Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Three Beginner Questions

1 - There is no difference between A and F mandolins in terms of how they sound, the differences are purely visual.
    Because A shape mandolins are more straight forward to build, you get "much more...
  2. Thread: I Found It!

by noah finn
    Replies
    Views

Re: I Found It!

Blue chips naturally crave the safety of a pick case. If they are left in an open light filled space for a long period they will gravitate towards an environment close to that of the inside of a pick...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Luthier Paul Hostetter has passed away

So sad to hear this news. Like many on this forum I benefited from Pauls generosity with his great knowledge. He was so kind sharing information. May he rest in peace, Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Sean Brackens Jig Anyone have Tabs ?

Music is given in two formats on the session - standard notation and abc.

If you take the "abc" version and copy and paste it into mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php
    Select mandolin it will give...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Buying a Mandolin

Hi, I used to own a The Loar LM700. I have played several Halery Benton instruments. Imho, They are worlds apart.

Harley benton are house brand of of Thomann, I think. I have found all the Harley...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin shops in Dublin?

Sadly there is not a great selection of mandolin available in Dublin. You'll find the usual array a mass produced and branded mandolins such as Mcbrides, Barnes and Mullins, Fender etc.
    Waltons in...
  7. Re: Slightly Lose Strap Pin -- A Bit of Glue Okay?

Wrap a piece of plumbers PTFE thread seal tape around the end pin. Push into place.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Show Off Your Silverangels

We're snowed in here in Ireland, so I've some time on my hands and I put together a video or two of my Silverangel should anyone find it helpful.

(Best just use the computer speakers however,...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: hot rod rogue.

cafe member Rob Meldrum did up an excellent step by step document on setting a rogue mandolin. If you PM him he'll send it on.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Picks Slippingand rotating while playing

Loose grip is the key. On the occassion that I feel the pick starting to move I loosen my grip and it rectifys the problem.

Seems counter intuitive but its true.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Comparing brands?

I play a Silverangel A5 economando.

Its a wonderful instrument. Mine has an elevated fretboard,varnish finish, bound front and back, orricco tailpiece,radius board,speed neck etc. In fact I...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for a mandolin around 500$

Congrats sportsnapper. They are a very nice instrument. Enjoy in good health.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Dating Gibson Mandolin - Help please!

I dated a Gibson once...never again......talk about high maintenance....
  14. Re: A jig played on my new Herb Taylor tenor guitar!

Congrats on the beautiful instrument! Enjoy in good health and well wear!
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Help with first mandolin purchase?

as always Al gives great advice.

For whats its worth I have to say I too prefer The Eastman range over the Kentucky range in the price bracket your looking at. I think Kentucky really pulls away...
  16. Re: Lefty in a predominantly Right-handed World - Help appreciate

Im another lefty that plays mandolin, guitar and banjo right handed.

Playing right handed allowed me access to wider range of instruments.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Celtic Mandolin?

Nigels session king tenor guitars are outstanding instruments. Quality through and through.
  18. Re: "The Loar 700" Re-invent/Rescue and Martin R18 Rescue

Beautiful work Perry. Ive greatly enjoyed following your refinishing threads.

Best wishes for your retirement!
  19. Re: The Loar LM 700 vs Kentucky KM 1500. What makes it worth so m

Agree with all the comments here. KM1000/1500 are superior instruments to LM700, in terms of build quality and finish. Northfield s series are a step up in quality again.
    How an instrument plays and...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing Melody in Irish Sessions

It sounds like you are not freezing but instead you' re getting "lost" when you are playing with others.

You say you can play tunes to decent speed on your own but when you play with others things...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Dream, Dream, Dream...so what's your list?

Im in my A style/two point phase. If money and availability were not an issue my top 5 would be

1- Top of my list is this Campanella...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Finding chords and double stops

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?117469-Learning-chords&highlight=Pick+losers+guide+double+stops

You'll find a link to it in this thread. Also worth mentioning Frank Geiger's BUILD...
  23. Re: You can help me again, and this time it's FREE!

Voted. Best of luck!
  24. Re: Have a CT-55considering grabbing a couple Wegen's. which one?

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?111856-Wegen-Bluegrass-picks

Heres a link to a thread where I posted a pic of a couple of different wegen picks and a ct55.
  25. Re: Just ordeded some primetone semi-round triangle picks

I have both. Heres a thread I started on these picks a while back -http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?117013-Dunlop-Primetone-pick&p=1415238#post1415238

I find the printed picks a...
Page 1 of 2 1 2