have to be patient and...
  22. Thread: Tailpiece

by milli857
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tailpiece

Sure, maybe I worded that poorly. I wouldn't personally put a $200 tailpiece on my $500 mandolin. Other people can do what they want.
  23. Thread: Tailpiece

by milli857
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tailpiece

I'm sure James tailpieces are very nice but I'm not sure it'd be worth putting a $200 tailpiece on a $500 mandolin.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: String gauge for KM500

You could use pretty much any strings on it, gauges are mostly a matter of personal preference. I'd experiment with a few if I was you.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Know of any musician retreat centers?

Grab 3 picker friends, hop in a car together, and rent a cabin in the mountains for a week!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4