Search:

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko

finally learned this deep cut from Minnesota a History of the Land, "Swede Hollow Lament" performed here on a 2022 Northfield Archtop Octave, a 1920 Gibson F4 and a 1917 Gibson A1. I tried the melody...
  2. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

Usually the ones that ain't for sale!:))
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Gig Bag for Austin Clark OM's

Hi Ray. I have a very protective Calton to use when this instrument is traveling in any situation that think has even the slightest risk to it.Trust me, I'm extremely cautious with this instrument. ...
  4. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

A 1924 F4 that belonged to a friend of mine. I helped him sell it, and had it at my house for a few weeks.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson's 1923 F-5 Master Model Reissue

Haven't seen this discussed and maybe it's not known, but one of the complaints we heard early on is that hide glue wasn't used in the construction of these. Not our area of expertise, but most...
  6. Replies
    Views

CNC cut inlay in CNC cut neck with CNC cut outline should be neat but they missed the design of the large scroll in the fist place and left it right off the CNC cutter.
    If you look at the TR cover...
  7. Replies
    Views

Purely from theoretical side I agree, but you cannot control all the tiny details from manager seat or spec'ing them exactly to whoever is at the bench and the result is always sum of those tiny...
  8. Replies
    Views

I haven't played one so I won't comment on tone. but these claims are quite bold:

"Thanks to scientific analysis, 3D scanning of original models, and Loar’s production notes from the Gibson...
  9. Re: Combo Mando /Fiddle Case - Not Too Heavy

I’ve owned several fiddle/mando combo cases. They all tend to be pretty heavy and bulky in my opinion. I think separate cases work best.
  10. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

Depends. Is it a Rogue or a Gilchrist?

I wouldn't want the Mando to sleep any colder than me. Will it get lonely and perhaps go with a passing stranger? I've heard they sometimes do that.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Wintergrass 2024 Vintage Instrument Workshop

Just a reminder to come on out to Wintergrass next week if you can. I am really looking forward to a great line up this year, and it looks like we will have at least 3 maybe 4 Loar signed mandolin...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Place to Shop For Mandolins

Go to Sam Ash or Guitar Center and play what they have and you'll have a baseline of how a poorly set up cheap mandolin plays and sounds. Get to some festivals and jams and talk to people who have...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Budget Mandolin? Advice.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to not buy a cheap mandolin. I went down that road and ended up spending a lot more money in the long run (buying, selling, setups, upgrading parts to try and get...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Realistic Value of a Particular Mandolin

The store mentioned in the previous post often lists used instruments at 50% to 80% greater than standard market prices.
    Some of their used instruments have been sitting there for years without...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday Tom Rozum

This seems like a great place to mention Tom's absolute classic 1998 album "Jubilee." It's not on the streaming platforms but was was hugely influential for myself and many of the best musicians I...
  16. Re: RECOVERED: Stolen Gibson F-4 Mandolin Serial #66824

Last week the top brace repair was completed by Tom Crandall and I went back to the city and picked it up at the shop. We raised the action a bit and it sounded and played great. I asked Tom what...
  17. Replies
    Views

Wintergrass 2024 Vintage Instrument Workshop

The workshop schedules are now posted on the Wintergrass 2024 site (https://wintergrass.com/) and again this year we are doing a Fretboard Journal Vintage Instrument workshop session. Wintergrass is...
  18. Re: Is "Mr Sun Plays Duke Ellington's Nutcracker Suite" bluegrass

I wasn't confused. I was just questioning why Apple Music had labeled under the "Bluegrass" genre. It should be categorized as "Holiday" or "Jazz".

Apple Music needs a "Fake News" button next to...
  19. Re: Is "Mr Sun Plays Duke Ellington's Nutcracker Suite" bluegrass

I was fortunate enough to see this performed live last night in Berkeley. It is a very interesting and enjoyable take on the Ellington and Strayhorn presentation of Tchaikovsky. I would agree it’s...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: How to sell an Antique Mandolin?

Another observation is often sellers are put off by the consignment fee, but it is worth it, IMHO. Reason being, you have to be able to talk the language required as part of the salesmanship. For...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: How to sell an Antique Mandolin?

Confused....it has been stated many times on this forum that Lloyd Loar never built any mandolins while at Gibson. His function was in the design....anybody? Obviously, we have all heard of...
  22. Re: Heiden's....the most expensive modern mandolin builder?

I have an Artist A5 and it was I think $7,200 in 2006. I got it for $6,600 in 2007. They're expensive because they're worth it! :mandosmiley:
  23. Re: Heiden's....the most expensive modern mandolin builder?

You mention both Gilchrist and Monteleone as comparison, so I have to weigh in. I've had the distinct pleasure of owning all 3 at some point and overlapped most of them for direct comparison. I...
  24. Re: Heiden's....the most expensive modern mandolin builder?

And they are worth every penny. Simply amazing mandolins.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Request for a few standards for jams

If the jam you are attending is a “strictly bluegrass” jam, I’d suggest listening to Bill Monroe a lot, and learning some of his songs. Most attendees of a strictly bluegrass jam will be familiar...
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4