Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: "Gibson" (not "The Gibson") script tailpiece cover

Maybe off an A-9 or F-9?
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: the Loar VS Eastman VS Kentucky

I think it’s unfair to compare The Loars very lowest model (with laminate b/s, as you mentioned) to all solid wood mandolins. You should compare The Loar LM5xx, LM6xx, or LM7xx.
  3. Replies
    Views

DataNick on Bluegrasstoday

I just wanted to give a shout out for DataNick who has this on Bluegrasstoday:

https://bluegrasstoday.com/california-report-san-diego-mandolinist-b-k-nick-nicholson/

I miss his quality posts...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: need advide on raising action

I do it the easy way, with no math required. I just turn the wheels until I get no fret buzz, and take whatever action height at the 12th fret that gives. Different players have different opinions...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Comparing a The Loar to a 1987 Flatiron

The Flatiron made several models in that time period. Each was different in several ways and everything affects tone. You did not mention which Flatiron A model you have. They are good mandolins,...
  6. Thread: Modern sound??

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

Re: Modern sound??

Modern or traditional sound built into mandolin is red herring IMHO.
    If you take Monroe's mandolin and put it into hands of "modern player" the mandolin will sound like the modern player not like...
  7. Re: F-style recommendation for 6-800 dollars and online tutorials

Everyone is entitled to their opinion; but I’m in the opposite camp from Alex. If you want an F, I would say to get the best F you can afford. Certainly, know that an A will give more bang for the...
  8. Re: Trying to learn what makes a great new build (not vintage) ..

You're not kidding. I saw a pic of one of Ken Ratcliff's Fantasm 3-pointers and fell in love. Seriously thinking about having him build one for me this Summer. I get the same way about guitars and...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Distressed Mandolin and Regular Playing

To start I'll say to each their own. It's your instrument, so if having it look distressed is to your liking, and you are willing to pay for it, so be it.
    Long ago I got in the habit of returning...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Old New Guy -Any second day tips?

Yes.
    1. Don’t make work out of this. It’s supposed to be fun, not drudgery, so don’t push yourself too hard. I did that 25 years ago and burned myself out. It took that long and a pandemic to get me...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Dealing with pokey string ends?

I simply chop them off level with the top of the tuner post and get over it.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin pick guards

https://www.rocky-52.net/photos_m/monroe_bill.jpg
  13. Re: Gibson Master Model vs Custom Master Model - advice please

Assuming you're buying an instrument to play it, if you don't like the sound now, don't buy it. If you think other strings, pick or different room will enhance the sound, good luck to you.

If its...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Sonny Osborne passes

Saw the Osborne Brothers live and up-close at Club 47 off Harvard Square, probably 1963 or '64. They were working as a trio with Benny Birchfield on guitar; obviously cashing in on the "folk...
  15. Replies
    Views

Sonny Osborne passes

Sonny Osborne passed away this afternoon at 1:30. Another giant of bluegrass music gone.

https://bluegrasstoday.com/sonny-osborne-passes-a-giant-in-bluegrass-music/
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD504 Available

:popcorn: just a matter of time.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Pricing?

There's almost a thousand instruments here in the Cafe classifieds.

Shortage?
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Pricing?

Supply and demand, or market forces are important, but when we get into the "higher end" market, especially hand built mandolins, branding becomes much more important for determining prices.
    We've...
  19. Re: New (to me) Gibson A5L . To scoop of not....

I find the unscooped Florida is also a good reminder about right hand location, which can move forward toward the nut for richness on the bass courses but must come back toward the bridge for added...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Cumberland bridge on Loar LM500 ?

I certainly appreciate your input but my feelings
    would be hurt if I bought a finely balanced 5000.00 mandolin and it came with a crappy bridge. Maybe you mean if my current bridge was installed on...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando upgrade - opinions sought

You can put 5 mandolins in a room ranging from $4000 to $7000 and hear and feel a HUGE difference between them and it has nothing to do with the price tag. That's my own experience. Mandolins are...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD305 Bridge

I’m kind of new at this. But I’m pretty good at searching You Tube videos for help. But when I see “Burp” I go, “Ok, I’m slow but friendly.”
    So J Mangio. I apologize. I thought you were being...
  23. Replies
    Views

Today only $50 mandolin

NFI

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid
  24. Thread: Tailpiece

by CWRoyds
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tailpiece

I have an Allen on one mandolin and a James on the other.
    The James is superior to me.

The Allen is a nice tailpiece, and works just fine.
    My issue with it is that you have to use a capo to...
  25. Thread: Tailpiece

by RobH
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tailpiece

I have a TR1 and a TR3. They are almost identical in function, just slight casting differences. I like the way they look and they are functional enough because I don't change strings too often and...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4