Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

stringalong, that's wonderful playing by you and your friend on the fiddle. Let me embed that for you so more people will listen/watch.

USzoi1B-tUA

Edit: Weird thumbnail on the video, but once...
  2. Replies
    Views

https://youtu.be/Stk-kkaubLk
  3. Replies
    Views

Clumsy today, this is how I mess up a good tune! :))

https://youtu.be/i1mwiKPMgj0
    https://youtu.be/i1mwiKPMgj0

(Been learning some great tunes from Joe K Walsh, John Reischman and Marla...
  4. Replies
    Views

Still a bit rough but I just discovered this lovely little foot tapper and had to share.
    I’ve posted the PDF and TAB in YT details.
    I think it sounds OldTime.
    Hope you guys enjoy it.

5. Replies
    Views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3NPcgAOxyE
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: What's the best way to dust my fretboard?

Is canned air just air, or is there some kind of propellant that we wouldn't want on our instruments? I'm a bit leery.

On e-cloths, I looked on amazon as well, after stringalong mentioned it, and...
  7. Replies
    Views

Paint brush.
  8. Re: What's the best way to dust my fretboard?

Not to be a smarta*s, but I'd keep 'em in their cases. For reasons including, but not limited to, dust protection.

You can find at a general music store, a variety of soft-bristled tools for use...
  9. Replies
    Views

Just take a rag and slide it between the frets and the strings.
  10. Replies
    Views

I use a medium sized paint/artist brush, I’ve also used a woman’s makeup brush the kind they use for putting on their blush. Both are pretty soft bristled.
  11. Replies
    Views

Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

Hi fellow mandolin lovers. For some sort of continuity I've decided to start this thread to post my videos.Most all my music is done here in my kitchen. Low tech. Tascam DR07 mk-ll, no effects, for...
  12. Re: How do I put 2 recordings from Windows Media Player to YouTub

Many thanks, Stringalong, and very kind of you to offer. I am not going to be near my computer at the time you mention this evening - I believe it is 8 hours time difference between PST and my time...
  13. Re: How do I put 2 recordings from Windows Media Player to YouTub

You need to find the folder in which your mp3 is stored on your computer, Stringalong, and also the folder with your picture(s) in it.
    Open VSDC Then from the Start Project Now screen which comes up...
  14. Re: Need suggestions: the diffrecne betw old time jam and song ci

That can be a problem with cafe and restaurant venues, yes. You're taking up space, and some people won't even order a coffee or beer in appreciation for having a place to play music. They'll just...
  15. Replies
    Views

Why/how did you start playing mandolin?

Another thread brought this to mind.

I was gifted a MIJ "Flamenco" mandolin when I was five to nine years old, passed down to me from an elderly neighbour in the early 70's. I never heard him...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Italian Mandolin music being forgotten ???

This video found me today on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMJn7co1YOM
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Pentatonic scales over which major scales?

Mel bay has an excellent book on using the oentatonic scale.

After you've exhausted the tonic over tonic (c over c) try a g over c. The notes you use are all diatonic to the scale. G A B D E.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Pentatonic scales over which major scales?

"There are some notes in the pentatonic that don't harmonize with other notes that are in the same-key major scale. I thought pentatonic scales were supposed to harmonize 100% with a key scale?"
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Octaves: Guitar Bodied or Not?

The whole reason I went to the mandolin way back in the day was because it wasn't a guitar. Didn't look like a guitar, sound like a guitar or play like a guitar. Nobody was going to confuse me with a...
  20. Thread: So few women

by catmandu2
    Replies
    Views

Re: So few women

Additionally - to f-path's:

Dont know where I heard it - concertina is/was/somewhere/'historically' regarded as a lass's instrument; it certainly is the more 'demure' of the free-reeds - although...
  21. Replies
    Views

While I'd like to see more women in all genres of music, there are a few genres like OldTime and Irish/Scottish trad where you might have a better chance of meeting female musicians.

I was at a...
  22. Replies
    Views

It's still the societal norm that the men get to play and the women tend to the home and the kids. Not being political or anything else, and not saying that the men don't work too, but if we're being...
  23. Thread: So few women

by Cindy
    Replies
    Views

So few women

Too often I am the only representative of my gender at the jam (OT, BG). I have asked the women who sometimes come why they don't come more often. Their reasons involve other obligations: relatives...
  24. Re: Where can I find public domain photos of jams?

Offer jam host to buy pizza for a photo session...invite local Getty/IStock photog to shoot and bring model releases. You get content, jammers get pizza and maybe a portrait, photog gets access,...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Ethics of filming amateur musicicans

I don't know, but it's happened to us many times. Usually alcohol is the culprit. One time a guy came up to our guitar player and said, "let me play, I'm better than you are!" Gtr player said, "get...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3