Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: The end of my playing days.

On every forum to do with music, there's always a rare individual, who's comments and posts are invariably helpful, never sarcastic or thoughtless. This role was one which Ivan filled. May he rest...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Another FFcP believer!!!

FFcP is Four Finger closed position, developed by Ted Eschliman, and the book is "Getting Into Jazz Mandolin" by Ted Eschliman. See
    http://jazzmando.com/gijm_20835bcd.shtml
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: This is incredible...

I like it. He's confident, competent, efficient, musical, versatile, a genius. I don't see anything to dislike at all.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Black electric Gibson 2 poiont

"The neck (fretboard forward from the nut) has an area
    where the finish was stripped and re-lacquered clear
    to accommodate a capo"
    I don't know whether this is really what happened the neck, but...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: irish trad mandolin spotting....

Jill, as far as I know, Quentin Cooper makes instruments, and the mandolin he's playing is one of his own. What a great blend those three make, magic!
  6. Replies
    Views

As we're talking about irish trad mandolin spotting, this thread would not be complete without some of this:-

KHbPJEkmZwY
  7. Replies
    Views

The box player is Josephine Marsh, and that's the Josephine Marsh Band, which might explain the box being more to the front in the mix. I can hear Declan just fine (DJF). :)) I think the whole clip...
  8. Replies
    Views

For anybody who doesn't know him, it's Declan Corey, a very fine player.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Headed to Ireland - Bring the mando?

This is an interesting one. My gut reaction is to agree with Eddie and advise you to leave your mandolin at home and have fun.
    Irish traditional sessions are not generally advertised. If they...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile - Miss Manhattan

For me, the music I like most is the simple stuff. The tracks where people are playing well within their technical limits. This piece is just that. I often quote a musician friend of mine who,...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: recent gouzouki action!

Fantastic music, and what a great balanced instrument Nigel!
    hur5jYWD9B4
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Nava: quilted maple and walnut

That is a beautiful piece of work Gary, stunning wood, impeccable workmanship.
  13. Re: Science Shows Why Drum Machines Will Never Replace Live Drumm

Apologies in advance, but every time i hear the words "drum machine", this is what comes to mind!
    jbN-jO11vKg
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Apple Logic Pro X

The thing about recording, and "doctoring" is that when you record anything, you want it to be the best you can do, after all, once it's out there it's out of your control. So, in the case of a pro...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Yes' Chris Squire

Chris, go advanced, click the Youtube icon and insert the bit of the youtube address after the = into the box.
  16. Re: Nylon string single-course mandocello-type thingy

Wow, I'm very impressed, great bottom end, and really well balanced. The nylon strings are really mellow, and nicely bright as well, without the clang of steel. Considering it's made from kitchen...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish Bouzouki vs. Greek Bouzouki

My introduction to Bouzouki was very similar to Colin's. In 1974/5 you had no choice in terms of instrument, and less choice in strings. I tuned mine GDAE, as I was coming from mandolin, and I...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish Bouzouki vs. Greek Bouzouki

I'm not sure where this might fit in to the present discussion, but the photo below is of me playing a bouzouki in 1975, 4 courses,Italian made instrument "Eko". Not a pioneering design, but just an...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Celtic mandolin players?

I could not agree more with Dagger and previous posters that Andy Irvine holds a special place on the list. Paul Brady is also a fine Mandolin player. Declan Corey deserves a mention, as does Brian...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Jig picking pattern DUD DUD vs. DUD UDU

Here's some debate on the subject, and there's loads more!!!!!
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?93918-celtic-jig-picking-patterns&highlight=irish+pick+pattern...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Jig picking pattern DUD DUD vs. DUD UDU

It's one of those things which is purely a matter of opinion Astabeth. Some professional player/teachers are proponents of DUD DUD, and some go for DUD UDU, I would say the more modern trend is DUD...
  22. Re: Octave Mandolin, Guitar and Build Journal Completed

Mike, congratulations on a pair of very fine instruments. As a dabbler in many activities, I have often dreamed of doing something like this. However so far I've succeeded in making an Appalachian...