Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Microphones for home recording

I think the attributes of SM57 as a durable, inexpensive dynamic microphone as a sound reinforcement microphone for live gigs are well established. What you're looking for to record solo mandolin at...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Reharmonization with bitonality

Pretty neat stuff!

Bill Frisell (with Ron Carter) does a great reharmonized version of You Are My Sunshine.
  3. Re: There has got to be something better than Tabledit, right?

To paraphrase Ben Franklin or Winston Churchill or somebody..

Tabledit is the worst tablature software, except for all the others.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: String shortage!?

I hope this isn't out of order but I have three sets of Elixir Nanoweb .011-.040 mandolin strings that are still in their original boxes but must be at least 10 or 11 years old. If anyone wants them...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Left Hand on Neck: Palm or Thumb

Thanks John.

I watched that video of myself (above) and played along with it a few times. After an hour or so I managed to get comfortable with holding my left hand like I used to do and it freed...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Starting to see the difference

Every guitar player or teacher I've ever had an in-depth conversation with, it's been obvious that their brain is perceiving the instrument in terms of chords first. Melodies happen within that...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Always use a strap? Even when seated?

I not only always use a strap when playing, mine always stays on my mandolin even when it's in the case. Guess it might as well be considered part of the instrument, for my purposes.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Wegen vs. Primetone vs. Clown Barf

To me the Wegan is a bit harsher, less refined sounding. The Primetone is cleaner, more open. Clown Barf is somewhere in between. Not as harsh as the Wegen but not quite as full sounding as the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Reasons to avoid practicing

I am hard-wired for oppositional behavior whenever faced with the word "practice". Like when I was 8 years old and my mother (bless her) would tell me, "I'd better hear you practicing that piano for...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Flatwounds on an Eastman MD315

When I got my mandolin (not an Eastman MD315) I tried Elixir Nanos and Thomastik Infeld "Starks" and if I never tried the flatwounds I'd have been happy enough playing the Elixirs. They sounded fine...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone NOT like Blue Chip picks?

A person who builds really expensive (and nice, I must say!) musical instruments could be said to "live in a glass house" when it comes to throwing stones. One can most certainly make awesome music...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomastik strings

Kip,

With due respect to folks who love the FT74, trying a set of those won't tell you jack about Thomastik flatwounds. They're just phophor-bronze roundwound strings that have been ground down a...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Chinese Mandolins

I'll bet you can find a better $200 mandolin made in China than you could $200 made entirely in USA.

I'll bet you can find a better $20,000 mandolin made entirely in USA you could a $20,000...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: How to contact Skip Kelley?

Was it the one just listed in the Classifieds?

A year or so ago when I was mando shopping I'd have jumped on that one in a minute flat, great deal.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Best recording techniques ?

I'd like to chime in and say that after much experimenting (and many of my questions discussed by Ben and Bruce here) I've ended up with a more or less permanent configuration. Turns out what works...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Why Are Mandolin Tabs So Hard To Find?

Short answer, because there aren't thousands of 12-year-old boys typing mandolin tabs into some web site somewhere like there are with pop-music guitar tabs. Maybe dozens, not thousands.
  17. Re: Why are some mandolins so expensive...I mean really

My feelings exactly. Look, I apologize to the group for being so bloody-minded and argumentative here. But the only real point I have to make is that most of us think pretty much as John describes....
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Snark Tuner

There were fairly extensive comments on the Snark in a couple of threads a month or two ago. Very popular. My friend Lou has one and it works much better than the (IMO) junky clip-ons that have been...
  19. Replies
    Views

How Many Frets Do You Want? Need? Have?

How about sort of a poll about fretboard extensions, or not.

First question. Let's say someone was "fixin' to" build a mandolin for you and asked "How many frets do you want?". You could have any...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: #029 Kelley A model

Skip,

You may have commented previously on this but I'm new to the Cafe. What are the qualities you look for in a redwood soundboard as opposed to spruce?

I happened to encounter a redwood and...