Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: A Jr- Interesting Wood Grain

I have an A-Jr., still original, still strong. A good, honest instrument. It’s a little louder than my Stradolin, but just as friendly.

I am fortunate to be the steward of a wonderful 100...
  2. Replies
    Views

Essential Companion

I now spend more time on fiddle than on mando -- there’s something about that dern Devil’s Box that challenges me to make the most of its weird versatility. But the mandolin is an essential companion...
  3. Replies
    Views

Eastman customer service

I have an Eastman mandola that I use for playing J.S. Bach. Recently one of the tailpiece hooks broke off. I contacted Eastman and they responded immediately with a replacement tailpiece under...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Do I need a mandola?

I like playing JSBach and the mandola is perfect for that. The low C string provides depth and sustain that propels the music.

For other music, the mandola’s range is nice — it’s something like a...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Flat Wound Strings

Agreed, they are the best.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: TablEdit is back!

Yall have done a great job, thank you!
  7. Thread: McClung Armrest

by Strabo
    Replies
    Views

Re: McClung Armrest

Thanks for your good work, Doug. I have three, two on mandolins and one on a mandola using a viola clamp. They all look good, work great and prevent my arm from developing a permanent crease.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Another Thomastik Infeld Question

In my experience the Thomastiks are much, much better than the D'Addario flat wounds. They are smoother and have better tone. They are also incredibly stable and seem to last forever, so changing...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Absolute Silence

I have tried to mute the bridge, but the big adjustable mandolin bridge does not mute nearly as well as the thin violin bridge. My fiddle is easily muted with the black paper clamps.

I have an...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomastik-Infeld Strings

Best strings ever.
  11. Re: Gibson opposes Collings' headstock trademark registration, ci

I have a 1922 A Junior that i respect very much. I am disappointed by the behavior of the current Gibson people.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomastik starks on an arch top for classical

I have used Thomastiks for some time for classical music on my 1922 Gibson A Junior and also on my 1930s Dobro resonator. In my opinion, they are outstanding, far better than anything else. They have...
  13. Thread: Resonators

by Strabo
    Replies
    Views

Re: Resonators

I have a 1930s Dobro that is quite wonderful. With Thomastik strings it has beautiful, clear tone and very good sustain. It did require a neck reset but it now plays easily and intuitively. I use it...
  14. Re: Recommendation? Light/Medium Strings for CGDA 16.5" scale man

I’m a Thomastik fan and have used them on mandolins with excellent results. I tried the 164 strings on my 16” scale mandola. It was necessary to remove the silk wraps from some of the strings. But...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Classically Trained, wanting to expand

And well she should. Several interesting and enlightening comments here. Thanks to Emily for triggering it.
  16. Thread: Restringing aid

by Strabo
    Replies
    Views

Restringing aid

When restringing a mandolin, I find it helpful to have a way to hold the instrument steady so I can use both hands to guide and wind the strings onto the posts correctly. I have tried different...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Flatwound or regular strings for restring?

A few months ago I acquired an early Gibson A with newish J74s installed. I didn't care for the tone they produced, so I tried a variety of other strings. Somehow, each of them had some negative...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Stradolin pickup installation -- no end pin

I checked the f-hole and discovered that I can get the 1/2" jack through it, but just barely. The internal nut will only go in if it is separated from the barrel of the jack. Of course then it would...