Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: chop or other rhythm techniques for octave mandolin?

I can 'chop' barre chords on an OM, and I do it on my tenor a lot. I don't really try to reach the real chop chords.
    It mostly sounds like a muted guitar, but there is a lot of variety of sounds...
  2. Re: chop or other rhythm techniques for octave mandolin?

On the Mandolin and Beer podcast I heard Mike Marshall say that chop chords shouldn't be played on Octave Mandolins. He mentioned this when giving an example of the type of mistakes he may see one of...
  3. Re: chop or other rhythm techniques for octave mandolin?

I did a search for "Tim O'brien octave mandolin" and found some great live videos. (He plays different genres, including bluegrass and celtic, on different instuments, including mandolin and octave...
  4. Re: chop or other rhythm techniques for octave mandolin?

That is an over-generalization. Yes, if you play a chord on a mandolin and then quickly mute it, that could be considered percussion and that is usually the purpose in a bluegrass band since there...
  5. Re: chop or other rhythm techniques for octave mandolin?

ITM is "Irish Traditional Music".

"quite keen to play swing jazz (trad and gypsy especially"

Good, because I can offer some assistance there, being a native New orleans jazz musician and a...
  6. Re: chop or other rhythm techniques for octave mandolin?

Enjoy your new instrument!

As for the octave mandolin, it really depends what sort of music you like and would care to play. ITM or other "Celtic" music? Italian music? Obviously Bluegrass since...
  7. Replies
    Views

Mandolin fingerpicking instruction?

With your help I've assembled a bunch of mando instruction books to work through, that seem to work together:

Mandolin for Dummies
    Mandolin Greg Horne (complete)
    The Complete Mandolinist...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Where to start with Jazz Mandolin?

re-reading the original post I see the poster was asking for suggestions of tunes, and coming from a flat-pick fiddle backround. So here comes a bunch of that. Not to suggest that the book and...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Where to start with Jazz Mandolin?

If you are interested in playing any style of jazz, I'd suggest:

1. Listening to a lot of the best players of all eras - particularly horn players - to help you internalize the sound and swing of...
  10. Replies
    Views

Last year it was Oh Esther Where Art Thou?  A...

Last year it was Oh Esther Where Art Thou? #A Downhome Jewgrass Purim featuring the Soggy Matzah Boys. #This year were really plugging in with The Not Ready For Purim Time Players. Here's the short...