Search:

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

W. Eugene Smith: The Jazz Loft

I went to a talk W. Eugene Smith gave in Louisville KY on his documentary photo work of the effects of industrial pollution in Japan just before he died. I had no idea of his connection to the jazz...
  2. Re: Anybody Got a Copy of Ranieri Method Vol 1 and 2?

Jairo, mi amigo, I think I made a mistake. :(
    How many people are going to open those PDFs, interesting though that there are, and then say, 'darn it! NOT volume 3 Simon!' ?

I feel so bad now...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

Blakes March - what a fun tune, I am hopelessly obsessed

thanks to Flinner and Walsh for bringing that back around
  4. Re: Learning a Ronnie McCoury solo everyday for the month of Janu

Ronnie McCoury Month | Day 15: Dig A Little Deeper (In The Well)

My kitty (Ella) loves hearing the mandolin. I guess she’s a fan of Ronnie too. Free sheet music/tab can be found here:...
  5. Re: Should I visit Eastman factory and buy a mando in China?

Eastman typically protects its international dealer network. Best course would be to arrange communication through your local Eastman Dealer or their regional sales representative. Unlikely you could...
  6. NMC Muireann Bradley Irish blues prodigy

We have witnessed young mandolin players rising thru the ranks and blowing us away with their talent. I just stumbled upon Muireann Bradley and her fantastic playing of fingerstyle ragtime and blues...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Is anyone else scared of Bill Monroe?

I met Bill Monroe in March of 1993, at the KY Opry in Draffenville, KY. He played a great show, even with an injury to his right hand from slipping on ice on his Cabin porch. My Dad took our picture...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Is anyone else scared of Bill Monroe?

I saw Earl the last time he played at Merelefest. We were at a steak house right out side of the campus and Scruggs was there eating. Every few minutes someone would stop to talk to him and I don’t...
  9. Re: Learning a Ronnie McCoury solo everyday for the month of Janu

Ronnie McCoury Month | Day 9: Delma Blue

Ronnie's tremolo and double stop feel gives me the chills. Love this solo! As always, the sheet music/tab can be found for free here:...
  10. Learning a Ronnie McCoury solo everyday for the month of January

Trying a fun little exercise of learning a Ronnie McCoury solo a day. Maybe I underestimated how difficult this would be but let's find out :))

I usually post majority of my videos on social media...
  11. Thread: Love for Ovals

by rcc56
    Replies
    Views

Re: Love for Ovals

And the instruments you hear on the above video are a 1917 [but back then we thought it was a 1918] Gibson H-2 mandola, re-braced 40 years ago with tone bars; and a 1933 Gibson L-C "Century of...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Barry Harris method for learning bebop

Specific surround lines from Barry and other players. See how players apply the items looked at in video 63.

https://youtu.be/VdyFPm_Cxic
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando (and why to quit callin it that...)g

Can you say “PEDANTIC”?
  14. Re: Nice solo arrangement Sunny Side of the Street

Well ... yeah! And thanks for both. ;)

If people still made 45 rpm singles, they'd make a great A-side and B-side pair - Sunny Side / Shady Side. :cool:

I hope Jesse Appelman is inspired to do...
  15. Re: Nice solo arrangement Sunny Side of the Street

Thanks, all, for the kind words about my video. I'll try to keep 'em coming!
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando and Fiddle duo's

Thanks lowtone - those videos were exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. I love the sound of mando and fiddle paired. I'm surprised you can't find more of that kind of stuff on YouTube
  17. Re: Nice solo arrangement Sunny Side of the Street

This is fine. I love the solo jam aspect of it. Did you know, that according to an interview in a mid 60' Downbeat magazine, this song was Howlin' Wolf Chester Burnett's favorite song?
  18. Re: Nice solo arrangement Sunny Side of the Street

I don't think this is the OP playing here, but a version he found on the web. I could be wrong, of course (oh yes, quite possible, as always), but the title implies that. In any event, it is indeed a...
  19. Replies
    Views

Thanks, "lowtone 2". A video is worth a thousand words!
  20. Replies
    Views

Musical elitists? I never heard that. I am both a fiddler and mandolinist and recently hurt my shoulder so have put the fiddle aside for awhile and have been playing lots of old time and Québécois...
  21. Replies
    Views

Soapsuds Over the Fence from the playing of James Bryan.

https://youtu.be/UYTOGLX6ZUo
  22. Re: Is "Mr Sun Plays Duke Ellington's Nutcracker Suite" bluegrass

From the POV of a being jazz players - and as one that does not consider themselves a Bluegrass "picker" - I'd call it string band jazz. Sure, they look more like a banjoless Bluegrass band, and...
  23. Re: Is "Mr Sun Plays Duke Ellington's Nutcracker Suite" bluegrass

It's an acoustic jazz record and it's great - received my vinyl copy Monday. I don't understand the confusion about the genre - it's an acoustic take on Duke Ellington's version of the Nutcracker -...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Using a capo with a mandolin?

If it sounds good, it is good!
  25. Replies
    Views

Thanks, love the melodic phrasing on Waynesboro.
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4