Search:

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Tiritomba - Neapolitan song

In imslp.org comment that: "This song doesn't seem to have Neapolitan origin; probably it comes from middle Europe and was notated and arranged by G. Cottrau." Since the Cottrau, father and son,...
  2. Replies
    Views

Vivaldi's Largo from Winter

I made this arrangement many years ago. I transcribed and transposed to D (from the original E-flat) simply because E-flat is no fun on classical guitar. The impetus was the memorial service for a...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: I would like to buy a EMBERGHER

I highly recommend that you don't just jump into this without adequate information. When I first was interested in Emberghers there was the book "The Embergher Mandolin" by Ralf Leenen and Barry...
  4. Replies
    Views

The Kensington Etudes - Chris Acquavells

As many already know Chris Acquavella (via Trekel) published a suite of 30 etudes dedicated to his students. He also released his CD of 10 of them "Recording Of The Dawn" (Bandcamp & all the usual...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: My latest builds

Sound sample of the gittern:

HuxcyLV2HS8
  6. Replies
    Views

New Blackwood and WRC 2-point mandolin

Kia ora,
    Thought I'd pop up some pics of the mandolin that just left my wee workshop. Was a commission for a local player's son, who has a thing about otters, so I made a wee copy of his otter...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

Hi Folks! Still healing this left hand, so here's something I've been using to keep the right honest. This is Nino Rotas' tune originally used in the 1958 Italian film Fortunella and then of course...
  8. Replies
    Views

Mandolin in Engelmann Spruce and RIver Oak

Just completed the second of two 14.75 inch mandolins in Englemann Spruce and River Oak. This one has a ziricote finger board and ebony binding and is finished with hardened shellac.

9. Tuba Skinny washboard player's mandolin side project

I have been following Tuba Skinny (New Orleans trad jazz) through YouTube vids for years ; today I learned that Robin Rapuzzi, their washboard player, plays mandolin. His trio, Rapuzzi Glo Worms,...
  10. Replies
    Views

My latest builds

Oud:

https://i.imgur.com/guvXRss.jpg

Small baroque guitar:

https://i.imgur.com/VoevfYx.jpg

Medieval gittern:
  11. Replies
    Views

Gymnopédie No.1 (Erik Satie)

An arrangement by K.Krantz of Satie's piano piece for violin and guitar played on my German bowlback and my shortscale Torres-copy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0J9Mo_87ko
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Busking with limberjacks

I’m on a roll here. I’ve added a fiddler limberjack to the crew. The tune is one of my originals, ‘Pierrot’, performed by the whole Webley Twizzle Project band.

https://youtu.be/43xTzsg5A2w
  13. Replies
    Views

Robert Crumb on Mandolin

Cartoonist R. Crumb plays the mandolin on this video in the style of his band the Cheap Suit Serenader's. I love the guys artwork and his music but never watched a video of him playing. I never...
  14. Re: Suzuki Neapolitan style 1980s good? [or others, beginner]

That is called compensation and it is to fine tune so the strings play more in tune.

I have owned a Suzuki bowlback made in the 1970s and it was, as David mentioned, overbuilt. However I have...
  15. Replies
    Views

Early 1900s Gibson A

I recently took possession of my Grandfather's old A Model. I had assumed it was an A Jr, due to lack of binding or ornamentation, though someone else mentioned that the "Jr" series came along...
  16. Replies
    Views

A-Jr in Ex condition - a rarity

Seen in the classifieds. No personal connection. This A-Jr defies my observation that it's rare to see the economy models in 'closet' condition. And much more common to find an A-4 that was put aside...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Questions about tuning

I’m not sure where you got the statistics for “the norm”, but that’s contrary to my observations and experience. It may be that you simply believe that should be the norm because of expansion and...
  18. Article: 1966 Red Rector Field Recording Discovered

You can view the page at https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content/953-1966-Red-Rector-Field-Recording-Discovered
  19. Replies
    Views

A couple of new mandolins

Off to the US next month for the Guild of American Luthiers convention in Tacoma WA. I will have a couple of new mandolins with me. The latest of the King Billy and Huon Pine oval hole mandolins, and...
  20. Giuseppe Pettine, "Murmuring Brook": Robert Margo, Mandola in C

Giuseppe Pettine was one of the leading mandolinists in the United States during the first half of the twentieth century. A celebrated teacher as well as performer, Pettine also composed numerous...
  21. Raffaele Calace, "Prelude Nr. 15": Robert Margo, Mandola in C

During the "Golden Age" of the mandolin in the early twentieth century United States, it was common for mandolists to perform works written originally for the mandolin on the mandola in C (tuned...
  22. Replies
    Views

Neapolitan style mandolin

Mandolino Napoletana. Tiger Myrtle and Rose Myrtle bowl, spruce top, NG Rosewood neck, Gidgee fingerboard and armrest. I think the mold is mostly accurate now, it could loose 5mm from the width but...
  23. Replies
    Views

Kelley redwood/koa F5

Just finished setting up this mandolin. It had a redwood top from brother Ken’s stash and koa back, sides and neck. I’m really happy with this sound. Nice trebles, strong mid-range and strong bass....
  24. New MP3 by Bulent Yazici - Duet No. 5 for 2 Mandolins in G Major

A new MP3 has been added to the Mandolin Cafe MP3 page and podcast.

Song title: "Duet No. 5 for 2 Mandolins in G Major: III. Alla Venezia"
    By: Bulent Yazici - Duet No. 5 for 2 Mandolins in G...
  25. Replies
    Views

Carlo Aonzo Playing Gioviale

Carlo Aonzo performing Giovanni Gioviale with orchestra? Yes please! Idilio Primaverile and Viale Fiorito. (apologies if this has already been posted).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhdCJpTyYDY...
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4