Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Help a Beginner?

Baron Collins-Hill is a large part of how I broke through with my mandolin playing. I developed a taste for Irish Fiddle tunes because of him.
    Thick picks help a lot. I use "Jim Dunlop Primetones...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: The Obvious 12/26 Question

I got a 2002 Gibson A9, but it doesn't come in until tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

I got new fishing pliers, a digital scale and some bait cast lures.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: What's The One That Got Away?

#1 My first Gibson was a 2002 F9 in pristine condition that I bought from Tejon Street Music for about $1,900. It was an absolute dream with the exception of the nut needing some minor repair. I...
  4. Re: Opinion about Gibson F-5G and F-9 new iterations

I have owned a 2002 F9 and a 2010 F5G. Both were great mandolins but I absolutely adored the F9 and its been one of my greatest regrets selling it. The F9 had a narrow nut which I did not realized...
  5. Thread: Why "The"?

by Pilot172000
    Replies
    Views

Re: Why "The"?

Almost all Mando builders spend their entire careers trying to recreate a single mandolin. Mandolin players are suckers for tradition. Why else would we pay gobs of money for an f style when an a...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins at Guitar Center Geldora Ca.

I have been to half a dozen Guitar Centers. There are plenty of things to play with but I have never ever had any luck finding a playable mandolin. I guess that's why they call it Guitar Center and...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in Heaven ?

I started back playing because I wanted to contribute to the small house church we started a few months ago and can tell you that as beautiful sounding as the old gospel tunes I am learning sound, I...
  8. Re: 2001 Flatiron Festival F - Add a radiused fretboard?

It has been said a thousand times and will be repeated a thousand more. The Flatiron Festival is one of the most underrated and undervalued mandolin out there.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: A nod to Ratliff Mandolins

It has that Gibson choppy sound, very impressed. I like it better than my Flatiron that has a warmer sound.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: A nod to Ratliff Mandolins

Ratliff was on my radar a few years back when I bought my first Gibson. He has some amazing youtube videos which finely detail his work. That coupled with a good sense of humor makes his videos...
  11. Replies
    Views

A nod to Ratliff Mandolins

I have always been a Gibson guy. So, when I decided to go spend the money, I bought an F9 and then later an F5G and finally a Montana made Flatiron. I loved them all. Selling that F9 was a life...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson taps JC Curleigh as new CEO

I am a father of four. This month I put a Deering Banjo in my 11 year old's hands and bought him lessons. The next week I put a big muddy flat top in my 6 year old's hands and bought him lessons....
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: The (China)Loar

I had a LM590 that turned into an exceptional mandolin. It was heavier than I liked but got louder over time.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Big Muddy Mandolins mini documentary.

It’s my reintroduction instrument. I sold my Gibson 2 years ago and have regretted it so I decided a good flat top would help me get back to where i was.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Merry Christmas!

My wife was was just told by my 4 year old , that he couldn't go to sleep before Santa got here because Daddy won't stop playing his mandolin! God Bless and Merry Christmas.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Opinions On The Gibson F5G

Just bought my first F5G. I am anxious to see how it turns out!
  17. Re: Question on Serial Number in Flatiron Festival Mandolin

Thanks Nick. I like the sound but just wanted more mandolin and the brown color isn't quite my style.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Dwight Yoakum on Late Night

I loved it!! Dwight was one of the most important musical influences for me as a kid. Back in the mid to late eighties, my Uncle would cover a lot of his songs at his gigs. We got a healthy dose...