Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Gibson side bulging - looking for repair suggestions

No, too much risk of finish damage, and also not needed. Sometimes they have to be left in the torture rack until they respond, but usually they just push back reasonably well into place. With my...
  2. Re: recommendations for luthier to revoice a mid 60s Gibson F5 ma

Johnathan McClanahan
  3. Re: Hinged tailpiece cover on a Red Diamond mandolin

I think all the vintage models have that tailpiece. I had a July 9 voiced A5 with that tailpiece.
  4. Re: Hinged tailpiece cover on a Red Diamond mandolin

I had a Red Diamond with that tailpiece, it worked well - but not as good as a James.
  5. Re: Hinged tailpiece cover on a Red Diamond mandolin

I believe it's a "Price" made tailpiece
  6. Re: Hinged tailpiece cover on a Red Diamond mandolin

I have one of those too! It came on a 2000 A5 I recently purchased. I don't think it was original...I believe the previous owner got it from Don. I've since replaced it with a James (they seem a...
  7. Re: Hinged tailpiece cover on a Red Diamond mandolin

That is interesting, Charles! And if you’ve never seen it, I know it’s rare! Dan
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Unsigned Loar on Reveb

I suspect inventory control is a contributor. An order would generate a parts bill, each part would be pulled from inventory or manufactured for that batch. Those parts would make ‘x’ instruments. ...
  9. Replies
    Views

Hendrik,

I should have further clarified. I am aware that Joe made that "reserved in advance" caveat for Loar mandolins. However, I disagree with that also. I say this because all mandolins and...
  10. Replies
    Views

These are un-signed Loars. Flowerpot, proper look finish, FON number aligns with the last signed batch of Loars. The only difference is the lack of label, and the serial number are relative to Loar...
  11. Replies
    Views

Yes there are only a handful of true "Unsigned" Loar F-5's! They are all in Varnish finish with the Dark Cremona shades of color, I think all have Gold plated hardware with the same tuners, hardware...
  12. Replies
    Views

What are known as the "unsigned Loars" did not, as far as I know, have a lacquer finish or white plastic used anywhere on them for binding. The "true" "unsigned Loars" were, as Bill Smith and others...
  13. Replies
    Views

I've gotten lots of birthday cards over the years but Lloyd Loar never signed any of them. It just dawned on me that these are unsigned Loar birthday cards!
  14. Replies
    Views

While that's a mighty fine "unknown-not in the archives"1926 Gibson Fern F-5, its for sure not an "Unsigned" Loar! The Unsigned Loars are from 1925 and Varnished, same everything as say a Dec. 1st 24...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: A White Gibson H1 Mandola ... Really?

No idea. Long gone, I reckon. I can't imagine anyone really wanted it, being so large and, as I recall, no great shakes as an instrument. It was a nice prop, but otherwise ... The Crown amp is still...
  16. Re: threaded rod size on teens Gibson pickguard mounts?

McMaster Carr and Fastenal do offer a limited selection of socket head cap screws and nuts in 5-40. The cap screws are hardened to a degree but can be cut with a cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool or...
  17. Re: threaded rod size on teens Gibson pickguard mounts?

You're not going to like the answer on this, but I believe the thread is 5-40, which is no longer in standard use.

If I remember correctly, I have made one up from a brass rod available at Ace and...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Date for Rigel Mandiolin?

My Rigel is #1774, a red label from Hyde Park. It was purchased in the spring of 2003 from First Quality.
  19. Replies
    Views

Scott,
    The information came directly from Pete Langdell. As I remember there were a lot of Rigel dating questions at that time so this was a way to head them off.

My Rigel is #1266, made in the...
  20. Replies
    Views

Eric Foulke posted this in 2009. Don't know of a way to verify but really don't have a reason to doubt it is correct. Better than the typical "contact so and so" responses that dot all of these...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Date fior Rigel Mandiolin?

Do a search on the forum. There are a couple of threads that give date ranges for Rigel serial numbers.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: My mandolin got eaten by a Stratocaster.

It could be worse. You could have taken up golf :))

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Cafe threatened with lawsuit

You are our hero Scott. Dont' think we don't appreciate it!
  24. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Cafe threatened with lawsuit

We received an inquiry from a member a few weeks back asking us to remove a couple of threads, said he was being threatened for them being on this forum and would we remove them? After a few back and...
  25. Re: Strongly considering removing the eBay section on home page

Eh? Didn't Scott's initial post express his frustration with eBay and then ask for thoughts? It seems to me like eBay's usefulness/value (or lack thereof) is sort of the whole point of this thread....
Page 1 of 2 1 2