Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: MIX Carbon Fiber Mandolin Truss Rod Question

Hi Julie,
    Among the many virtues of carbon fiber is the fact that it does not absorb or shed moisture and is extraordinarily strong and resilient. It is extremely unlikely that the neck has...
  2. Re: MIX Carbon Fiber Mandolin Truss Rod Question

Have a Mix A5.. I got a re-fret... they leveled the fingerboard, then, put the new frets in..

Other side of The River , Portland Fretworks .. Bill : $400.. (Oregon, No Sales Tax)
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: MIX Carbon Fiber Mandolin Truss Rod Question

I guess the fingerboard was glued on with epoxy and could react to heating and clamping to straighten the neck....
  4. Re: Requesting Recommendation for Strings for MIX Mandolin

I started with Jazzmando JM11s (flat wounds), and later used the D'Addario Flat Wounds. I like the flat wound feel and neither had any squeak. Both had a diminished volume, however. I don't know if I...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Best A style Oval Hole under $1300

Morris, hands down. Completely hand-built by Sonny Morris (in Oregon) to your specs. I've played quite a few of his and they are all great. And you'll have money left over. I like Eastman, they...
  6. Replies
    Views

Rest in peace - Joe Carr

South Plains College instructor of bluegrass and prominent Mel Bay author Joe Carr passed away today. Joe was a beautiful guy and an important figure in the history of bluegrass and early country...
  7. Re: Requesting input about Collings MFO and MF5O and other ovals.

Julie, not to contradict any previous suggestions but projection and what I think of as a cutting voice treasured by the Grassers is mostly in the realm of F hole design. That is the very reason it...
  8. Re: Requesting input about Collings MFO and MF5O and other ovals.

Hi Julie - I had exactly what you're looking for about 4 years ago - a Weber Oval hole 'Beartooth' "A" style. Unfortunately it turned out to have a warped neck,so i traded it in for another "F"...
  9. Re: Requesting input about Collings MFO and MF5O and other ovals.

Julie

I am by no means an expert or long term player regarding mandolins having only started with this instrument around 10 months ago.

I will offer up thoughts I have formed after looking for...
  10. Re: Requesting input about Collings MFO and MF5O and other ovals.

Not sure what you mean by "wood in the sound," but a lot of ovals can have a lot of projection; it's just a matter of finding the right one. It does sound like a "hybrid" F4 could fit the bill, such...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Dear Old Illinois

For those interested, I heard from the folks putting this book out:
  12. Re: ASAP Irish Mandolin: Learn How to Play the Irish Way

Listen to Marla Fibish...