Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Another Andrew Marlin song on the Mowry

I need to update my signature as I don’t have those mandolins anymore. The Big Mon didn’t stick around long enough for me to get an honest feel for it but I was immediately impressed with the finish...
  2. Replies
    Views

Another Andrew Marlin song on the Mowry

This one is called “Pellinore’s Ride” and it’s got a lot of energy and drive to it. Marlin’s writing is crafted so well for fiddle accompaniment and I’m finding this Mowry is well suited to handle it...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mowry F5 in action

Yeah that's me. I thought I was going to have to let it go due to some financial/personal reasons but I decided it was too good to not keep so it's going to stay with me. I thought I had pulled that...
  4. Replies
    Views

Mowry F5 in action

I picked up Mowry #122 from a cafe member a couple weeks ago and I’ve really fallen for it. The low end was good as soon as I received it and the trebles have come a long way as well, probably due to...
  5. Thread: Cazadero

by ABrown
    Replies
    Views

Cazadero

4 part songs are an endurance test for me, especially this one. I feel like I’ve been working on it for years and just finally able to get through the whole thing without falling apart. Hope you like...
  6. Replies
    Views

Winter’s Come and Gone

Here’s a tune I’d been meaning to learn for a while and was happy to get some time to work on it yesterday. Strings are old and shot but the Fern still sounds great to me!

7. Thread: Classic Grisman

by ABrown
    Replies
    Views

Re: Classic Grisman

Mark Schatz
  8. Thread: Classic Grisman

by ABrown
    Replies
    Views

Classic Grisman

This is one of my favorite Grisman solos. Every note lands perfectly and his timing is just incredible. I guess that's what makes these guys pros!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOfb9r6OHHA
  9. Thread: Case question

by ABrown
    Replies
    Views

Re: Case question

I bought a Northfield Airloom case for my Fern recently. It is a very nice case but I doubt how well it would hold up to a crushing incident, it also scuffs very easily. I'll probably keep it around...
  10. Replies
    Views

Quick take of Jerusalem Ridge

Grabbed this today while the baby was sleeping upstairs. Recorded straight into my MacBook using quicktime which leaves a lot lacking sound wise. What setup are you guys using to record sound and...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F-5L thoughts

Go for it, they are great instruments and that is one of the nicest backs I've seen on a modern F5L. Don't let anyone here tell you how to spend your money, it sounds like you know exactly what you...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F-5L thoughts

I bought a 2017 F5L sight unseen a few months ago and don’t regret it at all. Morgan Music was awesome to work with and gave me the option of keeping it for a few days to find out if it was a good...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD 2017 Gibson F5L

I've lately felt the need to update this thread to say just how good this mandolin is. After 6 weeks of heavy playing it is turning into a hell of great sounding mandolin. The bass is woody with a...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: How often to change strings

There's a lot of variables- how often you play, the oils of your hands, what strings you're using, what mandolin you're using, what sound you're looking for, etc. Some people like the jangly sound of...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Which mandolin should I buy?

Now you can play a Doyle Lawson tune for us lol
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: How many tunes is too much to start with?

Make a list. Whether it's pen and paper or a note on your phone, a list of the tunes you're working on as well as any other types of playing lessons will help you organize your practice time. As you...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Microphone mute switch

Don't worry about that, I appreciate your input. I'm pretty ignorant to audio equipment and techniques myself, this is probably a dumb question for most of the heavy gigging collective here
  18. Replies
    Views

NMD 2017 Gibson F5L

I received my new (to me) Gibson F5L yesterday from Morgan Music and after a long wait overnight I finally was able to open it up to check it out and do a little picking before work. It was still in...