Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Instrument Case Stand

Here is the finished product. After letting the glue cure, I sanded the pipes with 220 sandpaper to rough up the surface just a bit. I only did enough sanding to remove the shine. After sanding the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Instrument Case Stand

Assembly

Once you have all of your cuts done, let's assemble the two sides. You should dry fit your parts first to make sure you've got everything cut to the right length and pointing the correct...
  3. Replies
    Views

Instrument Case Stand

My wife and I both play musical instruments. As our collection has grown, our instruments have taken up more and more floor space. In an effort to store our instruments efficiently, I decided we...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Annual search for case for H1 style dola

Here is a friend's H2 Mandola in my Collings mandola case. It fits like it was made for it. I hope this helps!

http://i.imgur.com/sHeRRwZ.jpg
  5. Replies
    Views

Praise for Steve Smith

Hello all. A few weeks ago I sent my 1993 Gibson A5L to Steve Smith at Cumberland Acoustics to get some work done, and I just wanted to share my experience.

I had Steve do the following:
    1)...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Siminoff H5 Build

Fretboard Binding and Inlay

I started working on my body binding channel and fretboard this past weekend. I will post about the binding channel when I have completed the scroll channel.

Before...
  7. Replies
    Views

The router platform is indeed adjustable. To set the thickness of the inlay, you have to have the inlay up against the base of the platform next to the bit and adjust until they're the same thickness.
  8. Replies
    Views

Inlay continued

Last night, I glued the inlay pieces in. If you buy the completion kit with your Siminoff kit, you get a nice jar of fine ebony dust for filler. He also sends some great...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Saga AM-10 Build Thread

Oops. Here you go!

http://i.imgur.com/0XZR1bm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VUWjcX1.jpg
  10. Replies
    Views

Neck installation

The next thing I did after finishing the tone bars and kerfing was to install the neck. As a part of my kit I had Roger cut his v-joint for me, which is held firmly by two dowels...
  11. Replies
    Views

Siminoff H5 Build

Hello all. This summer I started working on an H5 kit from Roger Siminoff. To help beginner kit builders like myself, I thought I would start a thread going over the major assembly steps, the tools...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandola bracing...

I'm sure you could do X-Bracing, though I did parallel for mine. The H5 I'm putting together is Adirondack spruce on top with maple back and sides.

http://i.imgur.com/hLq58GM.jpg
  13. Replies
    Views

I finally committed to a stain and finish. I ended up using the Vintage Amber, Medium Brown, and Tobacco Brown stains from Colortone. After staining, I sprayed on a seal coat of shellac. After that...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MDA815 Mandola opinions

Here's a video featuring the J'Bovier FM5 mandola. It looks like a good alternative to the Eastman mandola, and I've heard good things about it (but have yet to play one). However the J'Bovier is...
  15. Replies
    Views

Water or Alcohol for hand applied sunburst

I will soon be attempting my first hand rubbed sunburst stain. I'll be using the Colortone Liquid Stain in three colors as my stains. I plan to follow the application technique shown in the video...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin dealer choices

I've had great experiences with The Mandolin Store, Greg Boyd's House of Fine Instruments, and Janet Davis Music in Bentonville, AR. All three shops gave me great customer service and did terrific...
  17. Re: Post a picture of your completed mandolin built from a kit

Here's my International Violin kit strung up in the white. I still haven't decided what stains I'm going to use to finish it with. After staining, I plan on sealing with shellac with Tru-oil varnish...
  18. Re: whats considered one of the better mandolin kits(A style) to

I'd love to try out one of Chris Baird's kits. They look wonderful. However, I put my name on the waiting list last summer and sent him an email asking about kits a couple of weeks ago. I haven't...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD: Gibson A5L

I prefer the older, loar A5 shape with the slimmer neck block as well. That's one of the reasons I looked for an older A5L. I'm planning on holding onto this one for a long, long time.

It looks...
  20. Replies
    Views

Now there's a neat idea! I think I could pull that off. What do you use for the go bars? Did you buy the ones from stewmac?

In unrelated news, here are my new spool clamps! Hobby Lobby was having...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: newbie here question on weber peg head veneer

Also, if you're looking at a Gallatin, I say go for it. The craftsmanship and wood quality is just as good as the more expensive models. Mine looks and plays great. I bought mine from JDMC. They were...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: newbie here question on weber peg head veneer

That's an ebony veneer. Ebony can have lighter stripes in it, and is referred to as B grade. Some prefer to have a uniform black appearance(A Grade), but mandolin and guitar makers have gradually...