Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Doers this tune already exist?

I think that anyone who writes much has this issue, in two ways

1. writing "new" songs that aren't actually new
    2. writing songs that just seem so natural that they MUST have been done before, or...
  2. Replies
    Views

Help for stage fright & essential tremor

I suffer from "essential tremor," and it gets worse every year. Lately I've had trouble playing stuff I'd previously had down, especially when folks are watching. (It's also increased by stress, of...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Buzzing amp

In my experience, playing electric guitar since the 70's, amps always buzz for magnetic pickups, if I'm not touching the strings or another grounding on the guitar. More or less buzzing depending on...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Illustrated Mandolin Chord Bible

I agree with your choice to leave the nut out of the graphics. I think it would just cause more confusion, especially for beginners.

I see why others suggest making the fingering charts vertical,...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar flight case in overhead?

If they don't let you carry it on, you check it at the gate. It gets hand-packed below. After landing, it's usually in the jetway, along with the baby strollers as mentioned above. They give you a...
  6. Re: How long does it take to get over fumble fingers?

Bingo.

Occasionally adults have asked me about starting to play a (first) instrument as an adult. I'm always optimistic, but my reply is something like this. Children learn to play much more...
  7. Re: HELP! I'm Running Sound For the (sort've) First Time

Just remember: the sound guy is the first to arrive, last to leave, lowest paid, blamed if it sounds bad, ignored it if sounds good, and heads home alone. Other than that, it's a great gig!

Sound...
  8. Re: How long does it take to get over fumble fingers?

If the problem is playing faster (even if your top speed isn't very high), there's good thread or three thread for that.
  9. Thread: Rythm

by JeffLearman
    Replies
    Views

Re: Rythm

No kidding. Of course, it's because the word has two meanings; one being related to timing, and the other being related to role (lead vs. backup.) And usually, folks are taking this second meaning....
  10. Re: How long does it take to get over fumble fingers?

Yeah, forever. However, I suspect most of us saying that should also notice that over the decades we've slowly raised the bar. Possibly the same perfect-to-fumble ratio, but what we're doing keeps...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Standard Chord Shape Series

I'm really looking forward to seeing the other pages! This is the equivalent of what guitarists call the "CAGED" system, basing barre chords on the corresponding open chords. For example, the first...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Earplugs for loud session?

I second the recommendation for these Etymotic earplugs as a great low-cost solution. I've been playing at too-loud blues jams for decades and these really help. In addition to reducing ear strain,...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Standard Chord Shape Series

If you're trying to appeal to a general audience, I'd avoid calling a minor 7 chord "minor dominant." That term is pretty much only heard when discussing music theory You could put it in a...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: How to hold the pick

This post: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/135165-How-to-hold-the-pick?p=1603809&viewfull=1#post1603809 has some good pictures, and shows half of the range I discuss above. Any of them...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: How to hold the pick

In over 50 years of playing guitar with a number of folks at different levels and with different styles, all I can say is that the best players use the whole spectrum, from what I was taught at one...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: 1924 Lloyd Loar at Elderly Instruments

In general, buying things like art and antiques in hopes that their value will increase is a bad investment strategy. While there are plenty of success stories, they're far outweighed by the...
  17. Re: How does it work when people are playing together?

I would imagine that everyone needs to be on the same page!

Sometimes different arrangements use "enharmonic" chords, and these often work when both are played together. (An example of enharmonic...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: I Just Bought A Violin

I read elsewhere that flatter bridge makes double stops easier. I don't understand that a bit. Seems to me that with a classical bridge, double stops have a narrower angle of tolerance than single...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: I Just Bought A Violin

Yeah, that's indisputable. I'd bet that most "fiddle" players use an instrument set up pretty much the same way as a classical violinist's. But I wouldn't be surprised if some (especially those...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: "Noodling" at Sessions

It's not universal! There's lots of variety. Find one that suits you and go for it! Don't be discouraged before checking them out.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: What's in public domain these days?

Not much has changed (in fact, too little has changed.) As I said above, it varies dramatically with location. Many of the venues you play at pay the fees so it doesn't matter. Others don't pay...
  22. Replies
    Views

Just FYI, your arrangements are automatically copyrighted. But if you don't care, nobody else should either.
  23. Replies
    Views

Correct except one thing. For most purposes, there isn't much distinction between "copyrighted" and "registered copyright." IANAL, but my father is a retired patent attorney and we've discussed the...
  24. Replies
    Views

If it's traditional, it's fair play, as long as you're not copying anyone's arrangement (and even that is debatable.) Be sure to listen to all versions you can find, and don't copy anything that's...
  25. Replies
    Views

My understanding is that it varies a LOT by location. It's up to the agents for an area how aggressive to be. But I believe they're incentivized to squeeze as much revenue as possible, leading to...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3