Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Creating New Fiddle Tunes (Mandolin Tunes, Technically Speaki

I wrote what I thought was the most beautiful Am waltz a few years ago and then realized I had just put Jerusalem Ridge into 3/4 time! :))
  2. Re: Creating New Fiddle Tunes (Mandolin Tunes, Technically Speaki

As mentioned above, Jay Ungar is one good example. Over on the Irish trad side of the fence, there have been many popular tunes written since the 1940's by fiddlers like Seán Ryan, Paddy Fahey, Liz...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Drum Rudiments to Picking Exercises

Interesting article. I can see how working through all – what? 40? – rudiments like this would be excellent for your right hand.

It's free! Link:
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Recording: Can't Figure This Out

I use the much less expensive Audio-Technica shockmounts on my SDC mics, I think it's the model AT8410a that sells for around $60 USD. Works fine with my KM184's, Mojave MA-100's, and Royer ribbon...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Scrolls on Peghead now patented by Gibson?

...which they've been doing relentlessly since 1986.
  6. Re: Scrolls on Peghead now patented by Gibson?

The only reason there are so many mandolin builders in the first place is that Gibson for all practical purposes abandoned making mandolins, not completely but definitely anything resembling the F-5...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: List of essential Irish session tunes.

Well, it's a good question and I've never figured this one out either. :)

First off, if you're talking about joining a local session, then I'll agree with the advice to visit that one session and...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Home Recording Setup

Yes. They're fine - the issue with Oktava's has always been quite a lot of variability, or at least, used to be. I have not tried any recent ones, modded or unmodified, though. In the SD department,...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Recording: Can't Figure This Out

That's a really open-ended question. How much money have you got?:)

All I can tell you is what I'm using, which is based on slowly building up a mic collection over 20 years on a non-pro,...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Taran Springwell Mandolin

https://vimeo.com/123505249

https://vimeo.com/123505248
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: One tip that changed everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrhzX3dRRiI
  12. Re: BPM and some other form of measuring tempo?

My favourite video for explaining tempo for Irish reels and jigs is this one, which also explains why reels (and indeed jigs) should be considered as having two beats to a bar, regardless of whether...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: How long, really, until I can unpack it...

I had another brilliant idea: do you have a meat thermometer?
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: How long, really, until I can unpack it...

If you go outside and unpack it, the temperature should be about the same. Then you can warm yourself up by playing it for a couple of hours while you gradually bring it inside.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Beginning Celtic Mandolin

Here's a great little tune with breakdown from Marla Fibish!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ESBrq76whY
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: E string keeps jumping out of nut slot

It is weird that the behavior changed, unless a small chip has broken off the nut (sometimes likely since it is at the edge), or your winding style changed.

I had this problem with a new Buchanan,...
  17. Thread: Pava Knesevic

by Tommcgtx
    Replies
    Views

Pava Knesevic

Saw this on Facebook from Ellis, thought I'd share it here:

http://www.themandolinplayer.net/pava-knesevic
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: 4 Bridge System Madness.

I spent hours trying to get Audacity working with my hardware today and gave up in frustration.

...then I remembered the mic has an off switch. ...stupid bloody off switch ....should be illegal.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Hot Bluegrass breaks

I think most of us went through that fascination at some point! Truth be told, those "cool bluegrass licks" can vary widely in style, depending on what it is you're playing. They are actually very...
  20. Replies
    Views

Punch Brothers - Webcast TONIGHT!

Check out this link tonight to watch a webcast of the Punch Brother's show from Atlanta:
    https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/punch-brothers
  21. Re: Marissa Carroll: Technique, technique, technique.

Alright folks, back on track. Go start another thread if you want to bash Steve or praise Lucinda:). I love Marissa, she's like the classical Adam Steffey (right hand joke). She certainly is...
  22. Thread: Repurposing

by metrognome
    Replies
    Views

Re: Repurposing

Wow, live and learn! The 355 body is a tiny bit narrower than the mando or the tele so the clamp would need adjustment to snug it up, but it's not different by much.

On the lefty tele using the...
  23. Re: Music Theory Exercises Without Your Instrument

Don't turn this stuff into some "calculus/math" overthink thing. You are just putting a lyric to the melody, (or the motif, or the arpeggio, or scale.) It's gibberish at the outset, but you don't...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Home Recording Setup

No guesses so far then? I am the first to admit that this is NOT EASY. The differences are far, far less than the internet 'gear discussion' groups would have you believe. I remember that some years...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: new mando from mandoshop

I'm removing the posting privileges of this account with comment.

First off, I have no opinion positive or negative of the Mando Shop, no experience dealing with them. I think maybe I've had 1-2...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4