Search:

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Lark in Ennis - Marla Fibish teaching there

Just heard about this week long event happening down in Ennis from May 20-24th, some great instructors lined up, including Marla Fibish for mandolin and Angelina Carberry for tenor banjo. The...
  2. Re: Has anyone played in Ireland Jam Sessions?

Just a heads up to the OP - we don't call them "jam sessions" over here, just sessions (ye might get a funny look if you walked in somewhere and asked if they had "jam sessions" there ), also...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

In addition to all the great advice above re: economy of motion and the importance of relaxation and playing with a light touch, another thing to be aware of is not to rush the notes as you play them...
  4. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

My Girouard! And for ones I don't own: A great F2 in a shop once, a Gilchrist Model 1 that was the business, a lovely Collings MT2V that I was sorely tempted to buy but didn't.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: The Nomad (mandola duet)

Ah that was the business Colin and the mandola really suits it! I know that tune as The Princess Royal - learnt it off an Angelina Carberry album years ago, think her version was done on a tenor...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Good picks for beginner

In the cheap and cheerful category of picks my favourites are the Jim Dunlop Delrin500 picks, especially if you use the shoulder end of the pick to play with, rather than the pointy end. I like how...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: The Humours of Glynn

Lovely stuff Mike!
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Fletcher tenor guitars?

The other video does indeed show a tenor banjo player, Angelina Carberry (my former banjo instructor from back in the day!) and the fella in the video with her is her now ex-husband Martin Quinn, who...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Fletcher tenor guitars?

I bought a second hand Fletcher Tenortone from a cafe member here about 12 years ago. I'd been wanting one for ages as I'd read about them here on a cafe thread and then had gotten the chance to meet...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintange Mandolins in Ireland

Someneck Guitars in Dublin sometimes gets in vintage and/or high end mandolins - I played an old Gibson A there back in 2019. Just outside of Galway Clareen Banjos down in Clarinbridge has mandolins...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: The Humours of Glynn (waltz)

The tune name is spelt as "Glynn" here in Ireland, it's a surname you come across here a fair bit. I've never seen the tune spelt as "Glin".
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

Another vote for tenor banjo, though of course I'm biased as I'm a banjo player! Maybe your mandolin playing friend is listening to the wrong banjo players - lots of wonderful players out there who...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Overthinking tone

This Sierra Hull video has some great tips on getting good tone. The instrument itself is just part of the equation:

-tCoGGcsi0I?feature=shared
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Place to Shop For Mandolins

I wouldn't be quick to write off buying a mandolin online. I've bought all the mandolins I've owned online, from reputable dealers, the benefit being that if you go through a shop like The Mandolin...
  15. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

Back in the early 2000's I was flying back to San Francisco after spending 10 months back home in Ireland. I was traveling with my '57 Gibson J50 acoustic guitar and my '68 Gibson Trini Lopez...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Shane MacGowan has passed (NMC)

@journeybear - Reading Franc's comment I don't think he's trying to rebuke you, seems like he's just expressing surprise, innocent enough reply I would think - how would he be expected to know that...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Shane MacGowan has passed (NMC)

To this day, anytime I drive over a bridge crossing the Shannon I say "The Broad Majestic Shannon..." out loud, it's always the first thing that comes to mind when I see that expanse of water!
  18. Re: Jigs on a Greek bouzouki - Kevin Macleod 2015

that was mighty Kevin!
  19. Re: Free irish Session Tunebook Out For Community Comment!

The tune archive over on the Wellington Sessions page is a great resource - loads of tunes and the ability to loop parts of them and/or slow them down:

https://irish.session.nz/tunes-archive/
  20. Re: "Remembering De Danann " at Electric Picnic, Ireland 2023

Cheers for posting those Kevin, great stuff altogether!
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Practice with a Mirror

Practicing in front of a mirror has nowt to do with being concerned about "how you look" and everything to do with being able to see what your right and left hands are doing and ensure that you're...
  22. Replies
    Views

Yes, great point that if you don't know what to look for then you won't see it - so let me add to my initial comment that once a player has had the benefit of someone with experienced eyes pointing...
  23. Replies
    Views

I think that approach would be fine if the player is fairly confident that they've got a very good grasp of technique and the mechanics of playing and are more looking to learn to play fluently...
  24. Replies
    Views

Yes, practicing in front of a mirror is a great way to see whether or not you're using good technique. Filming yourself playing is another great way to be able to go back over your playing, though...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Self-taught vs. …not!

I play several instruments and how I learned them differed:

Guitar: I'm basically self taught on guitar, started out with a few lessons when I was 11 but I wanted to play punk music and the...
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4