Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: sinker cypress

Just to clear up some botanical confusion, Port Orford cedar (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana) and Bald cypress (Taxodium distichum) are not in the same genus, but are in the same conifer family...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Thanks Mark for your appreciation, and thanks for being the head librarian for this project. I get a whole lot of value from the Cafe community. It’s nice that I had the opportunity to express my...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Speaking Of Stradolins

That’s really unfortunate. Once you try one, you’ll never go back!:))
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Speaking Of Stradolins

Strad-O-Lins are just cool and fun mandolins shrouded in mystery. I’m very happy with mine and I also like how my late 30s Harmony Monterey mandolin sounds. Inexpensive instruments can still make...
  5. Replies
    Views

Here’s the current contents of the two samplers:
    212920. 212921

If there are picks that you recommend, especially those that are less well-known or more expensive, they would be good to add. ...
  6. Replies
    Views

Hi Martin - That sounds like a good idea to put you in line behind Chris because you’re “local”. Best to PM Mark so he’s sure to see your request.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Suggestions for a wedding march

My wife chose “Give me Your Hand” which was very appropriate, since we met on the dance floor. Now it’s one of the tunes I play it on mandolin. And you can’t go wrong with O’Carolan - lots of...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: The Sounds of Silence

Yes, another wonderful mandola tune! ….. Which reminds me, I need to continue working on the three Beatles tunes for which I have Colin’s excellent tab arrangements. So little time, so much...
  9. Replies
    Views

I’ve finally finished the culling and reorganization of the two Mandolin Café Pick Samplers. Number one is on its way, practically next door to Jesse in the Bay Area, and number two is heading...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Big ol' baby looking for reassurance

Also note that vintage instruments from GC have only a three day return window. I don’t know if this is the same for any used instrument, but good to pay attention when you purchase from them.
  11. Re: Looking for a good mid-level octave mandolin..

I have an older Trinity OM that has a decent sound and playability. Used ones can be picked up for a reasonable price. I have mine out on the couch so I can play it when I wander by. A good entry...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Cafe Hat

I just used a 3ft bolt cutter I had recently used (and not put back) to carefully cut the button off. It was easy and the small rivet hole seems ok. I did this on an old hat that is approaching its...
  13. Replies
    Views

This question piqued my interest (and provided an excuse to procrastinate on starting some much-needed yard work). The fabric-covered button is called a 'Squatchee', also known as a squatcho. It...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: HOG SOL on SGW

Got my ebay Strad-O-Lin today and although the case, alas, doesn’t fit my 2-point SOL (the impetus for bidding), the new mandolin is a nice one. As such, my SAS has quieted slightly and I’ll not be...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: HOG SOL on SGW

My late wife was Annie (not the owner of this mandolin), so am tempted to bid, but as I have an eBay SOL arriving today (assuming FedEx is being honest), will probably pass (but maybe not!). Annie...
  16. Replies
    Views

I’d like to see the khaki ones again.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Lutherie as an art form

I don’t know what art is, but I know what I like………mandolins!

Art should be part of everyone’s activities, whether it’s arranging what you make for dinner or how you plant your garden. Whatever...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: 1940s Strad-O-Lin

The seller offered $100 off, so I went ahead and took the bait, mostly because I wanted the case for my 2-point Strad-O-Lin (and I don’t have this particular SOL model :))). I expect it to be shipped...
  19. Re: Removing Adhesive Residue - 1930s Regal 'Custom Built'

Hi Brad -

If you can wait a couple of weeks until I get back home, I can send you some unused dynamo label material to test and see what works best to remove the glue. Once you know that, you...
  20. Re: either a little mandolin or really big tailpiece - Ebay

It’s a small instrument with a bottle gourd back. The gourd variety has various common names: dinosaur gourd, Caveman's Club, and Maranka Gourd.

Years ago I made a three stringed “cucurbitar” out...
  21. Replies
    Views

Stromberg Voisinet tuners explained

I now have three different Stromberg Voisinet mandolins, none of which have a complete set of functioning tuners. The nicer two have mahogany sides and back (laminate?) while the other appears to be...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: new trend?

Necroposting?
    To
    Certainly a case of raising the dead!

This has been a fun discussion and will make me a little more careful when responding to threads…..in theory, at least!
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: new trend?

I may have inadvertently necroposted by “thanking” a comment (not sure if that actually resurrects the thread) while looking for information on a particular topic.

I do appreciate when folks...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Stradolins

Well, the SOL I won on EBay came today. 211065 Overall, it’s in pretty good shape except for some fret wear. The fifth fret buzzes on the A and D strings, more pronounced on the A and goes pretty...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Stradolins

I’ll take the tuners apart, clean them with naphtha, and apply a fine machine oil I got from Stew Mac. I also have some lemon oil specific for fretboards - also a standard treatment for a new...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4