Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Adiaha's Bluegrass Camp

I'm posting from a hotel room in Munich where I'm recovering from Adiaha's. It was indeed a great and productive experience. The community could not have been more welcoming, both personally and...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Tell me about Wernick Method Jam Camp

I attended my first Wernick workshop this summer in Paris. I had the double challenge of not only playing with more accomplished musicians, but keeping up with the instruction in a foreign language...
  3. Replies
    Views

Where to buy a mandolin in Paris?

I'm going to be in Paris for a few days next month, barring a new covid variant or the monkeypox really taking off, or, hell, these days a mecha attack wouldn't surprise me...

Anyway, while I'm...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Punch Brothers "Hell on Church Street"

8-TRACK? I had no idea I was hanging out with such a bunch of geezers!

(My first tape machine was a 1/4 inch reel-to-reel. Speed selectable to 3-3/4 or 7-1/2 ips. And it would do half-track for...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: New Chris Thile album

One has to believe the music moved him, even if it doesn’t move you or me.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: New Chris Thile album

Thile's progressive work is something I want to like more than I do. I tend to blame my ear, though, for not being educated enough to follow where he's trying to take me.

In a master class he did...
  7. Replies
    Views

Sarah Jarosz on Austin City Limits

Sarah Jarosz taped a set for Austin City Limits yesterday. I have no idea how long it will remain up, but right now you can watch it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDcLqrLaguw

8. Replies
    Views

What are you looking forward to?

I'm looking foward to the time when the only thing I use my cloth masks for is to clean the dust under my strings.
  9. Re: Beginner with new Gold Tone GME-5 questions

I was reluctant to start a whole new thread about my experience, but since this thread is just sitting here...

I want to put in a word for the folks at Gold Tone Music Group because they really...
  10. Replies
    Views

And just like that...

...I have my first emando, a Gold Tone 5 string.

I'm having a blast with it so far, but as a newb to electric instruments and still a relative newb to the mandolin I have questions, such as

Any...
  11. Replies
    Views

Sierra Hull has a Patreon!

Sierra Hull has started a Patreon as a way to connect with fans.

If you have $100 a month, you can get one-on-one lessons from her. I do not have $100 a month, besides which me taking a lesson...
  12. Re: Celebrating The Mandolin Pickers Guide to Bluegrass Improvisa

I just bought a (digital) copy - I'll let you know how it goes! I'm currently kind of in the middle of Sharon Gilchrist's intermediate course on Peghead Nation so I think this might be a good place...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Peace by Sarah Jarosz

New! and Improved! Whiter! Brighter! Longer-lasting!

...no, seriously, I cleaned up some of those transitions I missed on the first pass. Also here's the version I took it from:

14. Replies
    Views

Peace by Sarah Jarosz

This is deceptively simple little instrumental that I like very much. It's also the first time I worked out a complete song on my own from listening/watching. It's not perfect, there are a couple of...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Picking faster?

This thread came along at exactly the right time for me. I'd like to share what I've been doing that's helped my speed, and also ask for some advice.

I try to do about half an hour of just tremolo...
  16. Replies
    Views

This is not a brag...

...but I had to come share. I worked out a Sarah Jarosz break. It's from She Left Me Standing On The Mountain. I'm playing something that Sarah Jarosz played. Of course she recorded it when she was...
  17. Re: What do you recommend for a second mandolin?

colorado_al, I think you read my mind. I was admiring the 252 and trying to convince myself that the color and the radiused fretboard would be worth the extra money.

So I jumped. :) In addition to...
  18. What do you recommend for a second mandolin?

Hi everyone, long-time listener, first-time caller. I've been learning mandolin for about a year on my first instrument, a Fender FM 52E. And it's been fine for an absolute beginner but really, I...