Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mix/NewMAD A4 at Guitar Center

OK, much delayed follow-up here:

First off, I returned the Mix to my (sort of) local GC today. It had multiple issues that I just was not inclined to deal with. I’ll elaborate so anyone else...
  2. Replies
    Views

Just arrived yesterday so I can only comment on a few things so far.

1. $3000. Mandolin shipped in a too large $50. mandolin case. Guess I shouldn’t be surprised because, you know, GC, but I...
  3. Replies
    Views

On it’s way to the Boston area now. I assume it’s got one or more issues since it keeps getting returned, but I’ll check it out once it arrives and report back. At least this way Cafe members will...
  4. Re: Best Mandolin for Traveling From Sea Level to High Desert?

Yeah, I’ve seen this one at GC online twice before and considered buying it, but couldn’t pull the trigger. It’s been returned at least twice now, which leads me to believe the mando has one or more...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Red Carpet Waltz ( Pava A4 vs Collings MT2 )

Very nice, thanks for that.

I have an MT and have been thinking of adding either an MTO or Pava A4, so it’s helpful to hear the Pava and MT2 back to back. The Pava is definitely more to my liking...
  6. Re: "Hey James: How do I get the superglue off my Duff mandolin?"

James,

I used to be a fine woodwind maker and we used CA to glue cracks and do other repairs on a variety of wood instruments with different finishes - both new and antique. We used Golden West...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomastick Light Strings

I have TI lights on a flat top Northfield Calhoun and they work fine. Not as much volume as regular light gauge strings, but I don’t need max volume for playing at home. I don’t think I’ll keep...
  8. Thread: Calhoun case?

by Mojo
    Replies
    Views

Re: Calhoun case?

OK, a little follow-up FWIW:

One can make a Travelite work, but the fit is right up against the bottom two tuners at the bottom of the headstock, so you’re likely to have to return every time you...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing with arthritis

Has it been determined (by way of high resolution imagining) that you actually have significant degradation of the joint surfaces of the bones in your hands? Any blood tests been done to look for...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Arch/carved top mandola under 1000$?

Looking closely at the photos you can see the workmanship is……shall we say, not at a high level. The OP would likely be better off with an Eastman.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: so i may have purchased a Gibson F5G

NOS Loar. The folks at Gibson didn’t want that old thing hanging around the factory gathering dust any longer either.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Boston Area Refrets and repairs?

Checked with TME and Girouard was their only recommendation, though he’s an hour and a half away, maybe more.

With all the mando players in this area I’m little surprised at the lack of...
  13. Replies
    Views

Boston Area Refrets and repairs?

Can anyone recommend ( based on experience ) someone within about an hour drive of the Boston area for refretting work on mandos?

I wrote to Tippin Guitars as well as Ben Pearce a couple of days...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: New player with new instrument headache!

Back in the late 70’s, as a teen, I went on a month long NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) course out in middle of the Uinta-Wasatch wilderness. We weren’t allowed to bring anything...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomastiks on a Northfield Calhoun?

Interesting observations about how little noticeable difference there is between PBs and TI’s from the listener’s perspective in a band setting. I’ve had no experience with TI’s till now, either as a...
  16. Thread: Calhoun case?

by Mojo
    Replies
    Views

Re: Calhoun case?

Quick Update:

Peter B. from Northfield got back to me today. He was kind enough to call around to some of their dealers that he knew typically have a lot of different cases on hand. Unfortunately...
  17. Replies
    Views

Thanks Chuck, I’ll keep that in mind if the TI’s don’t work out. Just put them on the Mando last night, so at $50 for the set, I’m kinda committed for the moment. :whistling:
  18. Replies
    Views

Thanks Tim, that’s very interesting and I appreciate you sharing that experience. As it turns out I ordered the Thomastiks just prior to seeing your post, so I guess I’m going to find out the hard...
  19. Replies
    Views

Yeah, figured the truss rod would need adjusting, particularly if I go with the lights. Nice to hear the intonation may not suffer.

Good idea regarding a violin scale Mando, wasn’t even aware...
  20. Replies
    Views

Cool, thanks for that. Looking deeper into the string tensions I see the Starks are essentially the same tension as most PB Light sets, so it’s hard to imagine many folks wanting or needing to go all...