Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: PEEK Pick by EML Picks

They'd be a custom order. Just contact Nik if you'd like those materials in any shape.
  2. Replies
    Views

That was 2020, not 2021. I think I reached out to Eric sometime during that year as well, and he said he was still planning to get going again. But since then has gone radio silent. I went digging...
  3. Replies
    Views

Nik does a decent job of explaining the PEI > Ultem > specific glass filled content grade here: https://www.apollopicks.com/faqs

Ultex/Prime tone are PEI > Ultem, but probably not the same glass...
  4. Replies
    Views

Since I'm here, I have an EML casein pick that Eric made me back in early 2018 that is the one of my all time favorite picks. Only pick I have that brings out the best tone of every acoustic...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone traveler?

I own 2 models of tone-rite. I use them on new instruments or those that haven't been played in awhile. The tone-rite has adjustable amplitude but not frequency.

My subjective observation: After...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Need some advice on a tuner pedal

I'm a fan of the TC Electronics Polytune. I have the clip on and polytune 3 mini noir pedal. I use a Peterson StroboPlus HD for setup/intonation work and pedal steel, so I'd say my bar for tuning...
  7. Re: Can anyone top this amount of Blue Chip pick wear?

Nothing like that wear, but this is one of the older Blue Chips from before the model codes were engraved (it's the same as a TP50). Not my only pick, but it's gotten plenty of play time in the 16 or...
  8. Re: How long does it take to get over fumble fingers?

All of the above. Plus, keep the following in mind.

"People overestimate what can be done in one year, and underestimate what can be done in ten."

It is difficult to maintain motivation over...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: High marks for Schaller GrandTunes

I wouldn't recommend them for that application. For the price of the Grandtunes and a pro install (it would require considerable redrilling) you could just move up to the Eastman 505 and get a far...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: potato chip casein picks

Might be helpful to share here for others.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Apollo Mike Marshall picks

Nik opens the store when his order backlog has room for more. He hand makes each pick and the demand has grown pretty high, so the best option is to get on his mailing list or watch his social media...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: High marks for Schaller GrandTunes

Oliver posted this the other day, and it seemed relevant to this discussion. This happens to be my new Apitius Rosine Loar Spec, and I requested the gallalith ivoroid buttons on the Grandtunes...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Trying to identify an old pick

Maybe a Dunlop Jazztone 207? I have a 208 that looks about the same texture with the print worn off.

14. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Mandolin advice

Slight correction, Weber made them. Weber is not making any mando family instruments at the moment (and I suspect they won't be for the foreseeable future). This used Weber Bighorn Octave just popped...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis F5 Special

Famous MASt words! ;)

Absolutely stunning instrument!
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe’s mandolin and other Loars.

That said, I've spent countless hours pouring over the Loar signed mandolin photos in the Mandolin Archive F5 Journal which has a lot of examples in far closer to factory condition than Bill's.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe’s mandolin and other Loars.

The vast majority of photographs before the 1970s were black & white as color photography was cost prohibitive. Without color, it's very difficult to discern the much about the finish, which is what...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Should a beginner buy electric mandolin?

I guess that depends on what is meant by "tone production". I tend to think of that as the ability to pull sufficiently loud tone from an acoustic instrument that is also pleasing to the ear. Which I...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: K&K jack for an A5

I have put a K&K in with the provided 1/4in jack and drilled out an Allen style tailpiece AND the wood behind it to fit it. Personally, I probably wouldn't want to go that route again unless...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: K&K jack for an A5

Tapastring Vintage Jack for Mandolin is the answer you seek.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Apitius Mandolins

Yes, Oliver's f-holes are a key part of the Apitius voicing along with his tone bars. Here's a shot under the hood of an Apitius voiced top.

22. Replies
    Views

I'm surprised it hasn't sold yet. I'd be interested if Oliver wasn't literally putting the finishing touches on mine as we speak.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mando Suggestions

At that price point, you're right on the cusp of the next tier up where things start to get really good. I'd suggest considering a used instrument like a Northfield Model M, one might pop up in the...
  24. Replies
    Views

I have to mention that we have an Apitius Mandolin Group here that is a bit quiet. I've been posting my progress photos recently.
  25. Replies
    Views

Mine will be a Rosine Loar Spec. His 4 F models and 1 A model differ only in aesthetics (binding, inlay, scroll & points). Sound wise, they will be exactly the same across models with the exception...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3