Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Up Coming Trad Music Festivals Quebec

If you Google Rollo Bay Fiddle Festival, then go to the bottom of their home page, there's a spot to sign up to get news releases about this year's festival in mid-July. It's casual, not crowded,...
  2. Re: British guy here – how should I spend $10,000?

Yes, true. Colin is building his mandolins. I plan to list my Sobell soon, but shipping to UK from Canada is outrageous now.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: TSA mandolin incident

I had the same experience going through security with a vintage tenor banjo about 10 years ago -- the agent wanted to look at it because she thought it looked like a beautiful instrument on the x-ray...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Your advice for playing a concert

Lots of good advice above. We've also found that perhaps one humorous song per set with catchy words that will stick with the audience and a song with a simple chorus that the audience can quickly...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: What do you plan to be doing when You're 104?

Still playing my tenor banjo!
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Sobell Gig Bag or carrying case

I think you would have a difficult time finding a suitable gig bag for the Sobell. I have a Sobell mando (large-body) and I can't imagine any standard-size bag for mandolins working for mine because...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: David Surette has passed.

According to The Green Mandolin liner notes, he used his Stonebridge F-5, but also his 1918 Gibson F-2 on a few tracks. He also used a Trillium cittern on several tracks. Yeah, great album!
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish Mandolin Recordings

Another good Marla Fibish mandolin album is one she did with Jimmy Crowley on bouzouki and mandocello -- The Morning Star.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Purchasing a good beginner mandolin in Canada

Peter Sawchyn (Sawchyn Guitars, Regina, SK) has two used mandos on its site right now -- a Kay (probably not for you!), and a blonde-top Seagull S8 for $400 CDN), but you'd have to add shipping from...
  10. Re: Comments on the Value of Gibson A4 Mandolin with hard case

1918 was a "mixed bag" for the Handel tuners. My 1918 H-2 mandola (#47496) has original Handel tuners, but I've seen many of that year both with and without them, more the latter. I suspect Gibson...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Koady Chaisson, RIP

Nope, never went to the Vanier stomp! I used to go the the monthly Swan on the Rideau sessions religiously for several years until covid messed up everything! Occasionally went to O'Connell's, but...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Koady Chaisson, RIP

Thanks for posting, Bill. Not only was Koady Chaisson a monster tenor banjo player -- one of the best -- but also brilliant on mandolin, guitar, fiddle and piano, and a great composer. Tenor banjo...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Museum

The National Music Museum on the USD campus in Vermillion, SD, has a family of nice 'teens-vintage Gibsons in their collection; not a big collection but there's a wonderful guitar gallery there. All...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: A Style in case for F style

I had a Calton F case that I used for both a modern A style and a 2-point -- both fit perfectly, BUT as Ray(T) mentioned, my old Gib A4 did not fit.
  15. Poll: Re: Vintage Flatiron Performer A (1993, Bozeman) vs Eastman MD305

If it is in excellent condition as indicated, it's probably worth snagging at that price! You're not likely to lose on the investment down the road. I had an '88 Artist A5, and should never have let...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko Passes

A huge loss to the mandolin community, and one of my biggest influences. I still have my autographed vinyl copy of Sluz Duz -- great stuff! I think I'll put on Blue Mesa today.
  17. Re: F model oval holes: Northfieod F2S, Collings MFO, Gibson F2 a

I had a Sawchyn F-4 like the one indicated by Charles E. above but with honey blonde finish-- sold it to a close friend :(. Beautifully made instrument, but not sure of the bracing. I also have a...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Oval Hole Heaven at Greg Boyd’s

I had a Sawchyn O2-C exactly like the one at Greg's, except blonde instead of sunburst -- Peter custom made it for me, but I sold it recently to a close friend locally. Beautiful instrument --...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Mandolin (GDAE) vs Mandola (CGDA)

Peter Sawchyn in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, makes a BeaverTail-style OM and/or zouk (and mandolin and 'dola as well), which is very similar in design to the old Flatirons. I had one with an OM...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Short-neck oval A models?

In Canada, Peter Sawchyn, Regina, SK.
  21. Re: Any builders/aspiring builders/luthiers in Minnesota?

Lloyd LaPlant -- well-known mandolin and guitar maker in Minnesota. He's not in Twin Cities, but north in Grand Rapids.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Marla Fibish's Irish Mandolin Course

Marla will be teaching mandolin again at this year's O'Flahertys Irish Music Retreat in Texas in October.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: My new Beavertail pancake

I had a Beavertail octave mandolin for awhile with similar woods -- very well made and great sound. I don't have it anymore but still have a couple of other Peter Sawchyn instruments -- a carved OM...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: What Techniques Do You Use In A session?

Thanks for sharing the video in this forum, Mike -- I'm sure folks will find it useful. I really enjoyed Mick's class a lot, and have been trying to pass along to my "students" the idea of...
  25. Re: What A style Oval hole mandolins to consider in $2000 range?

GASguy -- there's a pretty nice-looking new Old Wave A-oval hole in the Classified right now for $2650 -- that would certainly be worth checking out!! Lovely quilted maple back.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3