Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Gilchrist Restoring the First Loar

Some great pics of the restoration in the new Fretboard Journal, including an amazing shot of the exposed offset dovetail...
    Check this out...you can see how the whole neck was moved over about 3-4...
  2. Replies
    Views

Tribute to the Pogues

Happy St. Paddy's everyone!

An international tribute album to the godfathers of celtic punk, The Pogues, was just published on Bandcamp an hour or so ago, so I thought I'd share it here! Quite a...
  3. Replies
    Views

Site-wde navigation has changed

I tweaked the site-wide navigation today and wanted to summarize some changes, noting as my better half likes to say, "no one likes change but a wet baby." Sorry for the discomfort this may cause...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: A short film - Birth of a Luthier

In my browsing I've noticed the Sheppard and Ratliff series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6pA28dbu_Y&list=PL3BFFDED05EEACF4C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP1zKwHQLEY
  5. Thread: Pava F5!

by Tobin
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pava F5!

I do find them to be quite similar in tone and playability, at least when compared to other brands/models. When they were new and I was still playing them in, I found very little difference. Very...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: A style suspension answer

When i first got my Ellis "A"s tyle,i used a piece of leather bootlace & made a loop at one end for the endpin,made a loop at the other end & passed one loop through the other under the f/board...
  7. Replies
    Views

A style suspension answer

Thought I'd share this. I like many others find it hard to permanently alter a nice mandolin with a strap button. I've been trying different methods of tying around the body and head stock and...
  8. Re: Article: Peghead Nation Launches Mike Compton's Monroe-Style

I can confirm - just signed up for Joe Walsh with the "Thank15" promo code, and they didn't charge my card.

Gonna see if it works the same for the second time - wanna check out one of the fiddle...
  9. Replies
    Views

Bluegrass Beginners Tips

The current issue of Premier Guitar has a short article with tips for beginners interested in bluegrass. His instrument is guitar, but these apply equally well to the mandolin . . .
  10. Re: 'Craft in America' - Martin, Stelling, et al

Full episode online here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3IIgrYv24s
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: PayPal fees...

Been selling online, practically exclusively with PayPal gateway, for over ten years. Not Ebay, a shopping cart gateway. To my knowledge, it contradicts the PayPal TOS to increase the cost of an item...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Where are we all going with recorded music?

Let me add something about CD sales trends. We currently have a warehouse the size of half a football field that is packed floor to ceiling with CDs that we distribute. It is a huge inventory...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Where are we all going with recorded music?

I work for an extremely successful music distribution company that includes hundreds of record labels with music in multiple genres. Our company management keeps us in the loop about industry trends...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue Chip. lose it and see how it affects you

You're right. Typo --I meant 1.20mm.

No explanation. My pick hand stays pretty relaxed. There's no slippiness with the BC --that's one of the benefits of it, and it's been very easy to play...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue Chip. lose it and see how it affects you

I'm a recent BC convert, and fortunately I haven't lost one yet. While I can say the BC is my main pick, I purposely also continue to use some of my old favorites. I was recently playing out with...
  16. Re: Is there such a thing as a traveller mandolin?

Here's just the opposite: a violin body with a mandolin neck

17. Replies
    Views

Re: When to Change Strings

I have seen that method but, I loop first. I use abut four finger widths of slack, just the regular old fashioned way I learned forever ago.
    I will be happy to post the vid when I get to it! When...
  18. Re: The modern mando that sounds most like a Loar is...

I've been fortunate to have had the opportunity to see and play some of the finest mandolins by the finest builders over the last century. I've also played many, many real Loars and a bunch of fakes...
  19. Re: Is there such a thing as a traveller mandolin?

I have one of those ultralight guitars, tweaked into a tenor guitar. But then, I practise for an OM, not a mandolin.
    Since mandolins are basically small enough for a suitcase (well padded in the...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Gilchrist Restoring the First Loar

Here's a couple photos of #1 Loar's arrival at Carter's..140926140927140928
    and 1 photo from Monroecamp/2015
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: The Mandolinist - Happiest on a Stage?

Looking over the photos from our latest gig, I remembered this thread. There's definitely something to this theory - just look at my "violin face" vs. "mandolin face" :))

140890 140891
  22. Replies
    Views

MAS Remission - Culled the Herd

It isn't quite the end of the year yet, but I already find myself thinking about my mandolin journey over the past year. I've been practicing/playing/experimenting for several years now, but 2015...
  23. Re: Nervous about selling from Mandolin Cafe Classified

I'm going to post the answer I provided you for the benefit of others.

Known seller with history on the Classifieds, no complaints. Anyone with a complaint has already been removed from...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: New Gig: Restaurant Mandolinist

Set List:

1 O Happy Day Instr. G
    2 That's Amore Instr. A
    3 Live Oak Park Instr. Am
    4 Godfather Theme Instr. Dm
    5 Limehouse Blues Instr. G
    6 Never My Love Instr. D
    7 Santa Lucia ...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: New Gig: Restaurant Mandolinist

This has been posted before but since we are talking Italy here......

30HsgKTkQ68

Nick, have fun with the gig!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3