Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Anyone tried this mandolin-friendly guitar tuning?

Another option for a zouk or OM-alike tuning on guitar is one that John Doyle used for a while. Goes like this:

Tune your guitar BEBF#BF# with appropriately heavy strings like a .072 and .056 on...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Clifford Essex status?

Unfortunately, Clem Vickery passed away in February. I don't know if his family intend to continue the business.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: To be or not to be (a bluegrass player)

My experience with parties and bass playing: typically when I showed up with DB is when the party started. Sounds boastful, but it's just the way it is for a bassist.

Love bass playing. But now...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Nylon low strings on Cittern

I have done this on a 12 string and a custom made extended range tenor guitar.

For the 12 string, I use Hannabach nylon classical bass strings .062 and .045 for low A1 and D2 pitches and they...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I trade up?

Let me start by saying I'm in a particular individual situation: I play professionally, at the minor-league, local level, and what money I make (a few thousand $$ per year), I use to underwrite...
  6. Re: Everything you wanted to know about the Irish bouzouki...

Allen, I reckon you might as well stop swimming and go with the flow.

Judging by the players I talk to in Scotland, the battle is lost.
    They call it:
    bouzouki
    mandola
    octave mandola
    cittern...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Astroturf Noise

With Billy Martin -

https://youtu.be/X9qkFLq-UVQ
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: JJB pickup choice for cittern

I've used the PPS 200 in the majority of my over 2 dozen JJB pickup installs. I've put them in fiddles, mandolins, octave mandolins, mandola, resonator mandos, banjolin, guitars, mandocello and an...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: McDonald Project bracing puzzle

It doesn't really matter exactly where the transverse brace goes. It can be in front of, underneath or behind the bridge and makes little or no audible difference. Most of the structural strength...