Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

R.i.p. Ian tyson

One of my first music heroes passed a couple days ago. He along with his partner Sylvia Friker first impressed me when I was just 11 years old. I saw them in concert at a small local college and...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: String gauge questions keep coming

Yes it is the Smart GBOM that was at Elderly. When looking around for the same strings it occurs to me that Lawrence may have been guessing from memory what strings he used. So far I haven't found...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: String gauge questions keep coming

Left out the string gauges Lawrence Smart thought were on the mandolin: 47, 31, 24, 13. And here are a couple quick pictures.
    Sorry they are sideways.203779203782203783
  4. Replies
    Views

String gauge questions keep coming

So here is my question on this much discussed topic. I just took possession of a beautiful A Lawrence Smart GBOM, 20-1/2" scale length. Koa back and sides. What would be the closest sets to...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Left to Right conversion

Fortunately no pick guard
  6. Re: Kate Wolf Accompanied By Two Mandolins – 1985

What a great surprise, never knew of Kate Wolf. Where's she been all my musical life?
  7. Re: Happy 70th birthday today to Mike Kemnitzer of Nugget Mandoli

Happy 70th from #43, also a Nederland babe, who has matured into a MAS killer, too. She now resides in Denver close to where she came from.
  8. Re: New and recent Tenor, best than vintage Martin's and Gibson ?

I like Circle Strings tenors.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: How thick of a pick?

If this makes any sense, I find that not only pick thickness but the "swing weight" of a pick affects my playing. I use the analogy of a bamboo fly rod vs a graphite fly rod. When you are casting a...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: 1923 A4 Gibson Value

The store owner said the crack was very shallow and not all the way through. From my cursory observation I would say he's right. Not positive though.

Timbofood it's on consignment so the music...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: What's In Your Mind

I'm not talking about playing mindlessly. However if I'm thinking about Part B of a Monroe tune, and how hard it will be while I'm still playing Part A, then it's more of a distraction I would say. ...
  12. Re: Hypothetical high dollar mando purchase question...

Not advocating that you buy a Nugget or any particular make; that's your decision. I retired last June. However 18 months earlier I fulfilled my life long mandolin retirement dream of finding and...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: General Mandolin Post

2TonCommon, like others, thank you for your comments.
    It strikes me that we often spend more time worrying over chips, scratches, dings, the expenses of our instruments, how many we own, when we...
  14. Re: John Reischman & The Jaybirds, Deep End Sessions

I agree with Don and thanks so much for this . What is the venue where they are playing. I've seen other videos there. It looks almost like a house concert.
  15. Thread: New Hamlett A

by dorenac
    Replies
    Views

Re: New Hamlett A

Here is the headstock ambigram from my new Hamlett #40. Also a couple pictures(poor quality) of the mandolin itself.174910174911174912174913

Click on the images twice and it displays upright. ...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Would appreciate some opinions please.

There's a nice Hamlett A5 (NFI) in the classifieds right now and would be a real steal.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: How Long is Long Enough

Yesterday the wait ended and I must say it turned out a happy ending. A new custom made bridge saddle, with a new set of strings, and this mandolin is sounding like her old self. Loud, clear, warm...
  18. Thread: New Hamlett A

by dorenac
    Replies
    Views

Re: New Hamlett A

Still working on getting photos of #40 as soon as the weather breaks. In the mean time John's sense of design and detail is also very nice. I've always liked the headstock shape of his A models. ...
  19. Thread: New Hamlett A

by dorenac
    Replies
    Views

New Hamlett A

A few years back I posted having acquired a John Hamlett F5 mandolin. And I swooned over it and recommended to anyone looking for a builder that John should be included for consideration. Well I now...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: How Long is Long Enough

As of the end of this week still no bridge and no communication from my builder. I will be buying another mandolin which should be in next week. John Hamlett a.k.a. Sunburst has an A model...
  21. Replies
    Views

More Than I Expected

Well last week I did it and am very pleased that I did. There was a Circle Strings tenor guitar in the classifieds. I pulled the trigger and got it last weekend. I had heard and read very good...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: New bridge saddle

This instrument was built in 1979 and I believe I might be its 3rd owner. I don't care to mention the name as it's irrelevant and I don't want it to reflect on the builder. Suffice it to say it's a...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Glue for F-5 Bone Point Protector

I used a CA glue to very carefully reglue a point protector. Cleaned a residue adhesive from the initial gluing first. Worked fine.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Apitius or Collings?

Just another opinion. One of the best sounding mandolins I've heard among many is the Apitius that belongs/belonged? to Pete Frostic, formerly of Old School Freight Train. As I say I don't know if...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Jacob Reuven and Kermans!

I have a friend who just donated his Kerman back to Jacob Rueven about 2 weeks ago on visit to New Hampshire. This friend living in Virginia went to Israel years ago to meet, visit, and purchase...
Page 1 of 2 1 2