Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

New Mahogany Flatback Mandolin

The latest mandolin off my 'Barn Cat Mandolins' bench is something a little different for me. I've given it a slightly wider, rounder body shape than my usual Moggy model mandolin, and its ribs and...
  2. Replies
    Views

Slowplayers.Org. Is Back on Line

Glad to have it back
    https://slowplayers.org/1295-2/
  3. Replies
    Views

Simply Bluegrass - Full Episode 1

didn't see this posted yet, good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHBmiOJ_pPs
  4. Musicians' Pandemic Stories - share yours!

All -
    Stories can convey truths that are difficult to express in other ways. By this time, I imagine there are many stories that we could share about music making during and after COVID - please...
  5. The Nashville Bluegrass Band and Roland White

I'm reading Bob Black's book on Roland White and have been listening to music he played on. In a world of playing all the possible notes you can fit into a space, Roland played just what the song...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: The Honeymoon is OVER!!!

I read the magnet tip here a while back and it’s been working for me. I just have a small hobby magnet, not rare earth it it works just fine
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: The Honeymoon is OVER!!!

I don't have a cover on this NF tailpiece, but I keep a spot of blue/fun-tack kind of stuff handy (some more in the pick-filled Altoids tin). I'm assuming you can at least see the hooks/posts/fingers...
  8. Replies
    Views

Soldier's Joy - Tune Breakdown

Hey all -

I figured I'd share my recent breakdown for Soldier's Joy. This is my Tune of the Week for the bluegrass jam I run and one that I should have learned a long time ago haha. I've...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Which kind of Mandolin you play ?

F style, A oval hole, classical style flat top and all mahogany flat top. The first and last one get the most playing time at present. Mainly Nordic, French Canadian, some French bal-folk, occasional...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass Jam…just kidding.

Journeybear, the Cuban style is amazing, had a taste of it a few years back. You are astute in your observation that South Carolina is somewhat of a BBQ crossroads with three distinct BBQ regions. I...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Affordable American Made Mandolins

There are many older, American made, Breedlove mandolins out there for less than $1500. Not traditional styled, but usually nice sounding and easy to play.
  12. Re: The Change That I See in Bluegrass Over The Past 20 Years.

Sally Ann Forrester who shows up in our This Day in History three times.

Accordion solo comes in around 1:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UueuaHV0T18
    Credits say:
    Mandolin: Bill...
  13. Re: Best bluegrass rhythm guitar instructional book?

The stuff Dan Miller put together at Flatpicking Magazine is top notch.

https://flatpickdigital.com/view_book.php?eid=94
  14. Re: Why are some songs not written in the key they are in?

I can’t ready notation (well), so take the following with a grain of salt.

As someone who has contemplated learning notation, if all music was written this way (without need to modulate how one...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: What is that little instrument?

Last summer we made a whirlwind trip to see family in Colorado, Texas and Nevada. I brought a mandolin along for 8 different airline legs and 5 different hotel - motel stays. I had 3 "What is that? ...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: DO I need a better mandolin?

Or maybe another one ...
    They're all individuals, after all :mandosmiley:
  17. Mandolin Sheet music and breakdown: Old Joe Clark

Hey all,

I've received a few requests to cover Old Joe Clark. This is a great tune for beginners to get down and has a lot of potential options for more advanced players. This should be part 1...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Reputable luthier?

Can you post some pictures?
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Frank Wakefield

Unique in his humor and idiosyncrasies, but very rooted in traditional bluegrass. Some have called Wakefield the "wild man of bluegrass," but a lot of his stuff is just very competent Monroe-based...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe Question

If I remember some of the discussion around the time WTCBU came out, Jimmy Martin expressed praise for the Dirt Band, and John McEuen in particular -- in his particular left-handed way, contrasting...