Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Balcarres lute manuscript

This is another piece from the Balcarres manuscript. As before, all credit to Rob MacKillop, as it is essentially his guitar arrangement that I play as a mandolin duet.

MCUkVXpCPhs
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Balcarres lute manuscript

All the best manuscripts have already been transcribed https://www.village-music-project.org.uk/. :))
  3. Replies
    Views

Balcarres lute manuscript

With reference to a conversation with Jim Imhoff a while ago about how to classify music, I'm really unsure if this is Baroque or traditional, so I am taking the liberty of posting to both boards.
  4. Solo mandola: Le Petit Chien (schottische) by Andy Cutting

I recorded a version of this tune several months ago with overdubbed guitar and bass. I've received some requests since then for a solo version of the tune featuring just mandola. Long story short, I...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: How I Spent My Summer Vacation... (Bach)

Inbal Segev has some great you tube videos about various Bach solo pieces, she talks about implied harmony, and musical punctuation (where one phrase or melodic idea stops and another starts). While...
  6. Là ci darem la mano (Paganini after Mozart)

Paganini was as good a guitarist as he was violinist and wrote a number of works for the instrument. Among them was a series of 43 ghiribizzi or "fancies." These are short pieces of varying...
  7. Replies
    Views

Giuseppe Pettine's (1874-1966) gravesite

Yesterday afternoon my wife, Lee, and I drove to nearby Providence RI to visit the gravesite of the great Golden Age mandolinist, Giuseppe Pettine (1874-1966). The grave, shown below, is located in...
  8. Mostly New England fiddle tunes in alto clef for mandola and OC?

Hi - I've posted about this collection before, but it's been quite a while.
    I play mandola and viola and lived in New England for a long time. I've since moved to Seattle, WA, but I still love the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: What is the story behind the "scroll"

At the time Orville Gibson was developing his innovative mandolin designs, Art Nouveau (aka Jugendstil, Stile Liberty, Modernisme, Modern Style) was still prominent and considered very modern....
  10. Replies
    Views

Mandolin session in Edinburgh's Waverley Bar

The session in the Waverley Bar, Edinburgh, hosted by top Scots singer George Duff, is usually quite busy. However, last weekend there was just myself, the wonderful fiddler John Martin and top...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this really a Gibson?

indeed a question for the ages:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

"Nazanin Yari Man" (Traditional song from Tajikistan):
    b2v8XVC4BuE

"Cidlaan Dareemaya" (Somali song):
    O7BZ447wyA4

"Ax dê û bavê me" (Kurdish song):
    7rHhO47XJi0

"Zarbi Segah" ضربی سه گاه...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Strange F4....

If you've never read this Onion article about the invention of the Hyperbolic Chamber, I would encourage you to do so.
    I often think of it when I read floral descriptions like the FrankenGibson. ...
  14. Luigi Paparello, "Bells of Night" for Unaccompanied Mandocello

In his 1913 method for mandocello, Zarh Myron Bickford briefly discussed unaccompanied performance on the instrument which, he noted "at the present time, is to a great extent an unexplored field."...
  15. Replies
    Views

Bach Invention No. 11, BMV 782

Our son was visiting a bit over the Christmas holiday and before he left this morning, I was able to put a mandolin into his hands for a little bit and we recorded this at home yesterday. This...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Best prices Gibson F5

The best bang for the buck I know of in F-5's these days is not on Gibsons.
    We have a cornucopia of choices these days.

For example, Paul Newson's mandolins are very good. Not cheap at $8500...
  17. Jobim, "Stone Flower": The New American Mandolin Ensemble

This is my arrangement of Antonio Carlos Jobim's "Stone Flower," performed here by the New American Mandolin Ensemble (NAME) in its original configuration (from left to right, Mark Davis, mandolin...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: What artist/album got you started with Trad?

I was on tour with a Cirque du Soleil show, hitting open mic/blues jams (with the electric mando in my avatar). We were in Spain, and I couldn't find anywhere to jam. Turns out that the little...
  19. Invention in C Major BWV 772 Nugget F5 and Northfield Octave

Just got done listening to Caterina Lichtenberg and Mike Marshall's CD of Bach inventions and felt inspired to play one. You can even watch it in 4k!

eLmdWVKvMAc

Enjoy and keep on picking!
  20. Replies
    Views

Not your typical mandolin video

From French mandolinist Annick Robergeau-Bonnet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Amx-QQAlw&feature=youtu.be
  21. Replies
    Views

Astor Piazzola on Mandolin

A year ago, the orchestra I play with in Athens Greece (MandolinARTE) performed its last concert before the pandemic (ahhhh good times).

Anyway, we played a beautiful piece of music from the...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Women with Mandolins

Here’s the video from a Patrick’s post. I thought she would be playing mandolin but she does a nice job on violin on that Bach.

https://youtu.be/C18dhD3EmI4
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Alison Stephens: Con Espressione availability

I'm still having some conversations with diverse industry players on this. I'll share word as there's more, but for now, note this new word (and emboldened paragraphs) from Astute Music:
  24. Replies
    Views

Ignatius Sancho Minuets

I found out about Ignatius Sancho recently after watching the BBC documentary "Black Classical Music: The Forgotten History" and discovered that he had composed music for violin, mandolin, German...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Dylan on bluegrass in the New York Times

Bob Dylan heard plenty of Bluegrass back in the day. At the 1963 Newport Festival also on the bill were Jim & Jesse, Bill Monroe, & Doc Watson. Here's a clip of Bob D playing with Earl Scruggs....
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4