Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler: Take II

No harm done Paul, I was just a little anxious about going down a more distracting road, with your suggestion followed by Spencer mentioned how he'd insured the last one. Most folk did not buy...
  2. Replies
    Views

Totally unnecessary anyway Paul, IMO. This is supposed to be a fun gesture using good faith and the honor system. Too much protectionism would just ruin it, I think. Who would be reimbursed? You...
  3. Replies
    Views

The last sampler contained two Blue Chip picks, Wegens, etc. and no one was required to insure them when shipping. Let's not get complicated, simple rules and just do it.
  4. Replies
    Views

^ That's why I said ixnay on the insurance. It's hard enough to convince musicians a single pick is worth $40 :)
  5. Replies
    Views

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that original receipts showing the purchase price of each and every item in the insured parcel, was required in order to collect on an insurance claim for...
  6. Replies
    Views

When I shipped the original sampler it had about 45 picks... I think I insured it and the total was under $10... It was a while back so I not 100 % certain though.
  7. Replies
    Views

Amazing Grace - Kentlands Acoustic Jam

This song is going out in memory of those who fell.

https://youtu.be/XGFUeADeSao

Sandy Hook Elementary School
    Aurora, Colorado
    Dallas, Texas
    San Bernadino, California
    etc...
  8. Mandolin tasting.... Can you identify the mandolins?

I haven't seen one of these threads in awhile... and I was recording for fun tonight...soo, if you're bored, take a listen and see if you can identify which mandolin is which.

The 3 mandolins:...
  9. Replies
    Views

I do like a good poem!

May my truss rod never slacken

I found this on Facebook, written by Duncan Campbell. I could have corrected a few technical errors, but it’s usually best to leave originals as they are.

May...
  10. Re: when the stars make you drool just like pasta fazool ...

When you swim in the sea and a fish bites your knee...that's a Moray!! (anyway, thats how I learned it!) :)
  11. Re: Can Guitar Lessons Help Me Play Mandolin Better?

Paul
    sounds excellent, hopefully you and the new teacher connect-come back and let us know how you feel about it all when you've had time to get a feel on it.

d
  12. Re: Can Guitar Lessons Help Me Play Mandolin Better?

Great. Let us know how it goes!
  13. Re: Can Guitar Lessons Help Me Play Mandolin Better?

Not really. A little bit yes. Both are fretted string instruments. It helps to recognize chords on the guitar players hand. But a mandolin is very different. But it won't hurt, unless you spend more...
  14. Re: Can Guitar Lessons Help Me Play Mandolin Better?

Well, I would say no mostly. Knowing the guitar before I came to the mandolin was helpful as I can read music, have a good ear, recognize chord shapes and so on but I knew nothing about even holding...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Can Guitar Lessons Help Me Play Mandolin Better?

In that case, I would really try to take mandolin lessons in person. I too have tried a variety of online lessons and have found them of limited usefulness. On the other hand, my hour in person...
  16. Re: Can Guitar Lessons Help Me Play Mandolin Better?

I'm like Jim B and Astro above: a long-time guitar player who picked up mandolin a few years ago. They emphasize benefits of mandolin on their guitar playing, especially regarding righthand...
  17. Re: Can Guitar Lessons Help Me Play Mandolin Better?

That's it then. Mandolin lessons or bust. :)
  18. Re: Can Guitar Lessons Help Me Play Mandolin Better?

Have you looked into Skype lesson? Music theory would transfer. One of the best learning tools is listening to recordings (I like to slow them down using Audacity) and learn from the source. I...
  19. Re: Can Guitar Lessons Help Me Play Mandolin Better?

I come from the same background. I've played guitar for 45 years (gawd, I'm getting old), have played jazz, folk & rock. Playing mandolin for the last 5 years has improved my guitar playing...
  20. Re: Can Guitar Lessons Help Me Play Mandolin Better?

It might not take as many lessons as you suspect. I've taken two groups of four 30 min in-person lessons and it probably was the best thing I've done instruction wise. It will matter greatly the...
  21. Re: Can Guitar Lessons Help Me Play Mandolin Better?

One thing that hasn't come out yet: do you already play guitar? Sounds like you've been teaching yourself mandolin, maybe from YouTube etc? If the same is true of guitar, then yes, having lessons...
  22. Re: Can Guitar Lessons Help Me Play Mandolin Better?

This can be a real life saver. When I was jamming regularly (before my hearing went bad) the first thing I did was figure out who the best rhythm guitarist in the circle was and I positioned myself...
  23. Re: Can Guitar Lessons Help Me Play Mandolin Better?

IF you are real solid on the first instrument then learning another can help a bunch. Learning to play mandolin has helped me on guitar but I had a fairly solid base on guitar to work from. ...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Can Guitar Lessons Help Me Play Mandolin Better?

I would say yes, for two reasons. One, guitar is the lingua Franca for acoustic music in the same way piano is for classical and jazz. It is as much a means of musical communication as it is an...
  25. Re: Can Guitar Lessons Help Me Play Mandolin Better?

you might consider some of the online mandolin teachers-most places have free trial lessons, Artistworks/Mike Marshall, Peghead Nation with Sharon Gilchrist/Joe Walsh, then there are a couple others...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3