Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Instruments music shop, Philly

I will back up those compliments to Fred and his business. I have bought several instruments over the years, although I have never visited the store itself. The instruments are exactly as ...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: 1928 post-Loar snakehead neck profile

It seems like they had one standard fingerboard template for the A necks. Unbound necks feel smaller. Add 2.5-3mm more for a bound fingerboard and they feel larger overall (to me).
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: 1928 post-Loar snakehead neck profile

Well I guess it comes down to definitions..

The last snakehead (a quick image search tells me ) I have in the mandolin archive is 83001, so figure right around this serial is where that feature...
  4. Replies
    Views

If you've ever watched Antiques Roadshow on PBS, you've often seen Fred Oster consulting on vintage instruments. His Vintage Instruments shop is one of the best.
  5. Replies
    Views

They are my local shop and I've purchased 3 guitars from them. Top-notch folks to do business with!
  6. Replies
    Views

Fine, reputable business, fine instruments, and a fine moustache.

Bought my L&H style A from them decades ago.
  7. Replies
    Views

I've visited his shop a few times and wouldn't hesitate to buy from them. He was also a longtime Philly Folk Fest Volunteer and vendor.

Jamie.
  8. Replies
    Views

I have been doing business with Fred Oster and Vintage Instruments for over 40 years, and I have never had a bad experience. Fred is very knowledgeable and has a passion for vintage instruments. He...
  9. Replies
    Views

Fred Oster is a well-known and respected retailer of vintage instruments.
  10. Replies
    Views

Vintage Instruments in Philadelphia is a highly respected business.
  11. Replies
    Views

Yes. A very long established shop [1974]. They know their stuff, answer all questions, and deliver what they say they will deliver on a timely basis.
    And if you also have any interest in fine...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Back shirkage on Gibson snakehead

That is so common with those old Gibsons that I have a dedicated jig for aligning them.
  13. Replies
    Views

I suppose the first question is whether it’s “shrinkage” (shirkage!) or as a result of the back having been off. My ‘23/4 has a similar issue but it’s never been a problem. I suspect that the back on...
  14. Replies
    Views

Sometimes, a back joint will loosen up on one of these old Gibsons. If the open seam is not attended to immediately, it can be tough to get the parts back in perfect alignment when the joint is...
  15. Replies
    Views

I wouldn't let it bother me, I prefer sound to looks. If it has been glued properly, I wouldn't worry about it.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: tenor guitar strings for GDAE tunning

Some tenor guitars use a tailpiece and could use loop ends.
    I guess if you were mega keen you could remove the balls from old strings and fit them to loop end strings but buying single guitar...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Case for small Martin tenor guitar?

I recently picked up a case made for a reproduction baroque guitar and although it fits my size 2, it's very close to my old size 5 tenor case. (I have an 0-17T now so cases are a lot easier to come...
  18. Replies
    Views

There is a specific case Martin had made for these that occasionally come up used. Elderly apparently has had them on back order for about a year. ...
  19. Replies
    Views

My Frank Tate tenor is the same scale length and a not unsimilar body shape - it came with a Gator 3/4 size hardshell case that fit it perfectly. Later on I ended up getting a different case made for...
  20. Replies
    Views

This forum doesn't seem wrong for the question.
    There is a tenor guitar forum, but it doesn't get a
    lot of traffic. Here are a few threads from there.

Gig or inexpensive case for Ibanez tenor...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Ashbury AT-24 tenor guitar?

The USA website let me add it to the basket. I would think that if it was out of stock it would have stopped me but I could be wrong.
  22. Replies
    Views

I didn’t check the guitar but I bought an Ashbury (Hobgoblin label) E32 octave mandolin from China and I love it! (See my vids)
    I played a fair number of Ashbury’s other instruments (pre-covid) and...
  23. Replies
    Views

Don’t know about the US but none of the UK shops has one in stock and they don’t expect them to be available ‘til mid August (which probably means well into 2023!).
  24. Replies
    Views

I have not owned one but I have picked one up in the shop, nice size and shape, seems well built.
    They do a cut away version as well, if you want a hardwood tenor I think they look like a good buy....
  25. Replies
    Views

They apparently are available from Hobgoblin USA as well.

https://www.hobgoblin-usa.com/local/sales/products/GR36114/ashbury-at24-tenor-guitar-solid-sapele-gdae/
Page 1 of 2 1 2