Search:

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

To 'keep it going' we have to look at why 'playing slow and quiet' works and fast and loud does not.

One has the time and attention to handle technical problems at the slow speed. So that leads...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

I think when people say, 'to play fast one should practice slowly' there is an implied notion of a lot of assumptions, too many to describe in a short manner.

Many of these assumptions are now...
  3. Thread: Tam Lin

by DougC
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tam Lin

The tune is also called the Howling Wind. About twenty years ago, we were at a sessiun at Kieran's Pub in Minneapolis. There was a tornado that night and as the sky turned black, and we should have...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

Continuing the open ended 'kind of random' theme:

Often capo's are used (in Trad Irish at least) to get a certain voicing. Sometimes accompaniment is done with two guitars, one with a capo, the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

I wonder if there are banjo players doing something like this.

https://youtu.be/Qc63_gd2r-M?feature=shared
  6. Re: Violinists: What are the mellow/smooth violin strings? (Nmc)

There are a couple of factors that affect tone that have little to do with strings. My wife has taught violin for nearly 40 years, and I'm a violin luthier, if you need some credibility, ha, ha....
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Non-mando question - singing

A joke inserted here:

When do you know that your singer has arrived?

When he's still at the door. Can't find the key. And doesn't know when to come in.
  8. Thread: Ear Train

by DougC
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ear Train

To "clarify the issue" as A 4 asks, I'll try to answer. No silence here my friend...

I don't know why anyone would say that singing is easy. It is not. And it's not related to speaking very much....
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Christmastime is Here - NMD

Interesting mandolin. And this maker is right here in Minnesota. Cool. We will have to hear a sound sample, as the choice of woods seem unusual. I noticed that it has an ebony nut as well as a 'three...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Robin Williamson mandolin

This is the same Robin Williamson who wrote "the Penny Whistle Book" back in 1977?
    That book was a huge influence on my interest in Irish Music.
  11. Thread: T-I's on GBOM

by DougC
    Replies
    Views

Re: T-I's on GBOM

This is Martin from emando website, not Martin Guitar Company. He is a great guy and knows his strings. BTW the flatwound strings are about half the price of T-I's and almost as good. If they sound...
  12. Thread: Upgrade Fever

by DougC
    Replies
    Views

Re: Upgrade Fever

F models tend to be a bit more 'punchy' and they often project more. That helps to be heard in group performances. It is possible to have these characteristics in an A model, mostly because of the...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Building a Mandolin vs. Violin - Differences?

The similar aspect among the two, to me at least, is in knowing how the instrument works. How the thickness, strength and abilities of wood to vibrate in a certain way make the thing work. Since...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Jigs on a Greek bouzouki - Kevin Macleod 2015

The name Bill Hart has been familiar here - waaay over here in Minnesota. (Kevin too BTW :)
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning classical mandolin technique

Sometimes I wonder just what people mean by 'classical mandolin technique". Is it how you do tremlo, and duo picking? The type of pick used? What about musicianship? What about theory? What about...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning classical mandolin technique

This depends on your 'self knowledge' or in other words, your awareness of 'how you learn'. Do you start 'from paper' or do you 'play by ear'? How do you organize your way of learning a new tune?...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Flatwounds HOW OFTEN DO YOU CHANGE THEM?

There are two issues that help decided to change strings. Both are subtle and have to be carefully examined. The decision is always difficult, however I try to remember that I'm a 'cheap - skate' and...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Concert Violaine - Wow!!

Yes indeed. Furthermore if there is 'transverse bracing' at the 'f' hole area, then the whole point of having an area to rock in between (violin makers call this the island), is pointless. There can...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Klezmer or traditional Jewish moon song?

Chava and the Klezmatics do such a nice version of that song.

Another idea would be a yiddish song called Shayne vi der Lavone (Beautiful is the Moon), a tune made famous by the Barry Sisters in...
  20. Re: Free irish Session Tunebook Out For Community Comment!

Joshua M Franklin
    It's remarkable that our books were compiled almost 20 years apart. The tunes and needs of the players, are still the same.

We had few people in our group that used TAB but...
  21. Re: Free irish Session Tunebook Out For Community Comment!

There has been a ton of material put online and for me, I only use a few resources and use books after I've found audible versions.

Personally, I go to the the Session.org and find a tune that...
  22. Thread: Klezmer

by DougC
    Replies
    Views

Re: Klezmer

Here's another tune we played for a workshop a number of years ago. Doug C a.k.a. Dugi Eisner with my wife Gitl Eisner. Mandolin and fiddle.

https://youtu.be/28rmswTZIqg?t=3
  23. Thread: Klezmer

by DougC
    Replies
    Views

Re: Klezmer

I play klezmer mandolin. Here's a clip from our CD.

https://eisnersklezmorim.com/track/623524/russian-sher
  24. Re: “Lesson on untied half notes and quarter notes” by E-L. Patie

It depends on the type of music you are playing. In klezmer music for example tremlo only works in some places where one would do a trill. Also the long notes can show the beautiful sound of the...
  25. Re: A long-stored, unplayed mandolin--what to expect?

The 'old fashioned way' is, without doubt, the way you will go.

It is fun to talk but it is more satisfying to play the instrument.
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4