Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Hopefully better questions about Brazilian Rosewood

Your photo did not upload.

When I go to fancy guitar shows these days, everyone acts like they are Pablo Escobar selling wood behind the scenes. Counterfeit documentation and receipts from the pre...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Do you apply oil to your fretboard?

I use a product called Lem-Oil Fret Board Conditioner, by Kyser. As PT66 said, use sparingly and wipe off excess. My luthier prefers to use just a bit of Johnson's Paste Wax, but most of the folks...
  3. Re: Sam Bush and David Grisman named to the Bluegrass Hall of Fam

You know when you hear the news that a celebrity has passed and your first thought is "wait, they were still alive?" Well, as an at best casual BG fan, when I saw this thread title my first thought...
  4. Sam Bush and David Grisman named to the Bluegrass Hall of Fame

Excellent!

Sam Bush performed during the ceremony announcing IBMA award nominees, just before IBMA's Paul Schiminger broke the news. Wilma Lee Cooper is also being inducted as an early influence....
  5. Re: Maintenance of rosewood with tung oil finish

The piano has some kind of finish on the wood, at least on the exterior. Fret boards are almost always unfinished oily wood. Two different animals regarding applying oils to what's there. If the...
  6. Re: Maintenance of rosewood with tung oil finish

True dat!
    Back when I played piano I loved big Steinway grands (also Kawai and some others) and would have loved to own one but had no space. Now I could made room for one in the house but I can't...
  7. Re: Maintenance of rosewood with tung oil finish

Beautiful Steinway, btw....:cool:
  8. Re: Maintenance of rosewood with tung oil finish

Nope.

The "pure lemon oil" that you are using, if we assume that it is in fact pure lemon oil, is an essential oil and, used sparingly, does no particular harm.

Marketers of fingerboard...
  9. Re: Maintenance of rosewood with tung oil finish

Most commercial "lemon oil" is mineral oil with added fragrance and other things.
    A tung oil finish only needs maintenance if it is damaged, and more tung oil is probably the best thing if needed.
  10. Replies
    Views

Illustrated Mandolin Chord Bible

As some of our members here know already, I began working on an illustrated book of mandolin chords several years ago. Lifestyle changes and projected publishing costs put a damper on the project,...
  11. Re: Trouble with my mandolin not agreeing with my straps

Have you also experienced this issue with other brands of mandolin? I don't think it's something that is unique to Eastman mandolins - I just picked up my Girouard Concert A, and with the strap over...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Martin D-18 Bridge plate issue

This is my most recent spruce patch repair, on a 1945 D-28 with a long history in Folk/Bluegrass. The hole through the top was 1/4" bigger than the bridge, all the way around. Previous repair from...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Advantages of stereo matched pair?

I think it mainly depends on what type of stereo mic technique you're using, because there are different setups. If you're using a "coincident" technique like X/Y or a Blumlein pair, that's where...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin solo gigs with backing tracks?

Epilogue: After Hurricane Wilma clobbered us in 2005, closing down the entire music scene for over a month, when clubs began to open one by one, they hired only solos and solos with backing tracks....
  15. Replies
    Views

Chord Shapes: Minor 7th

Hey all,

I just posted the newest thread in my Chord Shapes series. Here's some great Minor 7th shapes and ideas. https://mattcbruno.com/2022/07/11/chord-shapes-minor-dom7-shapes/

I hope they...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Jam Etiquette re: Playing Mandolin Chords

If the players are actually playing or trying to play bluegrass, it is entirely likely that they will insist on the mandolin playing chop technique, chop chords and bluegrass timing, as well as...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Jam Etiquette re: Playing Mandolin Chords

Chopping is a nice effect, which more or less emulates a snare drum. It has its place.
    I find it to be an important element in up-tempo, cut time bluegrass songs.

I do not feel that chopping...
  18. Re: How long does it take to get over fumble fingers?

On a more practical bend, what weight strings are you using? Nobody insists you use heavy strings or medium strings if lightweight will do and are less painful. Granted, once you get used to a...
  19. Re: How long does it take to get over fumble fingers?

All of the above. Plus, keep the following in mind.

"People overestimate what can be done in one year, and underestimate what can be done in ten."

It is difficult to maintain motivation over...
  20. Re: How long does it take to get over fumble fingers?

Good advice all around. I would add to find one or two folks to get together and play on a regular basis. Jams are fine but the tempos are usually too fast for beginners and not geared for them.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Earplugs for loud session?

Everyone is definitely not hearing the same thing, and in fact many are not hearing what they think they are hearing.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Earplugs for loud session?

I haven't tried these, but they are designed to lop off the extra decibels without muffling the tone....
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: This just showed up in my inbox re: Gibson guitars

Adverse posession is common part of law. Here in slovakia there is a limit though that you have to use the property (real estate) in good faith. My MIL won a court over borders of her land when...
  24. Re: This just showed up in my inbox re: Gibson guitars

Sorta the point I was trying to make with the scroll-&-points "F" silhouette. There were quite a few individual luthiers a few years ago, who built mandolins copying Gibson F-5's, and inlaid...
  25. Re: How does it work when people are playing together?

That’s all the more relevant when contrasting something written vs. the identical words spoken. Many an online misunderstanding or war of words would have been avoided had tone of voice been possible...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4