Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

The long road back begins at last

In late September last year, I nearly chopped off the index and middle fingers of my left hand with my table saw. The blade cut cleanly through the tendons, bone and nerves,leaving only some skin and...
  2. Replies
    Views

Another trigger finger post

Several threads in the past regarding trigger finger surgery vs. cortisone shots and PT. Yesterday I had trigger finger release surgery after trying for far too long alternative means to alleviate...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Sobell Gig Bag or carrying case

Reunion blues are great bags but I think the body width is 11 which is roomier than normal but probably not big enough for a Sobell (11.5 - 12.5?)

The Fusion is a good gig bag that has 11.8. ...
  4. Re: Advice on valuing my fathers Stefan Sobell mandolin

Hi English Rose,

Stefan Sobell has got a page on his web site where he advertises instruments which are available now. Very often these are instruments which are being sold on behalf of people...
  5. Re: Gibson is preparing to sell NFTs of its most famous models

Okay…. Here’s my attempt at understanding.

NFT = Non-Fungible Token
    In general, it is a one of a kind “digital” asset that can’t be replaced.

Non-Fungible = Unspecific merchandise that...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Koady Chaisson, RIP

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. The Island is a small world. I'm sure that many Islanders are grieving.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Koady Chaisson, RIP

If you would like to hear part of the broadcast of The East Pointers last Prism Coffee House show our local radio station, WTJU, will be streaming the show at 8:00pm EST as a dedication to Koady. You...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Museum

Jim, your description of your visit comports with my assessment of what I've seen online. It seems more of a vanity project than a comprehensive overview of the mandolin, in its many aspects. It's...
  9. Re: Stefan Sobell mandolins and other instruments

A nice recent video about Stefan.

"Go with the magic"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqep_ikrOCM
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Best all time Inlay's

Anyone else out there who cares more about how a mandolin plays and sounds than how good the bling is?
  11. Replies
    Views

Happy Victoria Day

"The 24th of May
    Is the Queen's birthday,
    If we don't get a holiday,
    We'll all run away."

In much of Canada, the only country that celebrates this holiday, Victoria Day is the unofficial...
  12. Re: Cleaning gunk off a nitrocellulose lacquer finish

"Nitrocellulose" and and "satin" are not mutually exclusive. In other words, a "satin" finish can be nitro or it can be nearly any other finish material.
    Naphtha, used in moderation, is generally...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Have you seen any new Passernigs?

The last new builds I recall were a pair of A5’s (#88 and #92 I believe) that sold through Fiddler’s Green in the first of the year back in 2019.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Ottawa Mandolin Club Starting Up

We had a second meeting tonight -- the first for me --and had a good time with tunes and talk. I'm looking forward to more and appreciate Barry's organization and guidance. At this point, it seems...
  15. Replies
    Views

I attended an inaugural session with other mando players in Ottawa last night. Thanks to Barry for taking the initiative to form a local collective for mandolin players.

We had a great time...
  16. Replies
    Views

Thanks for your interest BBarton.
    I certainly will. I am generating some positive interest. Please feel welcome to PM me,
    Also if you know of any other players who may be interested please pass on...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: double stops "up the neck"

Read 'Guide to Doublestops' very thoroughly. I promise that you'll benefit.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: NK Forster Celtic O mandolin

Yep, the "Celtic" mandolin is a very similar shape to both Brazilian and Portugese instruments. That makes sense as Stefan Sobell based his 70's Cittern on an old Portugese Guitarra. When he was...
  19. Gordon Stobbe awarded the Order of Canada

http://thechronicleherald.ca/artslife/1534143-nova-scotia-fiddler-stobbe-awarded-order-of-canada

Stobbe is of course not only a fiddler but a fine mandolin player. Congratulations, Gordon!
  20. It's time for many in the north to start humidifting.

A deleted post in the builder's section reminded me that it's time for my annual rant on the importance of humidifying your home when your heating system starts to run regularly.
    My preferred and...
  21. Replies
    Views

Mary Coogan Mandolin Class

I had the pleasure of taking Mary Coogan's advanced mandolin class at the O'Flaherty irish Music Retreat last week and it was an eye opener.

To my mind there is no consensus on how the mandolin...
  22. Frankie Gavin & Alec Finn, Aidan Coffey & Colm Murphy

I was lucky enough to get to Cork recently to witness a marvellous concert, celebrating the launch of Aidan Coffey's latest album (all proceeds to mental health awareness) entitled "The Corner House...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave mandolin as tenor guitar?

And video.

Works pretty well, I think you'll agree!

https://youtu.be/6DYUVy00Wig
  24. Replies
    Views

A modern oval hole mandolin

This is a new type of oval hole mandolin I have just finished. Not sure what to call it, it is different from the vintage Gibsons, so I have called it "modern", but could have called it "small...
  25. Replies
    Views

Taran Springwell Mandolin

Hopefully this is the right place to post this - seems like other people are placing similar posts in this section.

About a month ago I took delivery of a new Taran Springwell mandolin made by...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3